Hype theory - Buddhism in a nutshell :D

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Circle5

Hype theory - Buddhism in a nutshell :D

Post by Circle5 »

Following a reply of mine fromthis topicabout delusion, I've decided to start this topic. It's a quite simple subject but I believe it is important because in a way it's buddhism written in modern language.

If I were to put buddhism into 1 sentence, that sentence would be rule nr. 48 of the 48 rules of pimpin: Don't believe the hype!
In my country we don't have that word but we use an equally suited one: "getting into a movie".

And what does "getting hyped up" mean ? Why is it so important for pimps not to get hyped up ? Well, for example a pimp might get too hyped up into the gangster hype. He might think things like "I'm somebody", "I can fix any enemy, nobody can mess with me" or "I don't give an F about police", etc. Because of being too hyped up into that gangsta stuff, he will do a ton of stupid things, things that are considered childish by real pimps. Therefore, he should stay focused on the money and don't get hyped up at all. His blood should be as cool as possible and he should try making the most efficient and pragmatic decisions giving the circumstances that arise, without his ego or his hyped up head standing in the way of correct, cold blooded decisions.

It's not only pimps that get hyped up. All people get hyped up with no exception. Only thing that differs is the hype they are in and the level they are into that hype. There are a couple of main hypes one can get hyped up into. (NOTE: Normally a person is hyped up into a couple of hypes simultaneously. Imagine them like clouds that float over society)

Before collage:

- mobster hype
- cool hype

Collage:

- mobster hype (being street wise, a thuff guy, having relationships, snobbish about your money, etc. - it's the most popular hype in eastern europe and people from all social categories are into this hype, from millionaires to nobodies)

- hipster hype

After collage:

- proffesional hype (getting hyped up on how they are somebody because of collage, how they are "from the upper class" and snobbism like that)

These are the main hypes that people get hyped into. Of course there are many other hypes that are not as big. For example the famous/artsy hype. People from holywood are probably the most hyped up people on earth and that's why they have such a high suicide rate.

The goal of buddhism is to end up cool and not hyped up. It is the road to the destruction of hypes. But this doesn't mean hypes are bad and one should be against any type of hype and be a complete nihilist. For example when I meet people that are half into the mobster hype and half into the collage/professional hype, I do my best to encourage the snobbism and the way of thinking of the professional hype. I prefer having that guy hyped up on being a doctor than on being a weed dealer. Also, I miss no chance to encourage the buddhist hype because this is your boat for crossing the river. Don't throw the boat BEFORE crossing the river. People need to be hyped up into the buddhist hype and also about their profession in order to be motivated. Those that throw the boat before crossing the river, thinking they will do just fine without a boat are not pragmatic people.

One can also chose to cultivate certain elements from a hype that are good and try to stop elements that are not good. For example one can cultivate the good elements of the proffesional hype and try to not cultivate the bad elements such as looking down on people that are below you, being a snob, etc.

Besides these movies that people get into, there are also smaller attachments that give rise to delusion. For example attachment to alcohol or drugs might lead to a person saying that alcohol or drugs are not detrimental for him. That's why we have alcoholics in the negation phase. If he would not have that attachment, his opinion would be the same as any other person walking down the street, he would think more objectively. A person might also get hyped up on his car, on his looks, etc. Therefore, buddhism in a nutshell is: Don't get hyped up! :D

So, what hype have you been into ? I've always been into the mobster hype 8-)
JamesTheGiant

Re: Hype theory - Buddhism in a nutshell :D

Post by JamesTheGiant »

So, you've replaced "Attachment" with "Hype" :shrug:
chownah

Post by chownah »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:58 am So, you've replaced "Attachment" with "Hype" :shrug:
I think attachment is not quite right. I think he is using "hype" to mean the nearly constant generating of internal narratives and especially the ones which lead us to reckless behavior.

I kind of like it. I think that perhaps some people will understand "hype" better than they will understand "internal narratives".
chownah
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

chownah wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:34 am
JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:58 am So, you've replaced "Attachment" with "Hype" :shrug:
I think attachment is not quite right. I think he is using "hype" to mean the nearly constant generating of internal narratives and especially the ones which lead us to reckless behavior.

I kind of like it. I think that perhaps some people will understand "hype" better than they will understand "internal narratives".
chownah
Fair point. :anjali: It reminds me of when Noah Levine coined his "Punk Dhamma" that used subcultural language to teach the dhamma to a different group who would not have been interested in the "normal" mainstream translations.
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:45 am Fair point. :anjali: It reminds me of when Noah Levine coined his "Punk Dhamma" that used subcultural language to teach the dhamma to a different group who would not have been interested in the "normal" mainstream translations.
Elitist hype in action right here :coffee:
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Circle5 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:04 am
What? I'm agreeing with you and giving another good example of how making the language relevant to a particular group does work, like you say.
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:26 am
Circle5 wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:04 am
What? I'm agreeing with you and giving another good example of how making the language relevant to a particular group does work, like you say.
I was joking :D Note that I am not a native english speaker and words like "hype" do not have jargon or low class connotations for me. I use them like any other words and believe that "hype" is actually a perfect word in the context of buddhism. Buddha would have used it if it would have been available. I wish I had such a word in my language, but "getting into a movie" is equally good. :D
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

chownah wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:34 am I kind of like it. I think that perhaps some people will understand "hype" better than they will understand "internal narratives".
I second that. Presenting the dhamma in simple terms and linking it to everyday life situations makes it more appealing to me and easier to understand.

There are many wise people out there (including in this forum) who can help myself and others better understand the teachings if they keep things simple.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.