Does Buddhism needs marketing ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Bundokji

Re: Does Buddhism needs marketing ?

Post by Bundokji » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:20 am
Parodic accounts can be amusing, but the Buddha didn't teach niceness, but virtue. The difference should be clear from the record of what he said, but to help, here is Charles Murray's contribution:
Nice and good are different. Being nice involves immediate actions and immediate consequences—you give water to the thirsty and comfort to the afflicted right here, right now. Being good involves living in the world so that you contribute to the welfare of your fellow human beings. Sometimes the immediate and long-term consequences are consistent with being nice; sometimes they are in conflict.
Indeed!
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 pm

James Tan wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 am
Seems with or without religion more or less people knows how to do Dana (giving foods or donating moneys) but in different ways .
But Sila is not easy for many . Not to mention the higher learning , after ten twenty years in Buddhism many still unable to understand the basic principles or meaning of dhamma . Even to the extend that don't know what is three Gems and Refuge . ...
Perhaps, but there are many people I know at the various places I've mentioned who are actually quite knowledgeable when you take the time to talk with them. I would be wary of assuming that all they do is dana...

Anyway, my point was that one of the main problems of dhamma propagation I see in the West, amongst "converts", is the desire to go straight to the "higher learning" and skip the basics. I'm not convinced that that it is particularly effective in the long term.

:heart:
Mike

James Tan

Post by James Tan » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:17 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:41 pm
James Tan wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 am
Seems with or without religion more or less people knows how to do Dana (giving foods or donating moneys) but in different ways .
But Sila is not easy for many . Not to mention the higher learning , after ten twenty years in Buddhism many still unable to understand the basic principles or meaning of dhamma . Even to the extend that don't know what is three Gems and Refuge . ...
Perhaps, but there are many people I know at the various places I've mentioned who are actually quite knowledgeable when you take the time to talk with them. I would be wary of assuming that all they do is dana...

Anyway, my point was that one of the main problems of dhamma propagation I see in the West, amongst "converts", is the desire to go straight to the "higher learning" and skip the basics. I'm not convinced that that it is particularly effective in the long term.

:heart:
Mike
Agreed.
:reading:

seeker242

Post by seeker242 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:23 pm

James Tan wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:56 pm
Greetings ,

Buddhism seems to be reserved for the Elite ?!
The Buddha ordained untouchables. That's pretty much the opposite of elite. :smile:

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:26 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:08 pm
most of the would-be promoters and would-be recipients are focussed on quite advanced ideas (noble truths, meditation etc), rather than the more basic issues such as how to build a community of like-minded people, how to build their basic practice of dana and sila, and so on.
I also think that starting with basics is the way to go. I think that a good approach might be teaching basic nutrition and physical exercise in form of bodyweight exercises, yoga and good posture along with basic focus on the breath for calm.
mikenz66 wrote:
I see in the West, amongst "converts", is the desire to go straight to the "higher learning" and skip the basics.
I am also inclined to think that a certain foundation is needed, otherwise a person is not even intellectually equipped to avoid developing views.

I am personally very found of the discipline of general semantics because i think it has to do with sanity and logic.

So i think for basics it would make sense to teach basic life-style hacks and common sense alongside with the most basic mindfulness of breathing for preliminary training.

Also communal harmony and strategies for getting along with people is a very nice foundation as well.

binocular

Post by binocular » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:36 pm

mikenz66 wrote:
I think there's a reason for this. Skipping to the "higher learning" means avoiding merit making, generosity, and basic respectful dealings with the monastics and lay practitioners. Avoiding those can make the whole endeavor into Buddhism seem safer and allows for a looser commitment. This safety and looseness of committment are important when endeavoring into a religion within a social environment that is hostile to that religion.
Every person we save is one less zombie to fight. -- World War Z

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:08 pm

I think most do not feel the urgency to practice in general. I am still trying to wrap my head around the fact that so few members of the forum meditate. Probably just enjoying life i guess.

Digity

Post by Digity » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:21 pm

The temple I go to usually has five or less people showing up to weekly events like meditation, study, etc. Some of these events barely happen anymore due to lack of attendance. It's pretty discouraging when you go there to meditate and wonder if you're the only one who will show up. That hasn't happen yet, but it's been close. In such a scenario should teachers change the way they're teaching to maybe make it more palatable to Westerners? I'm conflicted by this question, but it doesn't feel like it's clicking with people when they show up a few times and you never see them again.

There is another temple that's more popular and they seem to be more involved with the community, but I don't attend there as much, because it's farther away. I only go maybe once a month for day long retreats. As Mike mentioned, I think it's more popular because its heavy involvement with the community and organizations such as police, etc.

I get sort of depressed about my practice at times, due to the fact that Buddhism doesn't fit well into a Western culture. I think Western society is backwards and so I wouldn't want Buddhism to become backwards to fit into it, but the same time I don't know how they can co-exist better. Despite all these struggles and issues I still continue with the practice, because deep down I believe it's correct.

Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito » Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:49 am

Saengnapha wrote:
Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:14 am
Buddhism is its own marketing. It's built in to it. Why else would there be any structure to it as a philosophy or institution?
:goodpost: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31304
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught