Throwing food

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chownah
Posts: 7597
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Throwing food

Post by chownah » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:23 pm

Kim OHara wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:50 am
There's a sutta about proper care and re-use of the monk's robes - to keep it, mend it, and not to throw it away when it's no longer fit to be used as a robe but to cut it and repurpose it.
Is it too big a stretch to say we should take similar care not to waste other goods like food?

:namaste:
Kim
Can you find what sutta that is?....I found some stuff on care of robes in the vinaya as one would expect but I didn't find anything on mending or repurposing the fabric.
chownah

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 5016
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Throwing food

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:29 pm

:embarassed:
I was actually hoping that one of the kind, clever people here would save me having to look for it.

:namaste:
Kim

User avatar
Volovsky
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Throwing food

Post by Volovsky » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:25 pm

chownah wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:23 pm
Can you find what sutta that is?....I found some stuff on care of robes in the vinaya as one would expect but I didn't find anything on mending or repurposing the fabric.
There is a story in Vinaya (but I'm not sure if this is what Kim OHara had in mind). When Ven. Ānanda was presented with 500 robes from king Udena's wifes, he had such conversation with a king:
“But what can you, honourable Ānanda, do with so many robes?”
“I will share them, your majesty, with those monks whose robes are worn thin.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those old robes that are worn thin?”
“We will make them into upper coverings,51 your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those upper coverings that are old?”
“We will make these into mattress coverings, your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those mattress coverings that are old?”
“We will make them into ground coverings, your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those ground coverings that are old?”
“We will make them into foot-wipers, your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those foot-wipers that are old?”
“We will make them into dusters, your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those dusters that are old?”
“Having torn them into shreds, your majesty, having kneaded them with mud, we will smear a plaster-flooring.”
Kd 21.1.14

D1W1
Posts: 446
Joined: Sat May 30, 2015 5:52 am

Re: Throwing food

Post by D1W1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm

When we mindfully watch our action, same actions can have different intention.
Someone can think "the shop is closed now" followed by throwing away the food or "It's enough for today" then throw the food into the bin. And of course the same person can have the thought "I want to throw the food away" then throw it into the bin. I believe although the action is exactly the same but the result will be different.

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 5016
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Throwing food

Post by Kim OHara » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:55 pm

Volovsky wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:25 pm
chownah wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:23 pm
Can you find what sutta that is?....I found some stuff on care of robes in the vinaya as one would expect but I didn't find anything on mending or repurposing the fabric.
There is a story in Vinaya (but I'm not sure if this is what Kim OHara had in mind). When Ven. Ānanda was presented with 500 robes from king Udena's wifes, he had such conversation with a king:
“But what can you, honourable Ānanda, do with so many robes?”
“I will share them, your majesty, with those monks whose robes are worn thin.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those old robes that are worn thin?”
“We will make them into upper coverings,51 your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those upper coverings that are old?”
“We will make these into mattress coverings, your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those mattress coverings that are old?”
“We will make them into ground coverings, your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those ground coverings that are old?”
“We will make them into foot-wipers, your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those foot-wipers that are old?”
“We will make them into dusters, your majesty.”
“But what will you do, good Ānanda, with those dusters that are old?”
“Having torn them into shreds, your majesty, having kneaded them with mud, we will smear a plaster-flooring.”
Kd 21.1.14
That's the one!
:twothumbsup:
Thanks, Volovsky.

:namaste:
Kim

James Tan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Throwing food

Post by James Tan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 am

But do you think throwing away foods without good reasons will deplete off our own merits ?!
:reading:

User avatar
Kim OHara
Posts: 5016
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:47 am
Location: North Queensland, Australia

Re: Throwing food

Post by Kim OHara » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:59 am

James Tan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 am
But do you think throwing away foods without good reasons will deplete off our own merits ?!
If you want a one-word answer: Yes.

A slightly longer answer: IMHO, needlessly wasting anything is (slightly) bad kamma. Like the monk with his robe, we should make the best possible use of what we have.

:namaste:
Kim

User avatar
Volovsky
Posts: 288
Joined: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:32 am

Re: Throwing food

Post by Volovsky » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:04 am

James Tan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 am
But do you think throwing away foods without good reasons will deplete off our own merits ?!
It cannot deplete your merits (i.e. your previously accumulated good kamma), but it can lead to accumulation of new bad kamma if you throw food with mind obsessed by hate, greed or delusion.

chownah
Posts: 7597
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Throwing food

Post by chownah » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:06 am

It all depends on intention.
chownah

James Tan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Throwing food

Post by James Tan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 am

Kim OHara wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:59 am
James Tan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 am
But do you think throwing away foods without good reasons will deplete off our own merits ?!
If you want a one-word answer: Yes.

A slightly longer answer: IMHO, needlessly wasting anything is (slightly) bad kamma. Like the monk with his robe, we should make the best possible use of what we have.

:namaste:
Kim
Agree , anything we can owned is because of the outcome of previous accumulated wholesome kamma .
:reading:

chownah
Posts: 7597
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Throwing food

Post by chownah » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am

James Tan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 am
Kim OHara wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:59 am
James Tan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:53 am
But do you think throwing away foods without good reasons will deplete off our own merits ?!
If you want a one-word answer: Yes.

A slightly longer answer: IMHO, needlessly wasting anything is (slightly) bad kamma. Like the monk with his robe, we should make the best possible use of what we have.

:namaste:
Kim
Agree , anything we can owned is because of the outcome of previous accumulated wholesome kamma .
Do you mean like a kilo of heroine and a gun complete with bullets?
chownah

James Tan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Throwing food

Post by James Tan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:33 pm

chownah wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am
James Tan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 am
Kim OHara wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:59 am

If you want a one-word answer: Yes.

A slightly longer answer: IMHO, needlessly wasting anything is (slightly) bad kamma. Like the monk with his robe, we should make the best possible use of what we have.

:namaste:
Kim
Agree , anything we can owned is because of the outcome of previous accumulated wholesome kamma .
Do you mean like a kilo of heroine and a gun complete with bullets?
chownah
Do you see some people were born into family of criminal equipped with an army !?
:reading:

chownah
Posts: 7597
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Throwing food

Post by chownah » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:02 pm

James Tan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:33 pm
chownah wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am
James Tan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:17 am


Agree , anything we can owned is because of the outcome of previous accumulated wholesome kamma .
Do you mean like a kilo of heroine and a gun complete with bullets?
chownah
Do you see some people were born into family of criminal equipped with an army !?
You said "anything we can owned is because of the outcome of previous accumulated wholesome kamma ".......and since we can own a kilo of heroine and a gun complete with bullets your statement would mean that if we owned them (or consider the people who do own them if you have difficulty thinking of either of us owning them) then it must be because of prevoius accumulated wholesome kamma.
chownah

James Tan
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: Throwing food

Post by James Tan » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:31 pm

chownah wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:02 pm
James Tan wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:33 pm
chownah wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am

Do you mean like a kilo of heroine and a gun complete with bullets?
chownah
Do you see some people were born into family of criminal equipped with an army !?
You said "anything we can owned is because of the outcome of previous accumulated wholesome kamma ".......and since we can own a kilo of heroine and a gun complete with bullets your statement would mean that if we owned them (or consider the people who do own them if you have difficulty thinking of either of us owning them) then it must be because of prevoius accumulated wholesome kamma.
chownah
Well , not anything , something is a better word and if a person in this life able to possess something we regard praiseworthy and element of goodness in normal circumstances one of the reason is due to wholesome kamma done in previous life but as it could be sometimes mixed with unwholesomeness in actions and intention therefore difficult to have a clear distinction.

Is it possible something consider good in this life such as wealth , health , intellectual cleverness , longlife get manifested by doing bad deeds in previous life ?!
:reading:

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4619
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Throwing food

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Please could people leave off debating the general issue of the results of kamma, or start a new thread to discuss it? The issue was about throwing food away, so could posters please stick to that or move off elsewhere?

:focus:

Thanks!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], SkillfulA and 86 guests