Can we teach Anicca, Dukkha , Anatta without the teaching of rebirth and Kamma?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Another question is whether we can attain Nibbana without talking about rebirth and Kamma.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
DooDoot

Re: Can we teach Anicca, Dukkha , Anatta without the teaching of rebirth and Kamma?

Post by DooDoot »

Did the Buddha (in SN 22.59) teach Anicca, Dukkha , Anatta without the teaching of rebirth and Kamma?
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
cappuccino

Re: Can we teach Anicca, Dukkha , Anatta without the teaching of rebirth and Kamma?

Post by cappuccino »

suffering is much more serious because of many lives

it's almost irrelevant without many lives
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

What is my present suffering got to do with rebirth and Kamma (Vipaka of next life)?
What Buddha taught was the suffering, reason, path and the elimination of suffering.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:35 pmWhat is my present suffering got to do with...
What does any suffering got to do with anicca, dukkha & anatta? :shrug:
O monks, the well-instructed noble disciple, seeing thus, gets wearied of form, gets wearied of feeling, gets wearied of perception, gets wearied of mental formations, gets wearied of consciousness. Being wearied he becomes passion-free. In his freedom from passion, he is emancipated. Being emancipated, there is the knowledge that he is emancipated. He knows: 'birth is exhausted, lived is the holy life, what had to be done is done, there is nothing more of this becoming.

SN 22.59
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

gets wearied
What is the Pali word for "Wearied"?

Which means you can attain Nibbana without believing in kamma or another life.
Do you have to believe in Kamma and rebirth to be wearied?
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:17 am
gets wearied
What is the Pali word for "Wearied"?

Which means you can attain Nibbana without believing in kamma or another life.
Do you have to believe in Kamma and rebirth to be wearied?
Seeing this, a learned noble disciple becomes disillusioned with form, feeling, perception, choices, and consciousness.
Evaṃ passaṃ, bhikkhave, sutavā ariyasāvako rūpasmimpi nibbindati, vedanāyapi nibbindati, saññāyapi nibbindati, saṅkhāresupi nibbindati, viññāṇasmimpi nibbindati.

Being disillusioned they become dispassionate. Being dispassionate they’re freed. When freed, they know ‘it is freed’.
Nibbindaṃ virajjati; virāgā vimuccati. Vimuttasmiṃ vimuttamiti ñāṇaṃ hoti.

https://suttacentral.net/sn22.59/en/sujato#11.1--11.2
:heart:
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Mike.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

My reply on this topic viewtopic.php?p=480384#p480384 applies here as well. To drive home that point as well,

Now, there are two destinations for a person with wrong view, I tell you: either hell or the animal womb."
- Talaputa Sutta
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Now, there are two destinations for a person with wrong view, I tell you: either hell or the animal womb."
- Talaputa Sutta
What stops if someone said that not believe in creator God is the wrong view and for them the destination is the animal womb or the hell?
salayatananirodha

I don't understand what you mean.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

You could, I suppose, but the latter is a logical extension of the former. The two concepts are ultimately inseparable (besides release into Nibbana), imo.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I don't understand what you mean.
What I am saying is you can't accept things only on faith.
Say if someone asks you to accept that the God create the world will you accept it?
salayatananirodha

Why would you accept the three marks of existence teaching without accepting kamma and rebirth? I'm aware that you could, but you'd be getting it from someone other than the buddha, thus not explained correctly.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:45 am Why would you accept the three marks of existence teaching without accepting kamma and rebirth? I'm aware that you could, but you'd be getting it from someone other than the buddha, thus not explained correctly.
It might be that some people accept what they can. The three marks are comprehensible to them, whereas kamma (at least, the kamma with post mortem fruition) and rebirth are incomprehensible. This appears to be the position of many "secular Buddhists" such as Stephen Batchelor.