Why SuttaCentral is so Feminist

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Why SuttaCentral is so Feminist

Post by DNS » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 pm

Don't be a feminist, don't be a (male) chauvinist; be a personist, with concern for all humanity based on the content of their character, not their color, gender, etc.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 am

Greetings,
DNS wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 pm
Don't be a feminist, don't be a (male) chauvinist; be a personist, with concern for all humanity based on the content of their character, not their color, gender, etc.
Or... better still, be a beingist!
Sn 1.8 wrote:Whatever living beings there may be;
Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
The seen and the unseen,
Those living near and far away,
Those born and to-be-born —
May all beings be at ease!
Metta,
Paul. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:59 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:07 am
Greetings,
DNS wrote:
Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:58 pm
Or... better still, be a beingist!
Sn 1.8 wrote:Whatever living beings there may be;
Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
The seen and the unseen,
Those living near and far away,
Those born and to-be-born —
May all beings be at ease!
Metta,
:twothumbsup: Definitely; much better.

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:15 am

Not that im a fan of feminism, SuttaCentral's forums or its moderators or admins. but isnt there a rule about talking bad about other Buddhist forums?
Last edited by TRobinson465 on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:18 am

Greetings,
TRobinson465 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:15 am
Not that im a fan of SuttaCentral's forums or its moderators. but isnt there a rule about talking bad about other Buddhist forums?
Are you suggesting that feminism is bad?

:stirthepot:

Surely that's a matter of perspective, no?

It's simply a statement of fact that there is a feminist agenda at Sutta Central Discourse, as evidenced by their hiring policies for moderators, which consciously exclude men from consideration.

Metta,
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:18 am
Greetings,
TRobinson465 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:15 am
Not that im a fan of SuttaCentral's forums or its moderators. but isnt there a rule about talking bad about other Buddhist forums?
Are you suggesting feminism is bad?

:stirthepot:

Surely that's a matter of perspective, no?

Metta,
I was more talking about the idea that they ban non-feminist users as bad. rather than feminism itself, which i am more neutral towards.

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 am

Greetings,
TRobinson465 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:19 am
I was more talking about the idea that they ban non-feminist users as bad. rather than feminism itself, which i am more neutral towards.
OK, well, I'd suggest if there are any doubts about any specific claims that have been made, or bans that you or anyone else wishes to enquire about, such questions ought to go to directly to Sutta Central, lest their perspective be misrepresented.

Metta,

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:23 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:18 am

It's simply a statement of fact that there is a feminist agenda at Sutta Central Discourse, on account of their hiring policies for moderators, which exclude men from consideration.
Its true its a statement of fact, but i figured even things that are factual count as badmouthing. And its hard to say whether they have a feminist agenda as that is hard to pinpoint. Although perhaps your rules only count unsubstantiated badmouthing, in which case i wouldnt have a case. Not that i would defend SC discourse. and if you read some of SC forums they arent even remotely as fair as DW. if i tried making an account and posting my views, im sure Sujato would just block me.

James Tan

Post by James Tan » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:26 am

Hmm , no news is new.

Not getting what one wants is suffering .

The house belongs to them.
The rules is theirs.
Belief system is another matter .
Utility library is free .

Left turn or right ?
Nothing much one can do .
If you select the apple, choose the best.
:reading:

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:30 am

Greetings TRobinson465,
Its true its a statement of fact, but i figured even things that are factual count as badmouthing.
Not really. If something is good or bad by virtue of the facts of the matter, then it is what is is. And as per my above question to you, what is regarded as good by one, may be regarded as bad by another... and vice versa.

In that context, asking "Why is SuttaCentral is so Feminist?" is no different to asking "Why is Dhamma Wheel so libertarian?" or "Why is Dhamma Wheel so focused on moderation in accordance with the Terms of Service?"
And its hard to say whether they have a feminist agenda as that is hard to pinpoint.
And of course, if there is evidence to the contrary, it would be relevant to this discussion.
Although perhaps your rules only count unsubstantiated badmouthing, in which case i wouldnt have a case.
Perhaps if it were gratuitous, it might constitute badmouthing, and there is a possibility that this topic may be closed if moderators assess that this line has been crossed. For now, to date, the conversation has largely been civil, so let's do our best to keep it that way.

:focus:

Metta,

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:01 am

It's your rules. So you can just flat out say how u choose to enforce them. I was just expressing my opinion and it looks like how I interpreted the rule was simply different than the intent of the rule.

Anyways sutta central is feminist cuz the admins take heavy control of what points of view are allowed. Because the few admins are feminists they push this viewpoint and silence opposing ones. This is different from DW which is more of a highly political college campus where the admins allow multiple points of view but the culture simply breeds toward particular views. Since ppl of minority or "unpopular" views are silenced not by the admins but more by fear of being ganged up on and harassed by the other users and being called a heretic. I'd imagine DW would also turn feminist if enuff really determined feminists rushed the servers and started calling any1 with a different pov a heretic or nazi. For SC its top down done by the admins. DW it's more down up. Caused by the culture bred from the most prolific posters.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:03 am

Greetings,
TRobinson465 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:01 am
I'd imagine DW would also turn feminist if enuff really determined feminists rushed the servers and started calling any1 with a different pov a heretic or nazi.
Been there, done that... but in the long-run it didn't work.

Metta,

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:17 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:03 am
Greetings,
TRobinson465 wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:01 am
I'd imagine DW would also turn feminist if enuff really determined feminists rushed the servers and started calling any1 with a different pov a heretic or nazi.
Been there, done that... but in the long-run it didn't work.

Metta,
Yes i agree. when its top down and POVs forced by admins like SC the culture is longer lasting. When bottom up like DW, the culture fluctuates. tho if feminists took a liking to DW and stayed until the end of time and spammed posts of a particular POV id imagine it would work in the long-run unless the admins shut them down or someone or a few ppl heavily armed with strong counter arguments persistently fought against them until the culture changed or at least the feminists ran out of things to say.

StormBorn

Post by StormBorn » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:44 am

“All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.”

Universal Declaration of Human Rights - Article 1
“Greater in battle than the man who would conquer a thousand-thousand men, is he who would conquer just one—himself.”

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:57 am

StormBorn wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:44 am
“All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.”
:? :lol: