Which Sutta I this ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
vishy89

Which Sutta I this ?

Post by vishy89 »

In Bhikkhu Suvaco's very informative blog the following statement is mentioned :

"Nirvana

“Ananda, you can’t use only knowledge and ignorance to be the measurement. You have to take the ability to abandon defilements to be the measurement, because those who will realize Nirvana can do so only by depending on the abandoning of defilements. Once the defilements have been abandoned, then Nirvana will be realized.” "

Could someone help me the Sutta which relates ti this ?

I have emailed Bhikkhu Suvaco . But so far no luck.
The link to the blog I here.

https://suvacobhikkhu.wordpress.com/meditation-manuals/

Thanks for any help.
Metta
santa100

Re: Which Sutta I this ?

Post by santa100 »

Probably a summarized version of Iti 1.9 - Iti 1.13
Dhammanando

Re: Which Sutta I this ?

Post by Dhammanando »

vishy89 wrote: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:42 am In Bhikkhu Suvaco's very informative blog the following statement is mentioned :

"Nirvana

“Ananda, you can’t use only knowledge and ignorance to be the measurement. You have to take the ability to abandon defilements to be the measurement, because those who will realize Nirvana can do so only by depending on the abandoning of defilements. Once the defilements have been abandoned, then Nirvana will be realized.” "
It's from the Girimananda Sutta ... sort of. You won't find it, however, in the Girimananda Sutta as it's preserved in the Anguttara Nikaya. Rather it's from an early 20th century Thai paraphrase of the sutta by Somdet Upali, which came to be included in the syllabus for the Nak Tham course. The paraphrase is a very expansive one, perhaps a dozen times longer than the sutta itself.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)