How can you apply chariot simile to a shadow?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

In the following video, (Sinhalese language) Ven Suddasana argues that it is not appropriate to divide something exist to prove that it does not exist.
We should be looking to the cause of the object rather than the components of the object.
Shadow is the result of the tree.
The same way tree is the result of the seed, earth water, and the light.
It is not appropriate to separate the tree into leaves, branches, bark and root etc prove that there is no tree exist.
He said that is Ucchedavada.
I think it is inappropriate to say there is five aggregate hence there is no being.

Last edited by SarathW on Thu May 17, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
SarathW

Re: How can you apply chariot simile to a shadow?

Post by SarathW »

See my previous post regarding chariot simile.
What is Nihilism according to Buddhist teaching?

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=27795&hilit=chariot
chownah

Post by chownah »

I think that the chariot simile is not meant to show that the chariot does not exist. I think that the chariot simile is meant to show that the chariot does not have a self.
I think if you want to discuss a simile it would be good if you posted it here or at least gave a link to it.
chownah
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

chownah wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:54 pm I think that the chariot simile is not meant to show that the chariot does not exist. I think that the chariot simile is meant to show that the chariot does not have a self.
I think if you want to discuss a simile it would be good if you posted it here or at least gave a link to it.
chownah
The analogy of the chariot sppears in vajira sutta (SN5.10) when bikkuni vajira encounters mara and then during thoe milinda prasna ( encounter of questioning on matter of self). In both instances it is shown when taken apart a chariot is no chariot and similarly when pancendriya is considered seperately there appears no self.
Therefore the analogy of chariot is to show that there is no self or anatta. ( Reading milinda prasna is extremely intetesting as a question and answer on darma by a monk nagasena and a greek king called Milinder).
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

no self
does bring up self as a reality that isn't there

whereas not self
doesn't bring up self as a reality that isn't there
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

justindesilva wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 5:52 pm
chownah wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:54 pm I think that the chariot simile is not meant to show that the chariot does not exist. I think that the chariot simile is meant to show that the chariot does not have a self.
chownah
The analogy of the chariot sppears in vajira sutta (SN5.10) when bikkuni vajira encounters mara and then during thoe milinda prasna ( encounter of questioning on matter of self). In both instances it is shown when taken apart a chariot is no chariot and similarly when pancendriya is considered seperately there appears no self.
Therefore the analogy of chariot is to show that there is no self or anatta. ( Reading milinda prasna is extremely intetesting as a question and answer on darma by a monk nagasena and a greek king called Milinder).
Here's some discussion of the Vajira Sutta:
viewtopic.php?t=23509
Link to Sutta Central:
https://suttacentral.net/sn5.10
https://suttacentral.net/mil3.1.1/

:heart:
Mike
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:22 am...it is not appropriate to divide something exist to prove that it does not exist.
I think that this statement is based on an overly-simplistic reading of the Vajira Sutta and the Milindapañha. The sutta and the Milindapañha don't say that these things "don't exist" (unless you only read part of the conversation between Milinda and Nāgasena).
When the parts are assembled
we use the word ‘chariot’.
So too, when the aggregates are present
‘sentient being’ is the convention we use.
https://suttacentral.net/sn5.10/en/sujato#sc5
And Milinda the king replied to Nāgasena, and said: ‘I have spoken no untruth, reverend Sir. It is on account of its having all these things—the pole, and the axle, the wheels, and the framework, the ropes, the yoke, the spokes, and the goad—that it comes under the generally understood term, the designation in common use, of “chariot.”’
https://suttacentral.net/mil3.1.1/en/tw_rhysdavids
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Thanks Mike.
How can you apply dependent origination to this conversation?
This is the argument of Ven Sudassana.
By the way, he is not talking about Malinda Pannha.
He is generally talking about the people who are trying to find the truth by parts of the body etc.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 pm Thanks Mike.
He is generally talking about the people who are trying to find the truth by parts of the body etc.
Sorry, but you will have to explain Ven Sudassana's ideas in much more detail, otherwise it is impossible to make any specific comments.

Mike
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 9:29 pm Thanks Mike.
Hi Sarath , when we follow Depend. Origin. we come across the conditions Vingnana paccaya nama rupa nama rupa paccaya salayatana.
Salayatana consists of pancendriya ( aggregates or kanda of eye nose ears tongue and tactile organs) . As explained in Milinda prasna,
All these if taken seperately cannot be called a being. But a being consists when all are put together just as The chariot is similarly the picture formed in our mind and just as we picture a person seeing as the 5 aggregates. In both cases nothing exists in reality showing that there is no self.
( further conversion on paticca samuppada is not made here as this hopefully answers the question).
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

we come across the conditions Vingnana paccaya nama rupa nama rupa paccaya salayatana.
Salayatana consists of pancendriya ( aggregates or kanda of eye nose ears tongue and tactile organs)
This is my exact point.
Chariot simile does not convey this fact.
What chariot simile doing is what scientist are doing today.
They are trying to dissect and say there is no being.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

SarathW wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:00 am
we come across the conditions Vingnana paccaya nama rupa nama rupa paccaya salayatana.
Salayatana consists of pancendriya ( aggregates or kanda of eye nose ears tongue and tactile organs)
This is my exact point.
Chariot simile does not convey this fact.
What chariot simile doing is what scientist are doing today.
They are trying to dissect and say there is no being.
We cannot dissect paticca samupada. It explains the process of existence as a dependancy. The process of existence in a non ending cycle with the 12 nidana undergoing this process . We can see that consciousness and apo tejo vayo patavi with akasa are the ingredients of this process. The DO explains the past present and the future which undergo momentary changes. As the past( karma with vingnana) changes to the present , there is no material ( rupa) of the past that is left. As the present moment experienced with pancendriya and moves forward creating karma the present becomes the past and the present becomes the future . Hence in this process no being remains as permanent. The process of paticca samuppada will cease only with nibbana.
We should be aware that a process cannot be dissected.