Thoughts on Dhamma, science and a movie

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
User1249x

Thoughts on Dhamma, science and a movie

Post by User1249x »

In the movie The Matrix, after taking the red pill and disconnecting, how does Neo know that he truly disconnected from the Matrix and is not merely in a different simulated reality? He obviously can't and the movie is to that extent flawed.

Nowadays the word simulation is often used referring to the evidently illusory nature of reality. The collapse of the wave function occurs in the context of observation and the occurrence of observation occurs in the context of the collapse of wave function. Therefore the occurrence of reality is one-fold as in reality is what occurs and the delineation of the requisite conditions is a theoretical matter.

When there are formations these can be viewed as states of energy and this energy thus can be viewed to be in a formation or a structure. Formations of energy do not occur without observance, observance is itself an occurrence and there is no occurrence without both, no collapse of the wave function without a collapse of a wave function. Therefore when something is formed it is essentially information and is something that is known, it is literally but a state of information.

Therefore information, matter and energy are all mental

However how does one properly conceive of what is not mental whilst avoiding making the same mistake as the movie? Perhaps by understanding the requisite conditions for existence of what is mental and the implication of their cessation. For instance conventional existence of formations requires a finite speed of causality, the meaning of the word occurrence does not apply if everything occurs at infinite speed and nothing can come into what is known as existence if all was to happen infinitely fast and notions of speed and occurrence do not apply in that context. Therefore no part of what constitutes a being can come in contact with the not-illusory reality, the unconditioned, for all of what constitutes one comes into existence in a conventional sense.
cappuccino

Re: Thoughts on Dhamma, science and a movie

Post by cappuccino »

just continue to practice

set aside all the above and just continue
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:22 pm just continue to practice

set aside all the above and just continue
It seems like you are encouraging others to disregard my post here?

for i would think that there is absolutely no chance you would think that i care about your opinion

so take ur own advice and ignore my posts
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:39 pm In the movie The Matrix, after taking the red pill and disconnecting, how does Neo know that he truly disconnected from the Matrix and is not merely in a different simulated reality? He obviously can't and the movie is to that extent flawed.
That was deliberate, not a flaw. It's an element of many virtual-based or simulation-reality storylines, that nobody knows if the real world is real. See Inception, episodes of Star Trek TNG, etc...

And welcome back [name redacted by admin]!! How long was your "vacation"? Good to see you back.

EDIT: Oh man, arguing already... facepalm! :shock:
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:55 pm
User1249x wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:39 pm In the movie The Matrix, after taking the red pill and disconnecting, how does Neo know that he truly disconnected from the Matrix and is not merely in a different simulated reality? He obviously can't and the movie is to that extent flawed.
That was deliberate, not a flaw. It's an element of many virtual-based or simulation-reality storylines, that nobody knows if the real world is real. See Inception, episodes of Star Trek TNG, etc...

And welcome back [name redacted by admin]!! How long was your "vacation"? Good to see you back.

EDIT: Oh man, arguing already... facepalm! :shock:
You are right it is not really a flaw as it was not meant to be an accurate description of reality.

I was away and mostly focusing on work so it was not a vacation nor do i plan on posting regularly for as you can see i get to deal with DW's finest every time that i post so i think i'll check in again around new year.