Will we ever find a good Theravada Forum

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
StormBorn

Re: Will we ever find a good Theravada Forum

Post by StormBorn »

SarathW wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:26 pm Any person who criticise Buddhist rituals, stories, Vinaya etc. should understand this protecting layer.
Perhaps this is a natural protection.
Buddha started teaching to an already very ritualistic India. But in suttas you can see when those other ascetics and Brahmins met the Buddha, he taught them a wholesome change towards the bodily and verbal behaviour what we generally call ethics/virtue (see the sila description of the DN 2). He newer subscribed them to rituals such as 3 x per day oil lamp offering to himself. Rituals are dependencies, and that's why sotapannas would drop that fetter (silabbataparaamaasa) forever. Then saying rituals are a protection is similar to saying paedophilia is needed to keep the need to rape woman at bay.

Perhaps, a wrapper/s of rituals are a protection to hide the lack of True Dhamma. :smile:

Stories and Vinaya also need to see individually in the light of guidelines given to Lady Visakha in AN 8.53.
“Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one—himself.”
binocular

Post by binocular »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:02 pmWhat you did was to take your own unfortunate experience and claim that it was "usual". I'm happy to substitute a different word if it does more justice to that process.
What you (and several others) are doing is taking your own standards of sensitivity and assume them to be universal, and then you impose them on others.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

binocular wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:29 am
Sam Vara wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:02 pmWhat you did was to take your own unfortunate experience and claim that it was "usual". I'm happy to substitute a different word if it does more justice to that process.
What you (and several others) are doing is taking your own standards of sensitivity and assume them to be universal, and then you impose them on others.
I can't speak for others, but that's not what I'm doing at all. I have no interest as to why you think you are "different"; merely pointing out that the reports of your experiences are strongly atypical, and should not be used as a basis for generalisation.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

binocular wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:49 pm
User1249x wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:16 pmI think the online medium is great but it would be very demanding. If there is a coaching site with an active forum with a handful of presumed Faith-Followers, Dhamma-followers and Stream-Enterers there would be a demand to create content like Dhamma-talks, articles, attending to Q/A and to moderate the discussions as well as dealing with administrative tasks. That will require more or less of a full-time dedication from some of them.
With the practice of proper respect and veneration, there is very little demand for Dhamma talks, articles, Q&A sessions, individual consultations etc.

The "Asian model" of prioritizing the practice of respect and veneration minimizes the person's questions about the Dhamma and radically streamlines the rest.

This "Asian model", however, is not particularly suitable for the online environment, at least not for newcomers.
Not sure what you mean by minimizes and a very little demand, for the Sutta Pitaka itself was compiled as exactly that which is supposed to be of little demand for in the presence of veneration according to you. Anyway i am most curious about these rl asian communities comprised of ariyans, do you have some particular groups in mind? For i personally only know of but a few particular monks whom i think to possibly be ariyan.
AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ »

User1249x wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:20 pm
thang wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:10 pm 3. Gang up against Theravada views
What are these views? Theravadin designation seems to be quite tolerant and diverse in views.
There is the issue that in the West, very often the Buddhist eco-system that would surround you in Asia is completely missing. There simply is no temple at the end of the next street, where you would find a teacher.

As such, many use the internet as their teacher. This gives very easy access to all the scripture -- much better one than you would have in very many Thai temples I have been in -- but it comes with the burden that you will need to make sense out of it all. It is a fact that very many on the forums are on the first steps of their journey. Therefore, of course there are critical questions.

While practice progresses, positions might change, understanding could happen, even a chance that faith will be created.

I see the forums I know as us being our own teachers, collectively gaining wisdom. This is not an efficient process, but for many the only they have.
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

AgarikaJ wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:17 am
User1249x wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:20 pm
thang wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:10 pm 3. Gang up against Theravada views
What are these views? Theravadin designation seems to be quite tolerant and diverse in views.
There is the issue that in the West, very often the Buddhist eco-system that would surround you in Asia is completely missing. There simply is no temple at the end of the next street, where you would find a teacher.

As such, many use the internet as their teacher. This gives very easy access to all the scripture -- much better one than you would have in very many Thai temples I have been in -- but it comes with the burden that you will need to make sense out of it all. It is a fact that very many on the forums are on the first steps of their journey. Therefore, of course there are critical questions.

While practice progresses, positions might change, understanding could happen, even a chance that faith will be created.

I see the forums I know as us being our own teachers, collectively gaining wisdom. This is not an efficient process, but for many the only they have.
What i meant is that there are various disagreements within Theravada.
IE here are some well-known Theravadins

1. Ven. Nanavira
2. Ven. B Bodhi
3. Ven. Thanissaro
4. Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw
5. Ven. Maha Boowa
6. Ven. A Mun

Now there are many disagreements between these people but their views are still largely albeit not universally considered to be Theravada.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:43 pmhere are some well-known Theravadins

1. Ven. Nanavira
2. Ven. B Bodhi
3. Ven. Thanissaro
4. Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw
5. Ven. Maha Boowa
6. Ven. A Mun

Now there are many disagreements between these people but their views are still largely albeit not universally considered to be Theravada.
By whom? Who is the arbiter that decides these views are Theravada? Who is this God? :shrug:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
xofz

Post by xofz »

This is the good Theravadan forum.

At ease! Trifling matters are of no concern, and grave issues must be dealt with directly. How much of our inner suffering is just a manifestation of our own ego-conception? Let us be joyful that there is a forum dedicated to people who think it is ok to do some Buddha every once in a while.
becoming aware!
StormBorn

Post by StormBorn »

xofz wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:08 am This is the good Theravadan forum.
It's not perfect (which is natural in this imperfect world) but no doubt this indeed a good forum. :smile:
“Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one—himself.”
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:33 pm

1. Ven. Nanavira
2. Ven. B Bodhi
3. Ven. Thanissaro
4. Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw
5. Ven. Maha Boowa
6. Ven. A Mun

By whom? Who is the arbiter that decides these views are Theravada? Who is this God? :shrug:
Yes, exactly and this is precisely the problem with Dhamma-policing; who decides? I can think of several knowledgeable Theravadins who would disagree with the bhikkhus mentioned above, claiming they have eternalist views, semi-eternalism and/or other alleged wrong views.

So which one is right? That is why we have to allow a plethora of views and discussion; other than the obvious when someone claims Jesus is the way, the only way, everyone else be damned, then that's obviously not for this forum. For other differences of views within Theravada, all can be heard here.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

1. Ven. Nanavira
2. Ven. B Bodhi
3. Ven. Thanissaro
4. Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw
5. Ven. Maha Boowa
6. Ven. A Mun

DNS wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:39 am [...] I can think of several knowledgeable Theravadins who would disagree with the bhikkhus mentioned above, claiming they have eternalist views, semi-eternalism and/or other alleged wrong views.

So which one is right? That is why we have to allow a plethora of views and discussion; other than the obvious when someone claims Jesus is the way, the only way, everyone else be damned, then that's obviously not for this forum. For other differences of views within Theravada, all can be heard here.
i think this should be made a lot more clear to the public for the vast majority has no clue about the variety of contradictory views that constitutes Theravada Buddhism.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 ami think this should be made a lot more clear to the public for the vast majority has no clue about the variety of contradictory views that constitutes Theravada Buddhism.
Personally, I think Buddhism is a very individual thing. Individuals find their way to teachers suitable for their individual disposition. When the student is ready, the teacher appears. For me, Buddhism is not a "public" affair. Our duty is to practise (rather than engage in Judaic-Islamic Anti-Apostasy). In short, DW seems to be a pretty good forum. It appears very tolerant and inclusive to me.

:group: :thumbsup:
Last edited by DooDoot on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
budo

Post by budo »

Arguing which monk is right or wrong is purely mental masturbation preventing you from attaining anything. In no way does pulling the cart before the horse benefit you.

You're trying to grasp the unknown without doing the necessary footwork. There is no shortcut, no easy way out, you have to sit down and meditate until you figure it out for yourself, which is what the Buddha told people, to see for yourself.

The question is, are you honest with yourself on how happy you are? how much you suffer day to day? caught up in pointless drama and mental masturbation? wasting time and your precious human life.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

DooDoot wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:52 am Personally, I think Buddhism is a very individual thing. Individuals find their way to teachers suitable for their individual disposition. When the student is ready, the teacher appears. For me, Buddhism is not a "public" affair. Our duty is to practise (rather than engage in Jewish-Islamic Anti-Apostasy).
Earlier today i was reading about Ananda's "personal path" :anjali:
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.