Rebirth question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DooDoot

Re: Rebirth question

Post by DooDoot »

pegembara wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 am“This was the third knowledge I attained in the third watch of the night.
... pubbe nivāsa was the first knowledge...
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

DooDoot wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:36 am
pegembara wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:57 amDid it lead to liberation? Yes or no?
My mind still remains perplexed. How exactly did this recollection of pubbe nivāsa lead to liberation? Thanks :shrug:
Only the third knowledge can lead to liberation.
The first 2 knowledges did not. They are not even unique to Buddhism.
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
markandeya

Post by markandeya »

Laurens wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:23 am I was thinking about rebirth the other day. It's not something I find especially interesting, because it is rarely relevant to practise for me. However one question did occur to me:

Is rebirth bound by time in the same way that our lives seem to be? Or to phrase it differently, is it possible to be alive at the same time as one of your other incarnations?

This is not something I have heard discussed, or refuted in Buddhism, so I don't know if there is an answer.
Hi Laurens

There is continuum of conditions, birth and death are happened at the micro level, beyond all normal perceptions, as Freud would say we are only aware of the tip of the iceberg. While the gross understanding of birth and death is usually translated as going from one life form to another within the changing conditions of birth, becoming , growth, manifestation and decline there is also the same process happening at the micro level which then gradually turns from subtle to gross, this process is called samasra and its eternal or ongoing without start and end.

So whatever actions we do will leave subtle causes and conditions for future rebirth and will remain in the continuum, so if we can include the continuum of conditions and understand all causes and conditions within this very life then we add to more positive conditions in the future.

We can look at it in a simple way. If one works at amassing good wealth then usually when one passes on that inheritance its then passed on to the next generations and they reap the rewards. If one amasses poverty throughout ones actions in this life then that will be passed onto future generations after ones dies and they will reap the sufferings.

How we act now and how we develop will always add to the future conditions, so to understand the process of rebirth is extremely important for the continuum of life

Dharma teaches universal responsibility and caring abut future generations not just our own.

:anjali:
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

the being is part of a universal story, the universally dependent unfolding of events, there is no opening for rebirth outside of the universally present state of the system
form

Post by form »

If time is considered the fourth dimension and there is a way to be not limited by it, then there is no time. This concept appears very commonly in some mahayana buddhists. And more likely it is in the final nibanna stage.