Experience with Sayadaw U Tejaniya at Shwe Oo Min?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Kabouterke

Experience with Sayadaw U Tejaniya at Shwe Oo Min?

Post by Kabouterke »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone here spent any significant amount of time with Sayadaw U Tejaniya at Shwe Oo Min Dhamma Sukha Tawya in Yangon?

I'm planning on going there for a number of months in the future, and would just like to speak to someone who has stayed and practiced there for a while.

If you'd be willing to let me ask you a few questions via email, please let me know below and I will send you a PM.

Thanks in advance :)
Nicolas

Re: Experience with Sayadaw U Tejaniya at Shwe Oo Min?

Post by Nicolas »

I believe that Ven. Kumara is a student of Sayadaw U Tejaniya, you could try to PM him, he was active on the forum yesterday.
Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta

Re: Experience with Sayadaw U Tejaniya at Shwe Oo Min?

Post by Sabbe_Dhamma_Anatta »

https://insightmyanmar.org/burmadhammab ... u-tejaniya

Ordaining under Sayadaw U Tejaniya

"David Sudar, an American former monk, reflects on his time with Sayadaw U Tejaniya and how he has been able to apply his teachings in daily since since studying under him."
  • I spent roughly two years in Myanmar (2014/2015), primarily in robes under the guidance of Sayadaw U Tejaniya.
    I spent nearly the entire period engaged in formal, intensive meditation practice — around 14-16 hours a day.
    it's actually a little hard now for me to relate to "who I was" before that time, as "who I am" ever since has felt so much different. Previously, my baseline state of being revolved entirely around my thoughts. Nowadays, it feels like the meditative state that Sayadaw U Tejaniya calls “awareness+wisdom” is more of my baseline.
    Plus, the dhamma just makes so much sense to me now at a fundamental level of being! It is the only thing that truly stirs me anymore; I guess that's a way of saying that my saddhā [conviction, or faith] has become pretty unshakeable.
    Then the ups and downs of life started to feel less like “my life is chaotic,” and more like, “chaos is happening.” This perspective shift was huge.
    Sayadaw helped me see that the practice isn't to avoid, bypass or even transcend our difficulties, but rather to directly engage with them, beneath the thoughts, and just with the actual experience. In that vein, especially nowadays during the pandemic, with all its attendant stress, I find that simply helping people develop “right attitude” towards their stress & suffering is one of the most powerful meditative tools.
    Even though I wasn’t doing any formal loving-kindness or compassion practices, that was exactly what I started to feel towards myself. In turn, I began to understand why Sayadaw taught that loving-kindness and compassion are the byproduct of wisdom. Since that time, I have found it useful to work more directly with those practices; however, that experience gave me insight into how the brahma viharas [the sublime emotions] mesh together, and how the different factors of the path strengthen and deepen each other.
    He didn’t put on any airs, didn't try to hide his flaws, and seemed to me to have a lot of self-honesty. ... His authenticity led me to trust him very deeply, and also provided a blueprint for how "living dhamma" can still feel “human.”
    I currently reside in Portland, Oregon in the United States, and here as much as in Myanmar, I find the dhamma deeply inspiring!
    If have any questions or would like to get in contact, you can find me on my webhome at pathofsincerity.com
:heart:
𝓑𝓾𝓭𝓭𝓱𝓪 𝓗𝓪𝓭 𝓤𝓷𝓮𝓺𝓾𝓲𝓿𝓸𝓬𝓪𝓵𝓵𝔂 𝓓𝓮𝓬𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽
  • Iᴅᴇᴀ ᴏꜰ Sᴏᴜʟ ɪs Oᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀɴ Uᴛᴛᴇʀʟʏ Fᴏᴏʟɪsʜ Vɪᴇᴡ
    V. Nanananda

𝓐𝓷𝓪𝓽𝓽ā 𝓜𝓮𝓪𝓷𝓼 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓣𝓱𝓮𝓻𝓮 𝓘𝓼
  • Nᴏ sᴜᴄʜ ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴀs ᴀ Sᴇʟғ, Sᴏᴜʟ, Eɢᴏ, Sᴘɪʀɪᴛ, ᴏʀ Āᴛᴍᴀɴ
    V. Buddhādasa