Why is brahma vihara is important in Buddhism ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sentinel

Why is brahma vihara is important in Buddhism ?

Post by sentinel »

Greetings ,

As it seems , brahma vihara practice is not directly associated with Buddha's dependent origination teaching or the core teaching. But , why it's important to practise it ? Does the practice of it brings one closer to liberation ?

:namaste:
You always gain by giving
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Why is brahma vihara is important in Buddhism ?

Post by Sam Vara »

James Tan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:38 am Greetings ,

As it seems , brahma vihara practice is not directly associated with Buddha's dependent origination teaching or the core teaching. But , why it's important to practise it ? Does the practice of it brings one closer to liberation ?

:namaste:
It may not be explicitly linked with dependent origination, but one might want to reflect upon what type of thoughts and actions are likely to arise as a result of loving kindness, or with loving kindness as a support.
binocular

Post by binocular »

I think practicing the brahmaviharas helps one to relate to others in a wholesome manner, so that one can significantly reduce the suffering due to unwholesome interactions with others.

For many people, the suffering that is due to unwholesome interactions with others is a major part of their suffering. So to do away with that seems like a major improvement.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

It is the most important aspect for keeping one's spirit alive and bright for the moving forward in a steady pace on the path, and especially when the going get's tough
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

binocular wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:57 am I think practicing the brahmaviharas helps one to relate to others in a wholesome manner, so that one can significantly reduce the suffering due to unwholesome interactions with others.

For many people, the suffering that is due to unwholesome interactions with others is a major part of their suffering. So to do away with that seems like a major improvement.
Do you think in reality being kind to others but the other party treat us as fool and hostile , how is it possible to reduce our suffering or even helps reducing their suffering ?
binocular

Post by binocular »

James Tan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 pmDo you think in reality being kind to others but the other party treat us as fool and hostile , how is it possible to reduce our suffering or even helps reducing their suffering ?
There are four brahmaviharas, not just one. Equanimity, a reflection on kamma, is what helps one to keep a distance to foolish and abusive people (and by keeping distance, one doesn't create new troubles for oneself or others; or at least creates much less trouble).
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

binocular wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:33 pm
James Tan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:25 pmDo you think in reality being kind to others but the other party treat us as fool and hostile , how is it possible to reduce our suffering or even helps reducing their suffering ?
There are four brahmaviharas, not just one. Equanimity, a reflection on kamma, is what helps one to keep a distance to foolish and abusive people (and by keeping distance, one doesn't create new troubles for oneself or others; or at least creates much less trouble).
Yes , that's what I thought so. However , it seems rather difficult to be dissociate from people such as in work place . And our close relatives .
befriend

Post by befriend »

I was in a car sitting next to someone who was in a tired grumpy mood I started to mentally recite the metta sutta and after a few minutes I could sense his spirits lift I kept going for the whole car ride it made me feel better towards him and also made him happy.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

I really like Brahmavihara practice.

it calms my mind, my energies stay in harmony and this is very pleasurable.

we know how a simple thought is important to the kamma's intention. then we can see the powerful effects of the practice of the Brahmavihara.

and the Buddha speaks of the Antidote for The Hindrance of Ill Will (vyapada)
The antidote to the hindrance of ill will (vyapada) is meditation on loving kindness (metta).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_hindrances
the effect of this practice is impressive. for example: I'm a bit angry at someone and after I practice loving kindness I do not feel that anger anymore. I'm amazed, ours I was feeling angry, but now I do not feel any more.

and these are just some effects that I can perceive

https://suttacentral.net/iti22/en/ireland

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Brahma vihara is called sublime stTes of mind.
Brahma here means divine.
Out of wholesome ( beautiful or sobana) states of mind mudita and karuna are also called limitless states.
The four sublime states ( brahma vihara) are also
metta ,, karuna, mudita, upekka.
metta : loving kindness ( as a mother loves her child)
karuna: compassion ( feeling of well being as a mother feels for her sick child)
mudita : The joy of feeling with loving kindness and compassion.
upekka: the balanced feeling of mind felt with metta and katuna. ( balanced feeling in emotions of profit, non profit, fame, defame, well being and its opposite (ayaso & yasoca, health and sickness or stress).
These states of mind can be developed by metta bhavans ( by attaining a samadhi with samatha made)
One who attains brahma vihara or sublime states of mind will always be blessed with wholesome states.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Does the practice of it brings one closer to liberation?
I would say that you practice Brahma Vihara when you are close to liberation.
The second limb of Noble Eightfold Path (Samma Sankappa) covers Brahma Vihara.
Without Brahma Vihara an Arahant (or any person in the path) can't live in this world.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
binocular

Post by binocular »

James Tan wrote: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:42 pmHowever , it seems rather difficult to be dissociate from people such as in work place . And our close relatives .
But what would be damaged if you had such distance (sometimes)?
Other than perhaps your self-image as an emotionally involved person?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!