Dangers of Meditation

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
auto

Re: Dangers of Meditation

Post by auto »

alfa wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:34 am Recently I read something online, can't find the link now.

Anyway, the scholar says something like this:

When we sit down and do nothing, it becomes hard for us, NOT because doing nothing is hard. But when we have nothing to do, we are forced to come face to face with the inner demons, subconscious impulses, suppressed anger, hidden desires, etc.

So what he's essentially saying is: doing nothing isn't the problem. It simply exposes the problems inside, which is why we are constantly engaged in some activity.

Now if this is the case, then wouldn't it make the 'idle mind-devil's workshop' saying true? If so, why bother with meditation when it's only going to bring out the worst from inside of you?
read MN suttas.

https://www.dhammatalks.org/suttas/MN/MN5.html
“Then again, the individual who, being unblemished, doesn’t discern as it has come to be that ‘I have no inner blemish’ is called the inferior man of the two individuals who are unblemished. The individual who, being unblemished, discerns as it has come to be that ‘I have no inner blemish’ is called the superior man of the two individuals who are unblemished.”
if bad things are in you, you are not free of it because you don't feel anything, you have to get the evil out to say you have no evil, you will then battle with that evil and hopefully win.
It seem it is no point back up with Sutta quotes, while you do say things without sutta then it is asked to back it up, but at the end of the day none reads them only 1-2 people.
[Ven. Sāriputta:] “With regard to that, my friend, when an individual, being blemished, doesn’t discern that ‘I have an inner blemish,’ it can be expected of him that he will not generate desire, endeavor, or arouse persistence for the abandoning of that blemish. He will die with passion, with aversion, with delusion—blemished & with a mind defiled.
read suttas it will make sense.
auto

Post by auto »

SarathW wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:11 am This the reason why people should practice meditation by following the Noble Eightfold Path.
It start from right view then follow to right concentration.
Without this people get in to wrong concentration which is dangerous.
If you don't have depression, anxiety any that grade of suffering now, expect to have these as a complication at older age besides main diseases.

These diseases have marked Cause as unknown.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Why bother with meditation when it's only going to bring out the worst from inside of you?
This is a wrong understanding.
Study Satipathana and you see the difference.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

“ Monks, I declare two reactions to suffering, either total delusion (sammoha) or search (pariyeṭṭhi).”
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 23.12.19.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 23.12.48.png
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested