Unofficial Ebook for Digha Nikaya and Majjhima Nikaya from Bhante Sujato

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BKh

Unofficial Ebook for Digha Nikaya and Majjhima Nikaya from Bhante Sujato

Post by BKh »

This page has links to an unofficial epub version of the Long Discourses and the Middle Discourses by Bhante Sujato from SuttaCentral.net. The official ones should be out soon, but for those who can't wait another day... enjoy.

http://readingfaithfully.org/unofficial ... tral-epub/
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
ieee23

Re: Unofficial Ebook for Digha Nikaya and Majjhima Nikaya from Bhante Sujato

Post by ieee23 »

Awesome! Thank you for posting. :clap:
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
BKh

Post by BKh »

I've now updated the MN e-book to include the Pali titles. With the new English titles for some I thought it would be a good idea. The typography is much improved and a font is now bundled in so if your reader doesn't support all the characters you should have them now.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I like how the copyright page says "You are invited to copy, alter, redistribute, present, perform, convey, or make use of any or all of this material in any way you wish. "
So if you don't like a translation, you can run an auto-replace, and adjust it to you heart's content.
I remember talking to Bhante Sujato and arguing with him about a clunky translation of "Jhana". He said "Please change it if you like, and re-release the book."
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:02 pm I like how the copyright page says "You are invited to copy, alter, redistribute, present, perform, convey, or make use of any or all of this material in any way you wish. "
So if you don't like a translation, you can run an auto-replace, and adjust it to you heart's content.
I remember talking to Bhante Sujato and arguing with him about a clunky translation of "Jhana". He said "Please change it if you like, and re-release the book."
what was the translation?
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Idappaccayata wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:00 pm what was the translation?
Bhante Sujato often uses "convergence" for "jhana". I think that's not good, but he knows pali fluently, so who am I to argue.
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:16 pm
Bhante Sujato often uses "convergence" for "jhana". I think that's not good, but he knows pali fluently, so who am I to argue.
hmm that's interesting. I've liked the term "collectedness" before, but that's obviously too clunky. Convergence is closer though IMO. Probably best to leave untranslated.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Idappaccayata wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:22 pm Probably best to leave untranslated.
Yes, that's what I argued, but he was keen on an all-English text, except for the few crazy-difficult terms.
BKh

Post by BKh »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:16 pm
He seems to now be using absorption
https://suttacentral.net/mn4/en/sujato#sc18
My energy was roused up and vigorous, my mindfulness was established and lucid, my body was tranquil and undisturbed, and my mind was immersed in samādhi. Quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unskillful qualities, I entered and remained in the first absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of seclusion, while placing the mind and keeping it connected. As the placing of the mind and keeping it connected were stilled, I entered and remained in the second absorption, which has the rapture and bliss born of immersion, with internal clarity and confidence, and unified mind, without placing the mind and keeping it connected. And with the fading away of rapture, I entered and remained in the third absorption, where I meditated with equanimity, mindful and aware, personally experiencing the bliss of which the noble ones declare, ‘Equanimous and mindful, one meditates in bliss.’ With the giving up of pleasure and pain, and the ending of former happiness and sadness, I entered and remained in the fourth absorption, without pleasure or pain, with pure equanimity and mindfulness.
Vimalayaka

Post by Vimalayaka »

Thanks for sharing these files.
JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 pm
Idappaccayata wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:22 pm Probably best to leave untranslated.
Yes, that's what I argued, but he was keen on an all-English text, except for the few crazy-difficult terms.
That's always the problem, leaving it untranslated is good for people who already know about it, but very bad for new readers.