Piya Tan's Dharmafarer.org website is in the process of moving.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Unfortunately, this means that any links to the old site will not work...

See: http://themindingcentre.org/

Here is some discussion:
https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.p ... 7006571325
Piya Tan
9 July at 17:17
SUTTA DISCOVERY REBORN
as themindingcentre.org
then go to “Sutta Discovery”

or: Sutta Discovery (SD) | The Minding Centre3

This is a very difficult challenge but as before we will prevail with Dhamma.

Due to some technical problem, we need some more time to work with Dharmafarer.org: we will probably lose all the files there due to some technicality.

The blessing is that we are replacing them with NEW AND ENLARGED VERSIONS. Many of the volumes are becoming double, even triple sets. The Dhamma is getting ever clearer and joyful than ever before.

DROP BY DROP

RATNA is starting the SD website from scratch. Sorry we cannot give you a really posh-looking website like the well-sponsored Sutta websites.

Ratna is working on the page structure with SD headings, links and so on. The rest will follow thokaṁ thokaṁ, as the suttas say. Please bear with us with lots of metta.

All this is Ratna’s own initiative, and I am amazed at her dedication and diligence to the Dhamma. Sadhu!

HOME-SPUN

The SD website is basically a home-spun effort with the help of a few IT-savvy friends and with lots of love for DHAMMA. We have no rich sponsors but working people working with us out of love for Dhamma. Sadhu to them, too.

Yet, people say this is the BEST sutta website. Sadhu.

SUPPORT NEEDED

Thanks for the support. And we need your continued support.

More importantly, do use the sutta translations wisely.

Sutta Discovery (SD) | The Minding Centre3

SD book covers: thanks Lien Veron for these beautiful covers. The last 2 covers are unused since we only had funds to publish the first 2 volumes. Anyway, our priority is to finish many more new SD volumes and put them online.
Pseudobabble

Re: Piya Tan's Dharmafarer.org website is in the process of moving.

Post by Pseudobabble »

I'd be happy to whip up a 'posh looking website', as long as Piya doesn't mind me modifying a template.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
mikenz66

Re: Piya Tan's Dharmafarer.org website is in the process of moving.

Post by mikenz66 »

Perhaps you could ask him. I have no particular connection with him, I'm just passing on the news. It's a pity he hasn't had better support for organising his work in a way that would be useable for other purposes.

There was some discussion on sutta central about how it would have been nice to use his translations, but that extracting useful text from his complex, non-unicode, word-processor files would be a nightmare:
https://discourse.suttacentral.net/t/ca ... ions/2336/

I mention this, not to criticise Piya, who has worked with the tools he had available, but to point out that in a large-scale project a good set of tools can make a huge difference.

:heart:
Mike