What is born by moisture?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
TRobinson465

What is born by moisture?

Post by TRobinson465 »

Hello fellow Samsarans,

I am confused by what it means to be born by moisture. The Maha-sihanada Sutta states

"Sariputta, there are these four kinds of generation. What are the four? Egg-born generation, womb-born generation, moisture-born generation and spontaneous generation.

"What is egg-born generation? There are these beings born by breaking out of the shell of an egg; this is called egg-born generation. What is womb-born generation? There are these beings born by breaking out from the caul; this is called womb-born generation. What is moisture-born generation? There are these beings born in a rotten fish, in a rotten corpse, in rotten dough, in a cesspit, or in a sewer; this is called moisture-born generation. What is spontaneous generation? There are gods and denizens of hell and certain human beings and some beings in the lower worlds; this is called spontaneous generation. These are the four kinds of generation.
Perhaps I am lacking in understanding of biology or something and cant think of an example, but what are some creatures that are moisture born? It seems almost like hes talking about bacteria, but you cant be reborn as bacteria right?
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
DNS
Site Admin

Re: What is born by moisture?

Post by DNS »

It probably refers to insects. Insects often mate and lay eggs in moisture. Insects are members of the Animal Kingdom, so would still be included in the Buddhist cosmology of potential rebirth destinations.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

I was thinking that too, but figured insects would technically count as egg-born. although i guess if the Buddha said insects were born of eggs no1 would understand since they didn't know that back then.

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:46 am What is womb-born generation? There are these beings born by breaking out from the caul; this is called womb-born generation.

What is spontaneous generation? There are gods and denizens of hell and certain human beings and some beings in the lower worlds; this is called spontaneous generation.
In Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation of SN 12.2, he adds "womb" (which is not in the Pali) as follows:
“And what, bhikkhus, is birth? The birth of the various beings into the various orders of beings, their being born, descent [into the womb], production, the manifestation of the aggregates, the obtaining of the sense bases. This is called birth.

https://suttacentral.net/sn12.2/en/bodhi
Why is this "womb birth" rather than say "spontaneous birth"? :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
chownah

Post by chownah »

Isn't athletes' foot born of moisture....also, crotch rot?
chownah
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

chownah wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:34 am Isn't athletes' foot born of moisture....also, crotch rot?
chownah
U can be reborn as fungus?

santa100

Post by santa100 »

TRobinson465 wrote:but what are some creatures that are moisture born?
MN 12 wrote:What is moisture-born generation? There are these beings born in a rotten fish, in a rotten corpse, in rotten porridge, in a cesspit, or in a sewer; this is called moisture-born generation.
Probably maggots and various kinds of larvas.
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

https://opentextbc.ca/biology/chapter/1 ... reproduce/

I take it to be Asexual Reproduction, like Fission, Budding, Fragmentation, or external fertilization.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

DNS wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:52 am It probably refers to insects. Insects often mate and lay eggs in moisture. Insects are members of the Animal Kingdom, so would still be included in the Buddhist cosmology of potential rebirth destinations.
TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 am I was thinking that too, but figured insects would technically count as egg-born. although i guess if the Buddha said insects were born of eggs no1 would understand since they didn't know that back then.
no, buddhas only speak factually. the last couple of answers seem more likely
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

salayatananirodha wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:35 am
DNS wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:52 am It probably refers to insects. Insects often mate and lay eggs in moisture. Insects are members of the Animal Kingdom, so would still be included in the Buddhist cosmology of potential rebirth destinations.
TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:55 am I was thinking that too, but figured insects would technically count as egg-born. although i guess if the Buddha said insects were born of eggs no1 would understand since they didn't know that back then.
no, buddhas only speak factually. the last couple of answers seem more likely
I have read that what is born of moisture is really with micro eggs laid on moisture invisible to naked eyes.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Mosquitoes seem like a good example. I think some people put gasoline in stagnant water to keep this from happening.