Antenna consciousness theory

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
budo

Antenna consciousness theory

Post by budo » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 am

Hey guys, I originally wrote this as a response to Pondera here, but I think it deserves its own thread that could be expanded on.

So a few years ago I researched sensory deprivation tanks and stumbled upon this well done and funny video, where the old man in it who has used it for many years says that consciousness is an antenna..

A few celebrities like Joe Rogan own these deprivation tanks and they claim that it creates hallucinations just like hallucinogenic drugs.

It is interesting to note that a sensory deprivation tank may be similar to the conditions the Buddha recommended for meditation, in a secluded and quiet area, I wonder what the Buddha would say about those tanks.

So my antenna theory is:

- There is no self in the mind, the mind doesn't go anywhere, it just receives signals, sometimes those signals bring in half segmented visual pictures from far away just like a huge telescope on Earth can see stars in other galaxies.
- Our 6 senses are the frequencies we can receive, anywhere from tastes to images
- The stronger the concentration the more power the antenna has.
- In the case of astral projection, that would be like a satellite sending a signal, the weaker the concentration, the weaker the signal being sent. The question is, how strong can the mind get? How powerful was the Buddha's mind?
- The Buddha never met a lot of people in the flesh, but instead meditated in a cave and projected himself onto their antennas. Just like that murderer who tried to chase him down but couldn't.

I think viewing the mind as an antenna makes a lot of suttas make more sense, like for example suttas on eye consciousness getting in contact with eye aggregates..

What do you think?

AgarikaJ

Re: Antenna consciousness theory

Post by AgarikaJ » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:14 pm

budo wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:16 am
A few celebrities like Joe Rogan own these deprivation tanks and they claim that it creates hallucinations just like hallucinogenic drugs.
The way those deprivation tanks are often used is to actually seek for those hallucinations, strengthening them.

They are nothing more than the monkey mind one encounters when starting to meditate; we all know it can become overpowering and very demanding to go on jumping around.

Vipassana -- and this makes it so difficult and contrarian to many of the meditators in the modern, flower-power sense -- makes us work extremely hard to not encourage the monkey mind, but to quieten it down, tiring it out, by simply observing how he rises and falls again: thoughts come and go, emotions come and go, but you stay detached, so you never become overpowered by them.

Modern meditation often seeks to do the opposite: make these hallucinations stronger, cling even harder to the upwelling emotions ('realize yourself in them', etc), maybe even utilizing drugs to go completely 'out of your mind' (been there, done that and it took a good while for me to understand that those 'higher mental states' I supposedly experienced did little good with regard to true insight).

If one would go with this mindset into a deprivation tank, I think the result will be wholly unbecoming to mental health.
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:42 pm

My guess is sensory deprivation tanks have the effects they do on some people because those people are not meditating and the mind panics. If a meditator went in there, I don't think it would have the same effect. Its the same reason some people who without prior training, go on a 30 day meditation retreat end up having psychotic symptoms. Any theories of conciousness based on those experiences are probably quite untrustworthy, just like those based on drug induced experiences. :anjali:

pegembara

Post by pegembara » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:14 am

I think viewing the mind as an antenna makes a lot of suttas make more sense, like for example suttas on eye consciousness getting in contact with eye aggregates..

What do you think?
My take is that consciousness isn't a thing/noun but rather is a process/verb. One can be conscious of sights, sounds, smells, taste, touch and mental objects and call them eye, ear, nose, tongue, tactile and mind "consciousness". They have no independent existence. "Consciousness" can even be conscious of "itself" and hence this talk of mind and consciousness.
in many ways the Blessed One has said of dependently co-arisen consciousness, 'Apart from a requisite condition, there is no coming-into-play of consciousness

"Consciousness, monks, is classified simply by the requisite condition in dependence on which it arises. Consciousness that arises in dependence on the eye & forms is classified simply as eye-consciousness. Consciousness that arises in dependence on the ear & sounds is classified simply as ear-consciousness. Consciousness that arises in dependence on the nose & aromas is classified simply as nose-consciousness. Consciousness that arises in dependence on the tongue & flavors is classified simply as tongue-consciousness. Consciousness that arises in dependence on the body & tactile sensations is classified simply as body-consciousness. Consciousness that arises in dependence on the intellect & ideas is classified simply as intellect-consciousness.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.