Wrong Livelihood: Monk’s Alms round

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
cappuccino

Re: Wrong Livelihood: Monk’s Alms round

Post by cappuccino »

For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged;
and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you.
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ »

cappuccino wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:55 pm For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged;
and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you.
Quoting Matthew in a discussion about Sila in Theravada?

I am of the opinion that the doctrine the Buddha taught us is the exact opposite: you will neither be judged nor measured, as it is your *personal responsibility* to form your own Kamma. You mess it up, you live with the results (literally, maybe forever).

Nobody will help you with it (but your own practice), nobody will influence it (by taking away the burden of bad Kamma) and no final moment of repentance to trick-clean your slate... no all-powerful creator-deity to which you are subservient and either get punished or rewarded following some arbitrary point system.

It is all a very personal and individual work, but due to this all the more a worthy undertaking [sorry for the ranting].
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]
bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti »

I recently came across this page.
It sounds like Stormborn (how about a real name) has misinterpreted me even in person.
I never glorified my own stitching of a robe or belittled others. I only noted that it was important to take into consideration that kathina robe making season is 5 months and if we spend 150 hours that is one hour per day with chores, since the word for chores is "making robes and other things"
I did it because I didn't know how to use a sewing machine and later I wanted to see how it was done in Buddha's time. There is certainly no vinaya against using a sewing machine. I kept track of the hours because someone wanted to know. Later, I wanted to know too.
It sounds like Stormborn similar to one of those deluded people who are shameful to reveal their own names who made the book, "The naked monk in burning robes"
The book contains lots of half quotes and misunderstandings and intentional twisting of the truth with an ax to grind.
It is easy to see the anger and delusion in this post and that book even though they both claim to write quotes from the Dhamma..

Be careful...anger makes one burn.

It is easy to see that the quotes in this post are unrelated and out of context..

btw:
I use sewing machines :)

As for alms..Unless someone asks me what I am doing, I don't say anything about what I am doing.
I teach to people who to come to me. I am available and visible. People come to me.