Re: Vinnanam Anidassanam. General Theravada Version.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:42 amI've no idea what you are talking about but i edited it a bit.
The term 'nama-rupa' comes from Brahmanism, before the Buddha. It literally means 'naming-forms'. Buddha seemed to hijack the term & redefine it as: 'feeling, perception, intention, contact, attention and form composed of earth, wind, fire & water'. Therefore, in consciousness with feature, it is possible for 'naming-forms' to cease but not possible for 'feeling, perception, intention, contact, attention and form composed of earth, wind, fire & water' to cease. This might be why the Buddha said the four elements do not cease without remainder but only have no footing.
Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness. Whatever qualities there are in the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness — the perception of the dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, singleness of mind, contact, feeling, perception, intention, consciousness, desire, decision, persistence, mindfulness, equanimity, & attention — he ferreted them out one after another.
MN 111
:alien:
User1249x wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:17 pm
Nibbana Sutta:

I have heard that on one occasion Ven. Sariputta was staying near Rajagaha in the Bamboo Grove, the Squirrels' Feeding Sanctuary. There he said to the monks, "This Unbinding is pleasant, friends. This Unbinding is pleasant."

When this was said, Ven. Udayin said to Ven. Sariputta, "But what is the pleasure here, my friend, where there is nothing felt?"

"Just that is the pleasure here, my friend: where there is nothing felt.
Questionable translation, requiring examination.
Here a bhikkhu is an arahant, one whose taints are destroyed, the holy life fulfilled, who has done what had to be done, laid down the burden, attained the goal, destroyed the fetters of being, completely released through final knowledge. However, his five sense faculties remain unimpaired, by which he still experiences what is agreeable and disagreeable and feels pleasure and pain. It is the extinction of attachment, hate, and delusion in him that is called the Nibbana-element...

Iti 44
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Zom wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:57 amUpon arahant's death this Vinnanam anidassanam ceases, stops to exist
annihilation cannot be a worthy goal

nirvana is a worthy goal

hence nirvana cannot be annihilation
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

to seek annihilation is suicidal, madness

if anything this teaching is about refuge, sanity
Last edited by cappuccino on Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Coaching
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

DooDoot wrote:

The term 'nama-rupa' comes from Brahmanism, before the Buddha. It literally means 'naming-forms'. Buddha seemed to hijack the term & redefine it as: 'feeling, perception, intention, contact, attention and form composed of earth, wind, fire & water'. Therefore, in consciousness with feature, it is possible for 'naming-forms' to cease but not possible for 'feeling, perception, intention, contact, attention and form composed of earth, wind, fire & water' to cease. This might be why the Buddha said the four elements do not cease without remainder but only have no footing.

If you don't mind which literature in brahmanism stated namarupa meant naming forms ?
You always gain by giving
Zom

Post by Zom »

annihilation cannot be a worthy goal

nirvana is a worthy goal

hence nirvana cannot be annihilation

to seek annihilation is suicidal, madness
Don't worry. There is nothing valuable to keep - cravings, clingings and ignorance included 8-) So you can safely let go of everything.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Zom wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:32 pmyou can safely let go of everything.
annihilation isn't safe

I can let go, because it's not annihilation
Coaching
Zom

Post by Zom »

You will let go until you pick it up again in this case ) Craving is bad, get rid of it.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Zom wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:51 pm
You will let go until you pick it up again in this case ) Craving is bad, get rid of it.
It is upadana that is stopping to let go rather than craving( tanha).
Zom

Post by Zom »

Craving, clinging, ignorance, delusion, conceit... everything fits here .)
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Zom wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:16 pm Craving, clinging, ignorance, delusion, conceit... everything fits here .)
but it's not annihilation

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/