A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Sam Vara

Re: Discouraging and Encouraging Bhikkhuni Ordination

Post by Sam Vara » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:14 am

Seven77 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:17 am
Sam Vara wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:32 pm
They may well be wrong, of course. The law of unintended consequences might intervene and reveal them to be ignorant blunderers. But, according to their own worldview, their intentions are good.
"according to their own worldview" is the key here I think. In reality, which is almost never black and white, their intentions can be good, but not pure. Meaning not free from any kind of kilesas (bound up with greed/aversion/delusion) This is most often the case for us worldlings. If we are brutally honest with ourselves and look carefully, things might be different than we actually thought. I see this often in myself due to my progression on the spiritual path. Something I previously thought was purely good turned out to be mixed up with defilements. This is only natural since I am gradually developing right view.

When it comes to kamma the intentions needs to be good in a Buddhist sense (i.e. free from kilesas) to give good fruition in the future. This can often be different from good intentions in a worldly sense. For instance being attached to your parents is normally seen as good, but is in reality bad kamma. The same would apply to being attached to equality, anti-marxism or any other kind of worldly dhamma.

:anjali:
Yes, that makes sense. I guess the problem is that few of us are in a position to be "brutally honest with ourselves", or do not know at the time that our decisions are subject to the influence of defilements.

AgarikaJ

Re: Discouraging and Encouraging Bhikkhuni Ordination

Post by AgarikaJ » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:01 am

Seven77 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:00 pm
Hi,

I have been pondering questions surrounding Therevada nuns and the law of kamma. It seems to me that one would do wisely to look at ones own intentions in this matter.
:goodpost:

Very few of us would be versed well enough in the Vinaya to be able to hold a truly informed opinion.

Still, most of us have one, looking through the prism of our own delusions. It is best practice (pun intended) to always be aware of that.
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]