Questions About the Thai Forest Tradtion

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
LuisR

Questions About the Thai Forest Tradtion

Post by LuisR »

I was wondering what the differences between the Dhammayuttika and the Maha Nikaya are. Is the basic practice of Anapana Meditation the same between these two branches of the Forest tradtion? Also I read on that the Forest teachers directly challenge the notion of dry insight? What does this mean? How does the Thai Forest teachers approach Vipassana?
dharmacorps

Re: Questions About the Thai Forest Tradtion

Post by dharmacorps »

This is mostly about politics really, rather than substantive differences in practice.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

LuisR wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:54 pmHow does the Thai Forest teachers approach Vipassana?
In many different ways. "Thai Forest" is a very general term, it's not an "organisation".

Sorry, that doesn't sound very helpful, but this list just scratches the surface:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... _monastics

:heart:
Mike
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

Thanissaro gives a day-long talk on the Thai Forest Tradition that I would highly recommend.

https://www.audiodharma.org/series/16/talk/5996/
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Idappaccayata wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 pm Thanissaro gives a day-long talk on the Thai Forest Tradition that I would highly recommend.

thanks a lot :popcorn:
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Thanks for the replies.
Idappaccayata wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:33 pm Thanissaro gives a day-long talk on the Thai Forest Tradition that I would highly recommend.

Thank you for the link. So Thanissaro Bhikkhu teachers the same Meditation as Ajahn Lee Dhammadaro? How would this method differ from the Ajahn Cha lineage?
bodom

Post by bodom »

LuisR wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:23 am Thanks for the replies.

Thank you for the link. So Thanissaro Bhikkhu teachers the same Meditation as Ajahn Lee Dhammadaro? How would this method differ from the Ajahn Cha lineage?
It really doesn’t. Some of Ajahn Chah’s senior western disciples recommend reading Ajahn Dhammadaro’s and Thanissaro’s meditation manuals.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Its also notable that Ajahn Chah studied briefly under Ajahn Mun. When it comes down to it, its about dilligence of practice and observing the vinaya, and the rest is politics. I am sure if you asked Thanissaro Bhikkhu he would probably agree as he routinely refers to Ajahn Chah and visits Ajahn Chah branch monasteries. The mutual respect is definitely there.
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

dharmacorps wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:46 pm Its also notable that Ajahn Chah studied briefly under Ajahn Mun. When it comes down to it, its about dilligence of practice and observing the vinaya, and the rest is politics. I am sure if you asked Thanissaro Bhikkhu he would probably agree as he routinely refers to Ajahn Chah and visits Ajahn Chah branch monasteries. The mutual respect is definitely there.
He visits Ajahn chah branch monasteries? Interesting, I didn't know that.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

from what's recorded, Ajahn chah taught recitation of the word "buddho" along with breath meditation. Generally at the nose tip. But like others have mentioned, it was much more about what works, and diligence with Ajahn chah.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

Thank you for the replies. I appreciate it.
JMGinPDX

Post by JMGinPDX »

bodom wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:15 pm

It really doesn’t. Some of Ajahn Chah’s senior western disciples recommend reading Ajahn Dhammadaro’s and Thanissaro’s meditation manuals.

Yes - I'm an upasaka at Portland Friends of the Dhamma, an Ajahn Chah lineage center under the direction of LP Pasanno and Abhayagiri and directed by CALM graduate Sakula Mary Reinard...and half of our bookshelf of free books is books by Ajahn Geoff. He also comes here once a year for a non-residential weekend retreat.
Right now, it's like this...
LuisR

Post by LuisR »

JMGinPDX wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:12 pm
bodom wrote: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Yes - I'm an upasaka at Portland Friends of the Dhamma, an Ajahn Chah lineage center under the direction of LP Pasanno and Abhayagiri and directed by CALM graduate Sakula Mary Reinard...and half of our bookshelf of free books is books by Ajahn Geoff. He also comes here once a year for a non-residential weekend retreat.

I have seen the Portland Friends of the Dhamma videos on youtube. Including several with Thanissaro Bhikkhu. :namaste:
JMGinPDX

Post by JMGinPDX »

LuisR wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:02 am I have seen the Portland Friends of the Dhamma videos on youtube. Including several with Thanissaro Bhikkhu. :namaste:
I'm glad! I personally shot most of those and will look forward to doing so again when he's here again this autumn.
Right now, it's like this...