Finding quiet living conditions as a householder

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
philosopher

Finding quiet living conditions as a householder

Post by philosopher »

As an adult I’ve often run into issues with noise in my living situations. I strive to be an 8 preceptor and to always maintain mindfulness throughout the day, and I think in some ways my practice has increased my sensitivity to external noise. Or, to try to put it another way, I've developing a stronger liking for silence and a stronger aversion to noise. I’ve always lived in urban or suburban areas.

What’s the best way to find quiet living conditions as a householder? Living in more rural or isolated areas? Ideally I’d like to live in a monastery or some kind of Buddhist community where conditions are more conducive, but this may not be possible given health restrictions. I’m curious to know if this problem has been encountered by other practitioners.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Finding quiet living conditions as a householder

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Yeah, I moved out to a farm to get away from people and noise. I rent a meadow from a friendly farmer, and I live there by myself in a yurt. I have solar panels, a log fire, and even a little kitchen.
The loudest noises are the birds, and sometimes a strong wind roaring in the trees.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

Not all of us can move right out into the country, so we have to make our minds quiet keeping precepts, guarding sense doors, being generous, keeping good friends, doing what we can otherwise and then ideally moving to a suitable locality or going forth. Ajahn chah says it's not the sound that disturbs us but we who disturb the sound.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
befriend

Post by befriend »

Irritation to sound is a good meditation object it's aversion watch the aversion pass and sound won't bother you.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hello:

As a householder i just moved to a rural area.
If you cant do that, there are always quiet neighborhoods in the cities. You can also make an investment in sound isolation for your house or apartment. If you cant do any of those, just make more money so in the future you can solve the problem. The cheap solution is lowering your stress levels so sound doesnt annoy you so much.

Regards.
ToVincent

Post by ToVincent »

2600htz wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:53 pm...

Yes, sometimes I think it's good to take a break.
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 pm Yeah, I moved out to a farm to get away from people and noise. I rent a meadow from a friendly farmer, and I live there by myself in a yurt. I have solar panels, a log fire, and even a little kitchen.
The loudest noises are the birds, and sometimes a strong wind roaring in the trees.
That sounds amazing. :)
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

2600htz wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:53 pm Hello:

As a householder i just moved to a rural area.
If you cant do that, there are always quiet neighborhoods in the cities. You can also make an investment in sound isolation for your house or apartment. If you cant do any of those, just make more money so in the future you can solve the problem. The cheap solution is lowering your stress levels so sound doesnt annoy you so much.

Regards.
I appreciate the practical advice; thanks.
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

befriend wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:14 pm Irritation to sound is a good meditation object it's aversion watch the aversion pass and sound won't bother you.
I have been trying to do this; thanks for the suggestion. I will keep trying. I notice that the anger lingers for quite some time - perhaps because it brings up the memories of all the battles so far with the neighbors - the fear (they have a dog that barks a lot and slams itself against the fence), the police refusing to do anything, and everything this brings up from my childhood (I went through a lot of abuse, trauma, and bullying...'intrusiveness' is a huge negative theme for me)

But I will keep trying. :anjali:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:58 am That sounds amazing. :)
Yes, it's a pretty good spot to live.
Attachments
tmp-cam--1158240947.jpg
Studio_20180921_163516.jpg
philosopher

Post by philosopher »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:39 am
philosopher wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:58 am That sounds amazing. :)
Yes, it's a pretty good spot to live.
Lovely. Thanks for sharing.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:49 pm Yeah, I moved out to a farm to get away from people and noise. I rent a meadow from a friendly farmer, and I live there by myself in a yurt. I have solar panels, a log fire, and even a little kitchen.
Sorry to ask about vulgar practicalities, but where do you poop? I’m genuinely interested and it could be useful info for others thinking about how to set up their own spot.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Polar Bear wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:45 pm Sorry to ask about vulgar practicalities, but where do you poop? I’m genuinely interested and it could be useful info for others thinking about how to set up their own spot.
One of those toilet-seat chairs for disabled people, with a bucket under it.
Poop in the bucket and throw a handful of sawdust on top to stop smells.
Cover bucket to stop animals.
When the bucket is full, I take it to the end of the meadow where there is a deep pit which the farmer throws dead sheep into, and old car tyres, and other unpleasant things covered in green water and oily muck.
I tip it in, and then set the empty bucket upside down in the grass with a brick on top to stop it blowing away.
There are about 7 buckets in a row there.
The insects and time clean the dirty bucket for me, and I use a fresh bucket from the other end of the line.
Each bucket takes maybe 3 weeks to fill, so I have about 4 months of buckets in the line, reusing the first one again after 4 months.
It works well and it not smelly.
In the past I would compost the poo and sawdust and use it on my garden, but I dont have a garden now and the farmer said just chuck it in the pit with the dead animals.
The "Humanure Handbook" is the best resource for home-composting poo, that's the most responsible way to do it.
:toast:
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sri Lankan's adopted the one thousand years old sanitary idea to solve the problems associated with modern toilets.

https://dharmawheel.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=283
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:10 am ...
Right on, thanks for the info.

:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."