What will be my destination if I die with a desire to attain Nibbana?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Saengnapha

Re: What will be my destination if I die with a desire to attain Nibbana?

Post by Saengnapha »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:29 am What will be my destination if I die with a desire to attain Nibbana?
Either the grave or the crematoria.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:29 am What will be my destination if I die with a desire to attain Nibbana?
The question is in jeopardy , it is a false question
. The "you" or " I" is the ever changing aggregates , therefore , assuming there is a person going to be reborn is a projection of the mind .

The proper phrase would be , after the break up of the aggregates, if there is a future continuity of the aggregates where will it be taking place or in which realm ?

The mind that thinking of dhamma probably will be in wholesome realm imo.
You always gain by giving
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Its not a unskillful desire, but in and of itself it probably won't do anything. Best to cultivate the 8 fold path.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:29 amWhat will be my destination if I die with a desire to attain Nibbana?
If you desired Nibbana, you (the mind) would have attained it already. Therefore, dying with a desire to attain Nibbana (that is dying wanting something you don't what it is) appears indicative of confusion or delusion.
Bhikkhus, a god, a human or any other good state would not be evident from actions born of greed, hate and delusion. Yet, bhikkhus, from actions born of greed, hate and delusion a hellish being, an animal birth a ghostly birth or some other bad state would be evident.

AN 6.39
For example, if my life was terminating and I wanted Nibbana, I would abandon the idea of "I" and use sati to bring to mind impermanence, unsatisfactoriness of the world & anatta. But you seem to desire something that you don't know what it actually is. Its like desiring an extremely beautiful woman but not knowing that physically beautiful women is mentally neurotic.

:smile:
Last edited by DooDoot on Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 6 times in total.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
santa100

Post by santa100 »

SN 22.101 wrote:Bhikkhus, when a bhikkhu does not dwell devoted to development, even though such a wish as this might arise in him: ‘Oh, that my mind might be liberated from the taints by nonclinging!’ yet his mind is not liberated from the taints by nonclinging. For what reason? It should be said: because of nondevelopment. Because of not developing what? Because of not developing the four establishments of mindfulness … the four right strivings … the four bases for spiritual power … the five spiritual faculties … the five powers … the seven factors of enlightenment … the Noble Eightfold Path...

Bhikkhus, when a bhikkhu dwells devoted to development, even though no such wish as this might arise in him: ‘Oh, that my mind might be liberated from the taints by nonclinging!’ yet his mind is liberated from the taints by nonclinging. For what reason? It should be said: because of development. Because of developing what? Because of developing the four establishments of mindfulness … the four right strivings … the four bases for spiritual power … the five spiritual faculties … the five powers … the seven factors of enlightenment … the Noble Eightfold Path.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

According to Buddhism, it depends on your kamma and kamma-vipaka.
"Suppose, headman, a person would hurl a huge boulder into a deep pool of water. Then a
great crowd of people would come together and assemble around it, and they would send up
prayers and recite praise and circumambulate it making reverential salutations, saying:
Emerge, good boulder! Rise up, good boulder! Come up on to high ground, good boulder!
What do you think, headman? Because of the prayers of the great crowd of people, because of
their praise, because they circumambulate it making reverential salutations, would that boulder
emerge, rise up, and come to the high ground? No, venerable sir. So, too, headman, if a person
is one who destroys life, does not keep the precepts, and holds wrong understanding, even
though a great crowd of people would come together and assemble around him . . . still, with the
breakup of the body, after death, that person will be reborn in a state of misery, in a bad
destination, in the nether world, in hell.

Suppose, headman, a man submerges a pot of ghee or a pot of oil in a deep pool of water and
breaks it. Any of its shards or fragments there would sink downwards, but the ghee or oil would
rise upwards. Then a great crowd of people would come together and assemble around it, and
they would send up prayers and recite praise and circumambulate it making reverential
salutations, saying: Sink down, good ghee or oil! Settle good ghee or oil! Go downwards, good
ghee or oil! What do you think, headman? Because of the prayers of the great crowd of people,
because of their praise, because they circumambulate it making reverential salutations, would
that ghee or oil sink down or settle or go downwards? No, Venerable sir. So, too, headman, if a
person is one who abstains from the destruction of life and keeps the other precepts too, who
holds right understanding, even though a great crowd of people would come together and
assemble around him . . . still, with the breakup of the body, after death, that person will be
reborn in a good destination, in a heavenly world." Samyutta Nikaya 42.6
robertk

Post by robertk »

excellent citations by DNS (the boss ha) and santa100!

I add one more:

"In beings subject to birth, the wish arises, 'O, may we not be subject to birth, and may birth not come to us.' But this is not be achieved by wishing. This is the stress of not getting what one wants. In beings subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair, the wish arises, 'O, may we not be subject to aging... illness... death... sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair, and may aging... illness... death... sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, & despair not come to us.' But this is not be achieved by wishing. This is the stress of not getting what one wants."
Mahasatipatthana sutta