Dual account

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Viachh

Dual account

Post by Viachh »

error
Last edited by Viachh on Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
DooDoot

Re: Dual account

Post by DooDoot »

In Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta says: "This noble truth of the way/path of practice leading to the cessation of stress is to be developed"

Similarly, the 37 factors of enlightenment appear to be all (gradual) expressions of the (gradual) path which are "to be developed".
In this community of monks there are monks who remain devoted to the development of the four frames of reference... the four right exertions... the four bases of power... the five faculties... the five strengths... the seven factors for awakening... the noble eightfold path: such are the monks in this community of monks.

MN 118
For example, the 1st noble truth is to be comprehended rather than developed, the 2nd noble truth is to be abandoned rather than developed and the 3rd noble truth is to be realised rather than developed. Only the 4th noble truth is to be developed; which would be the reason for the Noble Eightfold Path's inclusion in the 37 factors of enlightenment.

The above appears to be the difference between the 37 factors of enlightenment and the Four Noble Truths as a whole.
"Vision arose, insight arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before: 'This is the noble truth of stress.' Vision arose, insight arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before: 'This noble truth of stress is to be comprehended.' Vision arose, insight arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before:' This noble truth of stress has been comprehended.'

"Vision arose, insight arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before: 'This is the noble truth of the origination of stress'... 'This noble truth of the origination of stress is to be abandoned' ... 'This noble truth of the origination of stress has been abandoned.'

"Vision arose, insight arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before: 'This is the noble truth of the cessation of stress'... 'This noble truth of the cessation of stress is to be directly experienced'... 'This noble truth of the cessation of stress has been directly experienced.'

"Vision arose, insight arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before: 'This is the noble truth of the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress'... 'This noble truth of the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress is to be developed'... 'This noble truth of the way of practice leading to the cessation of stress has been developed.'

SN 56.11
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
retrofuturist

Re: Dual account

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Viachh wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:37 amerror
... and with that deletion, the topic is closed, and Viachh has lost their editing privileges.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."