Eight Faceted Gem

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Pondera

Eight Faceted Gem

Post by Pondera » Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 am

From DN 2 -
Insight Knowledge
"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to knowledge and vision. He discerns: 'This body of mine is endowed with form, composed of the four primary elements, born from mother and father, nourished with rice and porridge, subject to inconstancy, rubbing, pressing, dissolution, and dispersion. And this consciousness of mine is supported here and bound up here.' Just as if there were a beautiful beryl gem of the purest water — eight faceted, well polished, clear, limpid, consummate in all its aspects, and going through the middle of it was a blue, yellow, red, white, or brown thread — and a man with good eyesight, taking it in his hand, were to reflect on it thus: 'This is a beautiful beryl gem of the purest water, eight faceted, well polished, clear, limpid, consummate in all its aspects. And this, going through the middle of it, is a blue, yellow, red, white, or brown thread.' In the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability — the monk directs and inclines it to knowledge and vision. He discerns: 'This body of mine is endowed with form, composed of the four primary elements, born from mother and father, nourished with rice and porridge, subject to inconstancy, rubbing, pressing, dissolution, and dispersion. And this consciousness of mine is supported here and bound up here.'

"This, too, great king, is a fruit of the contemplative life, visible here and now, more excellent than the previous ones and more sublime.
This fruit of contemplative life follows the Rupa jhanas. One might expect a description of arupa jhanas to follow, however not.

I personally find that I attain tranquility, pleasure, and joy from the heart (although I would never call this a completion of jhana). I find an outpouring of these things from different areas of the heart and I have identified eight of them - six individually and two in combination.

The simile quoted above neither points to the heart nor the eight jhanas, but I wonder what you out there make of this simile. Are the eight facets meant to represent the eight jhanas? Are the five threads perhaps indicators for the kasinas? Your views are all welcome.

:namaste:

chownah

Re: Eight Faceted Gem

Post by chownah » Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 am

the noble eightfold path?
chownah

justindesilva

Re: Eight Faceted Gem

Post by justindesilva » Tue May 22, 2018 3:22 am

chownah wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:00 am
the noble eightfold path?
chownah
Yes there is no question. It is the noble eightfold path ( arya ashtanga marga).