What is Dukkha Satya?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

What is Dukkha Satya?

Post by SarathW »

What is Dukkha Satya?

In the following video in Sinhalese language Ven Kumara Kassapa mentioned that Dukkha Satya (first Noble Truth) is not mental suffering and physical suffering.
He said what is not mental and physical suffering is the Dukkha Satya according to Buddhist teaching.
What is it?
What he said was Dukkha and Dukkha Satya are two different things.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Re: What is Dukkha Satya?

Post by DooDoot »

Its seeing/knowing the truth. There is: (i) suffering without understanding suffering and there is (ii) suffering with understanding suffering. The 1st Sermon says: "this noble truth of suffering is to be comprehended".

If you meditate & see clearly how the arising of clinging towards any aggregate, including jhanas, is disturbing (suffering), this is comprehending the 1st noble truth or dukkha sacca.

But if you suffer without seeing how suffering arises, this is ordinary dukkha or blind dukkha.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks DD.
It appears that Dukkha Arya Satya is realised at least you becoming a Sotapanna.
This is my understanding after listening to the following video in the Sinhalese language.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

He divides four Noble Truths into eight.
- Dukkha and Dukkha Satya
- Dikkha Samudaya and Dukkha Samudaya Satya
- Dukkha Nirodha and Dukkha Nirodha Satya
- Marga and Marga Satya.
He is referring to some Sutta sounds like "Yantrapkaranaya"
Are any of you have heard this division before?
If so what it is?
The following video is in Sinhalese language.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thankfully this morning I understood what it means by Anicca.
Many of us understand Anicca as the impermanence of the objects. (house, car, table etc)
What Buddha taught was the impermanence of the six senses.
Once you understand that the eye (not the physical eye) is impermanence you fully understand the impermanence of all seen. (house, car, table and anything come to contact with your eye.)
I am sure for many of you this is nothing new but for me, it is a new revelation.
:anjali:

Video in the Sinhalese language.

justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 pm Thankfully this morning I understood what it means by Anicca.
Many of us understand Anicca as the impermanence of the objects. (house, car, table etc)
Once you understand that the eye (not the physical eye) is impermanence you fully understand the impermanence of all seen. (house, car, table and anything come to contact with your eye.)
I am sure for many of you this is nothing new but for me, it is a new revelation.
:anjali:

Video in the Sinhalese language.

Once this dukka satya is applied to paticca samuppada damma can be seen extremely clearly. All 12 nidanas of paticca samuppada embrace anicca.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:05 pm Thankfully this morning I understood what it means by Anicca.
Yes, all three "components" of phassa ( contact ) are transient and conditional.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SarathW wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:28 pm What he said was Dukkha and Dukkha Satya are two different things.
Doesn't "satya" mean "truth"? So "dukkha satya" just means the truth of suffering?
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Yes, all three "components" of phassa ( contact ) are transient and conditional.
Agree. That is the Dukkha Satya.
Many people see the suffering only in the object. That is not seen in the Dukkha satya.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Doesn't "satya" mean "truth"? So "dukkha satya" just means the truth of suffering?
Ordinary Dukkha is understood by many people.
Dukkha Satya is only understood by Ariya (Sotapanna for the first time)
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:04 pm
Ordinary Dukkha is understood by many people.
Dukkha Satya is only understood by Ariya (Sotapanna for the first time)
Ven Galigamuwe Gnanadipa thero explains Dukka satya in a series of u tube ( sinhala) sermons. To me they are clear as he explains the connection between tanha , passa ( contact) and salayatana from paticca samuppada. As sarath states it may be true that only sotapanna and beyond can understand arya dukka satya. But I trust that any ordinary layman can see or visualise is able to understand what arya dukka satya is. Such a sight is like seeing an island from a far away boat in an ocean. But with endurance ( virya) just as the boat gets closer to the island a layman on the path of arya ashtanga marga , a non aryan ( but in the path) can understand arya dukka satya. But as lord budda explained to deva Rohitassa , we have to make investigations ( re paticca samuppada ) from within , but not by identifying dead body , sick people , sicknesses etc. of external objects. It is imperative that we must first understand anitya too from within.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

But I trust that any ordinary layman can see or visualise is able to understand what arya dukka satya is.
Agree.
There are many levels and types of Sotapanna.