What exactly is Ekagata. (One pointedness)?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DooDoot

Re: What exactly is Ekagata. (One pointedness)?

Post by DooDoot »

AgarikaJ wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:58 pm The mind was upheld by the vitakka and vicāra, and stabilized by the bliss. At that moment, you could say it was dependent on the power of absorption (jhāna) if you like, I don’t know. That’s just how it was. If you want to call it absorption, then go ahead. Before long, vitakka and vicāra were abandoned, rapture disappeared and the mind had a single focus (ekaggatā), samādhi was firmly established, and the lucid calm that is a foundation for wisdom had arisen.
The above text appears contrary to the suttas. If Ajahn Chah spoke it, it appears he was mistaken. Otherwise, it could simply be a mistranslation from Thai into English. The suttas say ekaggatā is in every jhana yet the text above appears to say ekaggatā appears when rapture ends, i.e., in the 3rd jhana.
SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:44 pmThanks, AJ. That book (Stillness Flowing) seems to be very good book.
Based on the passage above, the book seems to have ideas in it that are contrary to the suttas.
AgarikaJ wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 pmThis makes it not easy to take in the value of their message, if there is one, it gets drowned in the manner of their words spoken.
What is true is based on the suttas that can be verified via experience. The world has many people in many avenues of life using persuasive techniques to promote false messages. For example, often war propaganda is done in this way; such as liberating or bringing democracy the people of Iraq or Libya via war. There are whole industries engaged in persuasive propaganda, which includes the Spirituality Industry.
AgarikaJ wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:41 pm I would wish that nobody be deterred by such behavior, as there are many who come here to learn, which is only possible by following measured discourses and recognizing where there was truth stated.
To learn requires learning what can be learned, practised and verified. The Dhamma is often summarised as:

1. Study

2. Practise

3. Realisation.

Certain ideas posted in this topic by certain posters cannot be practised and they cannot be realised because they are not real. They are ideas based on reductionist "inductive reasoning" rather than things based in experience.
SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:48 pmEkagata in Samatha and the Ekagata in Vipassana seems to be two different type of experience.
In summary, there appears to be no evidence in the suttas (nor in experience) ekaggatā exists in every mind moment or that there is different ekaggatā in Samatha and Vipassana. It is such ideas that will thoroughly confused people. When we say: "there are many who come here to learn", what exactly do we want them to learn? What is "learning" in Buddhism?
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Based on the passage above, the book seems to have ideas in it that are contrary to the suttas.
Could you tell me where it is?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 pmCould you tell me where it is?
Its noted in my post. Read my post. Thanks
Ajahn Chah wrote:Before long, vitakka and vicāra were abandoned, rapture disappeared and the mind had a single focus (ekaggatā), samādhi was firmly established, and the lucid calm that is a foundation for wisdom had arisen.
MN 43 wrote:The first jhana has five factors. There is the case where, in a monk who has attained the five-factored first jhana, there occurs directed thought, evaluation, rapture, pleasure, & singleness (ekaggatā) of mind.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:15 am
SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:48 pmCould you tell me where it is?
Its noted in my post. Read my post. Thanks
Ajahn Chah wrote:Before long, vitakka and vicāra were abandoned, rapture disappeared and the mind had a single focus (ekaggatā), samādhi was firmly established, and the lucid calm that is a foundation for wisdom had arisen.
MN 43 wrote:The first jhana has five factors. There is the case where, in a monk who has attained the five-factored first jhana, there occurs directed thought, evaluation, rapture, pleasure, & singleness (ekaggatā) of mind.
Isn't he talking about fourth Jhana?
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:48 amIsn't he talking about fourth Jhana?
If you read my post, that is what I already said, namely, he is at least referring to the 3rd jhana; even the 4th. The point I was making was the quote from Ajahn Chah does not explain what ekaggata is because ekaggata is also a factor of the 1st jhana.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Ajahn Chah does not explain what ekaggata is because ekaggata is also a factor of the 1st jhana.
What is your opinion on why there is all four factors in first Jhana?
WorldTraveller

Post by WorldTraveller »

DooDoot wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 pm
SarathW wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:44 pmThanks, AJ. That book (Stillness Flowing) seems to be very good book.
Yes DD, this is not the first time, even in this forum, Ajahn Chah's teachings contradict with suttas. Wonder why people need endless "spiritual shopping" when Buddha said: "After my passing away, Dhamma will be the Master" ? :shrug:
SarathW wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:08 am
Ajahn Chah does not explain what ekaggata is because ekaggata is also a factor of the 1st jhana.
What is your opinion on why there is all four factors in first Jhana?
See the below post. Sutta itself explains clearly & gradually:
Stillness wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:42 am ...
According to AN 3.101, Paṃsudhovaka-sutta (has 3 parallels), in order to achieve an internally stilled mind which is capable of realizing anything that can be realized by insight, we even have to let go of thoughts about the teachings (dhamma vitakkas).
[1]mind has coarse corruptions: bad bodily, verbal, and mental conduct. A sincere, capable mendicant gives these up, gets rid of, eliminates, and exterminates them. When they’ve been given up and eliminated,
[2]there are middling corruptions: sensual, malicious, or cruel thoughts. A sincere, capable mendicant...
[3]there are fine corruptions: thoughts of family, country, and being looked up to. A sincere, capable mendicant…
[4]only thoughts about the teaching (dhamma vitakka) are left. That samādhi is not peaceful or sublime or tranquil or unified, but is held in place by forceful suppression (So hoti samādhi na ceva santo na ca paṇīto nappaṭippassaddhaladdho na ekodibhāvādhigato sasaṅkhāraniggayhavāritagato).

But there comes a time when that mind is stilled internally; it settles, unifies, and becomes immersed in samādhi. That immersion is peaceful and sublime and tranquil and unified, not held in place by forceful suppression. They become capable of realizing anything that can be realized by insight to which they extend the mind, in each and every case.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

WorldTraveller wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:09 amThat immersion is peaceful and sublime and tranquil and unified, not held in place by forceful suppression.
:goodpost:

While there are many nuances/degrees of "suppression" and "volitional mental control" to reach jhana (which include skill at "letting go" per SN 48.10), in my opinion, the above quote highlighted in red color is the core characteristic of "ekaggata" and the best answer to the question provided so far.

Ajahn Brahm explains below:
In jhana, one is on automatic pilot, as it were, with no sense of being in control.

https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Ajahn ... Jhanas.pdf
To me, ekkaggata something that happens to the mind when absolutely all willful effort ceases in perfect unmoving concentration (for which the nimitta is also the object which the mind is glued to). Its like a wheel that becomes fixed to an axle. The fixing is ekkaggata. Yet, in the 1st jhana, the mind (the wheel) can still spin around the axle with some "circumspection" of the jhana factors (in what Ajahn calls the "jhana wobble"). While the concentration part of the mind is fixed in ekkaggata; the wisdom (sati-sampajanna) part of the mind still has the capacity to operate and do some letting go when the mind is seduced by the bliss and awe of the jhana. Ajahn Brahm explains vitakka and vicara below:
The “Wobble” (Vitakka and Vicára). All jhanas are states of unmoving
bliss, almost
. However, in the first jhana, there is some movement
discernible. I call this movement the “wobble” of first jhana. One is
aware of great bliss, so powerful it has subdued completely the part of
the ego that wills and does. In jhana, one is on automatic pilot, as it
were, with no sense if being in control. However, the bliss is so delicious
that it can generate a small residue of attachment. The mind, not the
doer, instinctively grasps at the bliss. Because the bliss of first jhana is
fuelled by letting go, such involuntary grasping weakens the bliss.
Seeing the bliss weaken, the mind automatically lets go of its grasping
and the bliss increases in power again. The mind then grasps again,
then lets go again. Such subtle involuntary movement gives rise to the
wobble of first jhana.

This wobble is, in fact, the pair of first jhana factors called vitakka and
vicára. Vicára is the involuntary grasping of bliss. Vitakka is the
automatic movement back into bliss.

https://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Ajahn ... Jhanas.pdf

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Hi DD
My understanding is that you and Ajahn Braham both have no confidence or faith in Abhidhamma.
If Ajahn had the knowledge of Abhidhamma he does not have to use the words such as wobble etc.
So I do not want to use Abhidhamma explanation in this post.
I encourage you to learn Abhidhamma.
:focus:
StormBorn

Post by StormBorn »

SarathW wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 am My understanding is that you and Ajahn Braham both have no confidence or faith in Abhidhamma.
Curious, why they should have confidence or faith in Abhidhamma?
SarathW wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 amIf Ajahn had the knowledge of Abhidhamma he does not have to use the words such as wobble etc.
Buddha advised to learn the Dhamma in one's own dialect (nirutti). So, what's wrong with AB using a word that he best understood the scenario in 1st jhana?

Below quoted from page 2171 of The Book of the Discipline
Now at that time Yameḷu and Tekula⁵ were the names of two monks who were brothers, brahmins by birth, with lovely voices, with lovely enunciation. They approached the Lord; having approached, having greeted the Lord, they sat down at a respectful distance. As they were sitting down at a respectful distance, these monks spoke thus to the Lord: “At present, Lord, monks of various names, various clans, various social strata have gone forth from various families; these corrupt the speech of the Awakened One in (using) his own dialect. Now we, Lord, give the speech of the Awakened One in metrical form.” The Awakened One, the Lord rebuked them, saying:

“How can you, foolish men, speak thus: ‘Now we, Lord, give the speech of the Awakened One in metrical form’? It is not, foolish men, for pleasing those who are not (yet) pleased …” And having rebuked them, having given reasoned talk, he addressed the monks, saying:

“Monks, the speech of the Awakened One should not be given in metrical form. Whoever should (so) give it, there is an offence of wrong-doing. I allow you, monks, to learn the speech of the Awakened One according to his own dialect.
“Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one—himself.”
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 amMy understanding is that you and Ajahn Braham both have no confidence or faith in Abhidhamma.
The Dhamma refuge is "the Dhamma is perfectly spoken by the Blessed One".
SarathW wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 amIf Ajahn had the knowledge of Abhidhamma he does not have to use the words such as wobble etc.
Why? What does Abhidhamma have to say about this? Bhikkhu Bodhi's book does not explain the same as Ajahn Brahm. Regardless, the "wobble" is not important. Jhana is something to be let go of. Ajahn Brahm is probably explaining the "wobble" so people don't have the wrong view vitakka & vicara are active thinking or are not the same as explained in Bhikkhu Bodhi's book.
SarathW wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 amSo I do not want to use Abhidhamma explanation in this post.
Sounds like another... :strawman: Regardless, please post this Abhidhamma so we can review it.
SarathW wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:33 amI encourage you to learn Abhidhamma.
Unnecessary.

AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ »

DooDoot wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:16 pm
AgarikaJ wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:58 pm The mind was upheld by the vitakka and vicāra, and stabilized by the bliss. At that moment, you could say it was dependent on the power of absorption (jhāna) if you like, I don’t know. That’s just how it was. If you want to call it absorption, then go ahead. Before long, vitakka and vicāra were abandoned, rapture disappeared and the mind had a single focus (ekaggatā), samādhi was firmly established, and the lucid calm that is a foundation for wisdom had arisen.
The above text appears contrary to the suttas. If Ajahn Chah spoke it, it appears he was mistaken. Otherwise, it could simply be a mistranslation from Thai into English. The suttas say ekaggatā is in every jhana yet the text above appears to say ekaggatā appears when rapture ends, i.e., in the 3rd jhana.
To my understanding, while Ajahn Chah was extremely strict in his study of the Vinaya and its implementation, he was very much less interested in Sutta study for the sake of it. He made a very strong point that continuous practice and and meditation would open up the knowledge of the Dhamma, while book studies on its own were fairly useless, maybe evebn counter-productive. See p.109:
https://www.abhayagiri.org/books/617-stillness-flowing
Don’t be hesitant in your practice. Give it everything you’ve got. Make the mind resolute. Keep practising. However much you listen to Dhamma talks, however much you study, although the knowledge that results may be correct, it doesn’t reach the truth itself. And if that’s the case, then there’s no end to doubts and hesitation. But when the truth is realized, there’s completion. Then whatever anyone might say or think on the subject is irrelevant, it is naturally and irrevocably just that way.
As such he was quite unconcerned, or so I gathered from reading his biography, how things might be 'properly' named. This he has in common with a large number of monks in the Thai Forest tradition, whose exact orthodox roots remain unknown, not least due to the wholesale destruction of Thai Buddhist writings with the sacking of Ayutthaya in 1767.

This already starts with Ajahn Sao Kantasilo, the teacher of Ajahn Mun and the oldest known spiritual father of the Thai Forest tradition, born 1859 (so 92 years after the sacking of Ayutthaya and still 35 years after the later King Mongkut (Rama IV) ordained as a monk and started revitalizing the Thai Sangha by founding the Dhammayuttika Nikaya).
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/thai/phut/sao.html

Following my understanding, he must have been influenced quite heavily by Mahayana and Tantric Buddhist thought, as he emphasized the mantra-like repetition of 'Buddho' as start into the practice of any meditationer, from which only later followed enough mental immersion to go on with Vipassana practice as minutely described in the Satipatthana Sutta.

However -- and that is the very big however! -- both this meditation practice and the path to directly realizing the Dhamma did create results. This might go totally against anything you believe, @DooDot, but it is actually the exact way the Buddha once reached enlightenment: by following various meditation practices, until his mind was sharpened by Vipassana and he realized the inherent truth of the Dhamma.

So contrary what you say, this is actually an imminent reflection of the Noble Eightfold Path (note: Sutta studies are not mentioned in it, but Right Effort and Right Mindfulness are).
And while you might be arguing about minor points, eg if Ekkagata is part of the first or third Jhana, for some of those who were able to directly realize the truth of the Dhamma, it quite literally was not important at all. In my quote above, Ajahn Chah even quibs:
At that moment, you could say it was dependent on the power of absorption (jhāna) if you like, I don’t know. That’s just how it was. If you want to call it absorption, then go ahead.
I, personally, do not know, so I hold my judgement on this until I myself will have direct experience of the Dhamma in a way that would make me confident that I know better than everybody else (not to be too subtle, I wrote it intentionally this way).
As Ajahn Chah was convincing enough to single-handedly bring the Thai Forest tradition to the west -- with many of his later disciples quite well-read in Sutta studies -- I would never dare to write an abrupt and uncompromising statement like: "he was mistaken" or, with regard to others, "certain ideas posted in this topic by certain posters cannot be practised and they cannot be realised because they are not real."

Until you can tell us decisively that your direct experience of the Dhamma surpasses that of the arguably eminent teachers of our age by so much that you can brand them as "promoting false messages", your word as that of an anonymous poster in a web forum will rather attract outright derision, with many not even reading through your words.
This is a shame, because as the Buddha told us, instead of using speech that is meant to divide, using Right Speech is the proper way of communicating one's ideas.
It heralds frankly little good that your Sutta studies have not opened this very simple and basic concept to you, as without it Right Concentration and therefore the reaching of any Jhana would be impossible.

I would once more wish to appellate to you, @DooDot, that you refrain from the outright divisive and harsh speech I have had to read now so often from you (however correct your ideas are and however wrong you think others to be). It is the only way so that you might progress further, something I truly wish you to be able to achieve.

With metta.
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amTo my understanding, while Ajahn Chah was extremely strict in his study of the Vinaya and its implementation, he was very much less interested in Sutta study for the sake of it.
The above is not relevant to the fact Ajahn Chah appeared to provide an inaccurate explanation of ekaggata. Ajahn Chah's description sounded like Neighbourhood Concentration rather than Attainment Concentration. In other words, it did not even sound like jhana and sounded like Ajahn Chah was overestimating the experience of rapture. In the experience of Neighbourhood Concentration, as described in steps 5 to 11 of Anapanasati, samadhi will settle after rapture and happiness has calmed. I think this is evidence Ajahn Chah may not be talking about jhana.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amHe made a very strong point that continuous practice and and meditation would open up the knowledge of the Dhamma, while book studies on its own were fairly useless, maybe evebn counter-productive. See p.109:
https://www.abhayagiri.org/books/617-stillness-flowing
This might explain why his disciplines such as Ajahn Sumedho and Ajahn Amaro give those rambling style of Dhamma talks. While I do not doubt the moral virtue of these monks, some Pali sutta studies might help them give more accurate Dhamma talks.

Regardless I disagree 100% with Ajahn Chah above because I was misguided once in my life due to faith in a guru like him. In my experience, the suttas are the supreme guide.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 am
Don’t be hesitant in your practice. Give it everything you’ve got. Make the mind resolute. Keep practising. However much you listen to Dhamma talks, however much you study, although the knowledge that results may be correct, it doesn’t reach the truth itself. And if that’s the case, then there’s no end to doubts and hesitation. But when the truth is realized, there’s completion. Then whatever anyone might say or think on the subject is irrelevant, it is naturally and irrevocably just that way.
I heard the teachings of Ajahn Chah years ago and was never attracted to them because, for me, they wrongly attempt to motivate people who obviously lack motivation. I personally do not believe in this. In the suttas, the Buddha provided some brief instructions and the student went off and practised alone. The Buddha appeared to not teach like Ajahn Chah.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amThis already starts with Ajahn Sao Kantasilo, the teacher of Ajahn Mun and the oldest known spiritual father of the Thai Forest tradition, born 1859 (so 92 years after the sacking of Ayutthaya and still 35 years after the later King Mongkut (Rama IV) ordained as a monk and started revitalizing the Thai Sangha by founding the Dhammayuttika Nikaya).
I recall having posted before that this idea of a Forest Sangha Lineage is like a mythology. Ajahn Chah only spent a few hours or at a most a few days with Ajahn Mun.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amFollowing my understanding, he must have been influenced quite heavily by Mahayana and Tantric Buddhist thought, as he emphasized the mantra-like repetition of 'Buddho' as start into the practice of any meditationer, from which only later followed enough mental immersion to go on with Vipassana practice as minutely described in the Satipatthana Sutta.
Reciting "Buddho" like the illiterate Thai peasants is not really related to this topic of "ekkaggata".
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amHowever -- and that is the very big however! -- both this meditation practice and the path to directly realizing the Dhamma did create results. This might go totally against anything you believe, @DooDot, but it is actually the exact way the Buddha once reached enlightenment: by following various meditation practices, until his mind was sharpened by Vipassana and he realized the inherent truth of the Dhamma.
Sorry. But the above appears both off-topic and merely a generalisation.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amSo contrary what you say, this is actually an imminent reflection of the Noble Eightfold Path (note: Sutta studies are not mentioned in it, but Right Effort and Right Mindfulness are).
Sorry but the explanation of Ajahn Chah about what ekkaggata is appears contrary to the suttas. Please. Allow us to at least be honest here.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amAnd while you might be arguing about minor points, eg if Ekkagata is part of the first or third Jhana, for some of those who were able to directly realize the truth of the Dhamma, it quite literally was not important at all. In my quote above, Ajahn Chah even quibs:
Sorry but it is obvious a person that does not even know what ekkaggata is has not realised the Dhamma completely. Otherwise, as I originally posted, the translation or context of the explanation may result in the inaccurate teaching.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amI, personally, do not know, so I hold my judgement on this until I myself will have direct experience of the Dhamma
Your posting above has lots of judgments. I would highly recommend to simply read the suttas and accept Ajahn Chah's explanation was inaccurate. It is pointless to me to attempt to continue to assert falsehood as truth. This matter is not one of interpretation. The suttas literally say the 1st jhana has five factors, of which one factor is ekkaggata.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amin a way that would make me confident that I know better than everybody else (not to be too subtle, I wrote it intentionally this way).
I have noticed you hanging around certain internet chat sites for a long time now writing long posts and I doubt this will help you have the "direct experience" you say you seek. Regardless, since you at least admit to not having complete knowledge, why are you asserting such a strong view about things you admit you do not fully understand? :shrug:
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amAs Ajahn Chah was convincing enough to single-handedly bring the Thai Forest tradition to the west --
Sure, many gurus such as Sri Chimoy, Chogyram Trumpa, Osho Raj Neesh and Prapupada brought their dharma to the West.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amwith many of his later disciples quite well-read in Sutta studies -- I would never dare to write an abrupt and uncompromising statement like: "he was mistaken"
If the suttas say the 1st jhana has five factors then I would dare to say Ajahn Chah's explanation was mistaken or, otherwise, "contextual". Did Ajahn Chah ever teach about the problem of attachment to guru figures?
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 am or, with regard to others, "certain ideas posted in this topic by certain posters cannot be practised and they cannot be realised because they are not real."
I am happy to post the idea of ekkaggata in every mind-moment is not real. :smile:
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amUntil you can tell us decisively that your direct experience of the Dhamma surpasses that of the arguably eminent teachers of our age by so much that you can brand them as "promoting false messages", your word as that of an anonymous poster in a web forum will rather attract outright derision, with many not even reading through your words.
It is a transgression for me to tell you about any attainments. I suggest you refrain from encouraging others to transgress the rules of conduct. Also, at least one poster agreed with me. In short, despite his fame, Ajahn Chan's explanation of jhana you offered is contrary to suttas. I imagine Ajahn Brahm would agree with me or, otherwise, offer an explanation of an "unorthodox" teaching by Ajahn Chah.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amThis is a shame, because as the Buddha told us, instead of using speech that is meant to divide, using Right Speech is the proper way of communicating one's ideas.
Sure, like cordial speech with Osama Bin Laden. :roll: The Buddha mostly emphasised truthful speech. The Buddha did not always speak in ways to unite people (such as not uniting with Devadatta or Mara). Ajahn Chah explanation of jhana you offered definitely appears wrong.
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amIt heralds frankly little good that your Sutta studies have not opened this very simple and basic concept to you, as without it Right Concentration and therefore the reaching of any Jhana would be impossible.
Sorry but your post above sounds like Cultural Marxism. Someone disagrees with you so you attempt to publicly shame and demonize them. Yet in this Virtue Signalling, you claim its Dhamma. :roll:
AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:45 amI would once more wish to appellate to you, @DooDot, that you refrain from the outright divisive and harsh speech I have had to read now so often from you (however correct your ideas are and however wrong you think others to be). It is the only way so that you might progress further, something I truly wish you to be able to achieve.
Interesting attempt at political correctness but it appears Ajahn Chah was wrong in his explanation. Based on this explanation of ekkaggata alone, similar to Maha Boowa's explanation of "Eternal Citta" and Buddhadasa's explanation of "Nibbana Without Residue" it is possible none of these three famous Thai gurus were arahants. :shock: ;) :D

With metta. :heart:
Teachers Are Prison
Now we come to the prison called ‘ajahn’ (teacher, master),
the famous teachers whose names reverberate afar. In Burma
there’s ‘Sayadaw This,’ in Sri Lanka there’s ‘Bhante That,’ in
Tibet there’s ‘Lama So-and-So,’ and in China there’s ‘Master
Whoever.’ Every place has its famous teacher whose name is
bouncing around. Whether national, regional, provincial, or
local, every place has got its Big Guru. Then people cling
and attach to their teachers as being the only teacher who
is correct; their teacher is right and all other teachers
are completely wrong. They refuse to listen to other
people
’s teachers. And they don’t think about or examine the
teachings of their own ajahns. They get caught in the ‘teacher
prison.’ They turn the teacher into a prison and then get
caught in it. It’s an attachment which is truly ridiculous.
Whether a big teacher or a small teacher, upādāna is at work
just the same. People keep building prisons out of their
teachers and gurus. Please don’t get caught in even this
prison

https://www.suanmokkh.org/books/16#start_reading

:thumbsup:

AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ »

DooDoot wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:52 am It is a transgression for me to tell you about any attainments. I suggest you refrain from encouraging others to transgress the rules of conduct.
The training rules only pertain to those who have Gone Forth. Have you done so, Banthe? Why then have you chosen to keep this from other posters, who now cannot address you rightly?

I feel ashamed that I have taken you for a layman to be addressed in a personal, ordinary way and on the same level as me, Banthe.

Beyond this question, Banthe, could you not guide me in more detail where in the Vinaya the telling of already achieved attainments is actually forbidden? If I read Pārājika 4, this seems expressly not so, but maybe there are other Training Riules I am overlooking?

Pārājika 4:
https://en.dhammadana.org/sangha/vinaya ... m#ch-----4
"yo pana bhikkhu anabhijānaṃ uttariranussadhammaṃ attupanāyikaṃ alamariyañāṇadassanaṃ samudācareyya "itti jānāmi, itti passāmī" ti, tato aparena samayena samanuggāhīyamāno vā asamanuggāhīyamāno vā āpanno visuddhā pekkho evaṃ vadeyya "ajānamevaṃ āvuso avacaṃ jānāmi apassaṃ passāmi, tucchaṃ musā vilapi" nti aññatra adhimānā, āyapi, pārājiko hoti asaṃvāso."
If indeed you have never been able to achieve enough Right Concentration to achieve any Jhana, please accept my heartfelt apology if my post would have made you feel like you would need to claim such.

I never thought to pressure you in such way, Banthe, I merely pointed out that the opinion exists that actual direct experience of the Dhamma trumps purely theoretical Sutta study.

:anjali:
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

AgarikaJ wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:25 pmThe training rules only pertain to those who have Gone Forth.
Sorry but this is a literal interpretation rather than the spirit of the Dhamma. There are reasons why attainments should not be publicly made. Possibly we can start a new topic about this. As for the rest of your post, i would review it using the criteria of Right Speech & Noble Speech.

The bottom line is Ajahn Chah's explanation offered appearred inaccurate and the more one attempts to twist falsehood into truth, the more one deviates. Simply honestly admit the explanation is inaccurate. :)

Take care. :heart:
Ajahn Chah wrote:The mind was upheld by the vitakka and vicāra, and stabilized by the bliss. At that moment, you could say it was dependent on the power of absorption (jhāna) if you like, I don’t know. That’s just how it was. If you want to call it absorption, then go ahead. Before long, vitakka and vicāra were abandoned, rapture disappeared and the mind had a single focus (ekaggatā), samādhi was firmly established, and the lucid calm that is a foundation for wisdom had arisen.