If mind = brain

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Post Reply
James Tan
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

If mind = brain

Post by James Tan » Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 pm

Greetings ,

If our so called mind the sixth sense media is brain , does this mean the consciousness that arises due to the interaction of the mind and its object is also matter ?
:reading:

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Bundokji » Mon May 14, 2018 4:29 pm

James Tan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 pm
Greetings ,

If our so called mind the sixth sense media is brain , does this mean the consciousness that arises due to the interaction of the mind and its object is also matter ?
If you call it matter, what would that change?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

Saengnapha
Posts: 1350
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Saengnapha » Mon May 14, 2018 4:49 pm

James Tan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 pm
Greetings ,

If our so called mind the sixth sense media is brain , does this mean the consciousness that arises due to the interaction of the mind and its object is also matter ?
It is matter, but as bundokji asked, what would that change?

User avatar
Dhammarakkhito
Posts: 1115
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:31 am
Contact:

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Dhammarakkhito » Mon May 14, 2018 4:53 pm

name in name and form is merely formal name
form in name and form is merely nominal form
there's the perception of form, not an ultimate, existing reality
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught

James Tan
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by James Tan » Mon May 14, 2018 4:57 pm

Nothing would change the fact of reality I guess , except our understanding that mind is non matter but something that is of conscious of itself which matter lack . Matter such as the stone , water , fire etc doesn't feel, think and aware etc.
:reading:

Saengnapha
Posts: 1350
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Saengnapha » Mon May 14, 2018 5:02 pm

James Tan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:57 pm
Nothing would change the fact of reality I guess , except our understanding that mind is non matter but something that is of conscious of itself which matter lack . Matter such as the stone , water , fire etc doesn't feel, think and aware etc.
Thought is matter. It is actually measurable. There is matter that you cannot see with the naked eye, but it is there.

justindesilva
Posts: 809
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:38 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by justindesilva » Mon May 14, 2018 5:13 pm

in buddhism mind is not only the brain. mind is described as citta , thoughts, cetasika and manasikara with vingnana .In living beingsc citta , thoughts and cetasika ( 52 different mind elements ) take place through the vingnana ( consciouness). The brain functions as a medium of rupa to co relate nama ( mind and consciousness). Budda has clearly revealed of realms where formless beings exists only with a mind.
The other instance when mind is not related to the brain is at patissndi citta , when mind takes off from the physical body at death to be born elsewhere. This mind is called cuti citta and does not function through a brain.

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Bundokji » Mon May 14, 2018 5:27 pm

James Tan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 4:57 pm
Nothing would change the fact of reality I guess , except our understanding that mind is non matter but something that is of conscious of itself which matter lack . Matter such as the stone , water , fire etc doesn't feel, think and aware etc.
Nothing can be conscious of itself. Can the eye see itself?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

James Tan
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by James Tan » Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Does the mind conscious of itself ?
:reading:

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Bundokji » Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm

James Tan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm
Does the mind conscious of itself ?
Is not the word "mind" a mere thought? or do you think is it something more than that?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

James Tan
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by James Tan » Mon May 14, 2018 6:00 pm

The OP is about mind . The sixth sense media .
:reading:

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Bundokji » Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm

does the mind exist if you are not thinking of it?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4403
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Sam Vara » Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm

Bundokji wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm
James Tan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm
Does the mind conscious of itself ?
Is not the word "mind" a mere thought? or do you think is it something more than that?
Is it devoid of any referent whatsoever, do you think? Like the phrase "King of France"?

Or is it just that it has no physical referent, like the nouns "hope" or "justice"?

User avatar
Bundokji
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:57 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Bundokji » Mon May 14, 2018 6:10 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm
Bundokji wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm
James Tan wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm
Does the mind conscious of itself ?
Is not the word "mind" a mere thought? or do you think is it something more than that?
Is it devoid of any referent whatsoever, do you think? Like the phrase "King of France"?

Or is it just that it has no physical referent, like the nouns "hope" or "justice"?
I think it has a meaning that depends on the context of which its being used, but i don't think it corresponds to anything in reality
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

James Tan
Posts: 953
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: If mind = brain

Post by James Tan » Mon May 14, 2018 6:13 pm

Bundokji wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm
does the mind exist if you are not thinking of it?
If the mind is brain and I am not thinking , the brain still exist .
:reading:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], JamesTheGiant, paul, SarathW, TRobinson465 and 105 guests