What experiences happiness in Nibbana?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Re: What experiences happiness in Nibbana?

Post by mikenz66 »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:13 am
Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:43 am Abusive posts and material removed.

Contributors, please remember that abusive language disrupts discussion and will not be allowed.
To me, when someone says something like this:
Buddha, alone of all teachers and gurus, taught total and complete selfless ness', this is abusive. Wake up. :tantrum:
Well, that's essentially what he is reported to have said himself.

:focus:

:heart:
Mike
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:04 am
Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:43 am Abusive posts and material removed.

Contributors, please remember that abusive language disrupts discussion and will not be allowed.
Buddha, alone of all teachers and gurus, taught total and complete selfless ness', this is abusive. Wake up. :tantrum:

Mike
So someone gets to repeat this as truth? And, what was the context of him saying that? Lots of assumptions are being made.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Mike
So someone gets to repeat this as truth? And, what was the context of him saying that? Lots of assumptions are being made.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

I've found that, compared to other Buddhist discussion groups I'm in. This forum has a generally high threshold for abuse. Swearing is abuse. Attacking other people personally is abuse. Pretty much anything else is fine on this forum.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

"Furthermore, the monk who is a learner reflects, 'Is there outside of this [doctrine & discipline] any brahman or contemplative who teaches the true, genuine, & accurate Dhamma like the Blessed One?' And he discerns, 'No, there is no brahman or contemplative outside of this doctrine & discipline who teaches the true, genuine, & accurate Dhamma like the Blessed One.' This too is a manner of reckoning whereby a monk who is a learner, standing at the level of a learner, can discern that 'I am a learner.'
Sekha Sutta: The Learner
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Mike
Sorry, I've no idea what you are objecting to.

I was referring to this:
There are some ascetics and brahmins who claim to propound the complete understanding of all kinds of grasping. But they don’t correctly describe the complete understanding of all kinds of grasping. They describe the complete understanding of grasping at sensual pleasures, but not views, precepts and observances, and theories of a self. Why is that? Because those gentlemen don’t truly understand these three things. That’s why they claim to propound the complete understanding of all kinds of grasping, but they don’t really.
https://suttacentral.net/mn11/en/sujato#sc15
Or Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation: https://suttacentral.net/mn11/en/bodhi#sc12

Of course it's a little more nuanced than "Buddha, alone of all teachers and gurus, taught total and complete selfless ness"...

Mike
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

no,no, no, not only the Buddha, all the teaching Buddhas :)
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

mikenz66 wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:52 pm

Mike
Sorry, I've no idea what you are objecting to.

I was referring to this:
There are some ascetics and brahmins who claim to propound the complete understanding of all kinds of grasping. But they don’t correctly describe the complete understanding of all kinds of grasping. They describe the complete understanding of grasping at sensual pleasures, but not views, precepts and observances, and theories of a self. Why is that? Because those gentlemen don’t truly understand these three things. That’s why they claim to propound the complete understanding of all kinds of grasping, but they don’t really.
https://suttacentral.net/mn11/en/sujato#sc15
Or Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation: https://suttacentral.net/mn11/en/bodhi#sc12

Of course it's a little more nuanced than "Buddha, alone of all teachers and gurus, taught total and complete selfless ness"...

Mike
It is said in reference to what that cup of cold coffee said, not to you.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sorry I have no idea what you are talking about. I suggest returnibg to the topic.

Mike
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Saengnapha wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:13 am To me, when someone says something like this:
The Lion's Roar
...61. And the Blessed One spoke, saying: "In whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, there is not found the Noble Eightfold Path, neither is there found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, or fourth degree of saintliness. But in whatsoever Dhamma and Discipline there is found the Noble Eightfold Path, there is found a true ascetic of the first, second, third, and fourth degrees of saintliness.[54] Now in this Dhamma and Discipline, Subhadda, is found the Noble Eightfold Path; and in it alone are also found true ascetics of the first, second, third, and fourth degrees of saintliness. Devoid of true ascetics are the systems of other teachers. But if, Subhadda, the bhikkhus live righteously, the world will not be destitute of arahats.

62. "In age but twenty-nine was I, Subhadda,
When I renounced the world to seek the Good;
Fifty-one years have passed since then, Subhadda,
And in all that time a wanderer have I been
In the domain of virtue and of truth,
And except therein, there is no saint
(of the first degree).

"And there is none of the second degree, nor of the third degree, nor of the fourth degree of saintliness. Devoid of true ascetics are the systems of other teachers. But if, Subhadda, the bhikkhus live righteously, the world will not be destitute of arahats." dn16
Lesser creatures tremble when the Lion Roars