can you be superstitious in buddhism

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dharmacorps

Re: can you be superstitious in buddhism

Post by dharmacorps »

Acknowledging the existence of something supernatural is different than trying to worship something supernatural. The Buddha never suggested we worship ghosts, spirits, or try to control other forces of nature-- that would be superstition. Wish them goodwill and move along. That said, of course there is much superstition in cultures which also have Buddhism present.
alfa

Post by alfa »

dharmacorps wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 pm Acknowledging the existence of something supernatural is different than trying to worship something supernatural. The Buddha never suggested we worship ghosts, spirits, or try to control other forces of nature-- that would be superstition. Wish them goodwill and move along. That said, of course there is much superstition in cultures which also have Buddhism present.
I think this is the right approach. Buddha was speaking to a certain audience at that time, an audience that believed in ghosts etc. SO he had to speak their language to convey his message. And this had nothing to do with endorsing their views.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

That's a shade different though. If ghosts and spirits didn't exist, I don't think the Buddha would have confirmed their existence. He wasn't just humoring the culture he was in.
Grigoris

Post by Grigoris »

alfa wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:48 am
dharmacorps wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:32 pm Acknowledging the existence of something supernatural is different than trying to worship something supernatural. The Buddha never suggested we worship ghosts, spirits, or try to control other forces of nature-- that would be superstition. Wish them goodwill and move along. That said, of course there is much superstition in cultures which also have Buddhism present.
I think this is the right approach. Buddha was speaking to a certain audience at that time, an audience that believed in ghosts etc. SO he had to speak their language to convey his message. And this had nothing to do with endorsing their views.
Nonsense. The Buddha was more than happy to slap people for wrong views regarding other issues, why would he pander to his audience in this case? I'll answer it for you: He wouldn't/didn't.
ye dhammā hetuppabhavā tesaṁ hetuṁ tathāgato āha,
tesaṃca yo nirodho - evaṁvādī mahāsamaṇo.

Of those phenomena which arise from causes:
Those causes have been taught by the Tathāgata,
And their cessation too - thus proclaims the Great Ascetic.