Any recommended teachings, talks, or advice for dealing with noise?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
ToVincent

Re: Any recommended teachings, talks, or advice for dealing with noise?

Post by ToVincent »

Natural wax + cotton (mixed with a bit of alcohool).
Nothing beats that.
Like these: https://www.quies.com/product/wax-earplugs/

Make your own, if you can't buy those.

Handle with hands perfectly clean (surgeon like).
After use, clean the ears with Qtip + alcohool.
Olive oil can help alleviate the dryness of the inner ear, due to alcohool.
In this world, there are many people acting and yearning for the Mara's world; some for the Brahma's world; and very few for the Unborn.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

1. Ignore it willfully and cut off the sounds .
2. Shift your attention to BU DDHO . Keep on attending to BU DDHO until cross a threshold , every single sound you hear will be BU DDHO.

May you advance on the path .
May the BU DDHO be with you .
You always gain by giving
budo

Post by budo »

Ultimately you'll have to move somewhere quieter, there are no band-aid solutions for seclusion. For now you can meditate somewhere quiet.
denise

Post by denise »

hello all...i have tinnitus ....it doesn't come to mind unless i pay attention to it...i'm glad i can tune it out....no pun intended.... :tongue:
bksubhuti

Post by bksubhuti »

You can try this talk.
https://americanmonk.org/dhamma-talk-pr ... t-19-2018/

With only 5 minutes left before we were supposed to start, the security guard told us that someone else had the room booked and we would need to move to a smaller amd inferior room. It was a mistake on their part, and while I did ask to see the schedule book, I opted out because we were running out of time and needed to setup the room again. It was disturbing and noisy, but we had to make the best of it. During the process of being notified and moving our setup I said a few times, “I am a monk and we need to be passive……We are Buddhists and need to be passive.” I ended up speaking on a topic related to such an event. In the end we were right and the other group that took the room apologized to me. However, we did the right thing and represented The Buddha the correct way. Before we meditated, I coached them on how to meditate when noises are in the room. Had we refused to move there would be “no enjoyment” of our gains. The next time something happens to you like this, remember how a monk should act. We lost the room but in the end, the purpose was to lean about peace.

While the recording shows how noisy the room was during our dhamma talk, it also shows one how to meditate when one is in an environment that is exceptionally noisy. It should be useful for many people and in some cases, it can save some meditators years of frustration.

As the only Theravada Monk in Kauai, I have been giving Dhamma Talks every month, and at the request of one lady, I moved to a weekly Sunday schedule. A few donors were excited and booked the room through the end of September and another donor is waiting to book the room for all of October. I finally remembered to record myself. This has been maybe the 7th or 8th Dhamma Talk so far. For those who are interested in a guided meditation on loving-kindness, here it is.

You may download the mp3 for off-line listening (recommended) at https://archive.org/download/bhSubhuti- ... 9-2018.mp3