If mind = brain

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sentinel

If mind = brain

Post by sentinel »

Greetings ,

If our so called mind the sixth sense media is brain , does this mean the consciousness that arises due to the interaction of the mind and its object is also matter ?
You always gain by giving
Bundokji

Re: If mind = brain

Post by Bundokji »

James Tan wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 pm Greetings ,

If our so called mind the sixth sense media is brain , does this mean the consciousness that arises due to the interaction of the mind and its object is also matter ?
If you call it matter, what would that change?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

James Tan wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:03 pm Greetings ,

It is matter, but as bundokji asked, what would that change?
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

name in name and form is merely formal name
form in name and form is merely nominal form
there's the perception of form, not an ultimate, existing reality
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Nothing would change the fact of reality I guess , except our understanding that mind is non matter but something that is of conscious of itself which matter lack . Matter such as the stone , water , fire etc doesn't feel, think and aware etc.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

James Tan wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:57 pm Nothing would change the fact of reality I guess , except our understanding that mind is non matter but something that is of conscious of itself which matter lack . Matter such as the stone , water , fire etc doesn't feel, think and aware etc.
Thought is matter. It is actually measurable. There is matter that you cannot see with the naked eye, but it is there.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

in buddhism mind is not only the brain. mind is described as citta , thoughts, cetasika and manasikara with vingnana .In living beingsc citta , thoughts and cetasika ( 52 different mind elements ) take place through the vingnana ( consciouness). The brain functions as a medium of rupa to co relate nama ( mind and consciousness). Budda has clearly revealed of realms where formless beings exists only with a mind.
The other instance when mind is not related to the brain is at patissndi citta , when mind takes off from the physical body at death to be born elsewhere. This mind is called cuti citta and does not function through a brain.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

James Tan wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 4:57 pm Nothing would change the fact of reality I guess , except our understanding that mind is non matter but something that is of conscious of itself which matter lack . Matter such as the stone , water , fire etc doesn't feel, think and aware etc.
Nothing can be conscious of itself. Can the eye see itself?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Does the mind conscious of itself ?
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

James Tan wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm Does the mind conscious of itself ?
Is not the word "mind" a mere thought? or do you think is it something more than that?

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

The OP is about mind . The sixth sense media .
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

does the mind exist if you are not thinking of it?

Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Bundokji wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm
Is not the word "mind" a mere thought? or do you think is it something more than that?
Is it devoid of any referent whatsoever, do you think? Like the phrase "King of France"?

Or is it just that it has no physical referent, like the nouns "hope" or "justice"?
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:06 pm
Bundokji wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 5:51 pm
Is it devoid of any referent whatsoever, do you think? Like the phrase "King of France"?

Or is it just that it has no physical referent, like the nouns "hope" or "justice"?
I think it has a meaning that depends on the context of which its being used, but i don't think it corresponds to anything in reality

sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Bundokji wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 6:03 pm does the mind exist if you are not thinking of it?
If the mind is brain and I am not thinking , the brain still exist .