Buddhist cosmology explained

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Idappaccayata

Buddhist cosmology explained

Post by Idappaccayata »

Here's a new video with ajahn punnadhammo and ajahn sona discussing Buddhist cosmology. There are also some great visual aids in the video.

A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
cappuccino

Re: Buddhist cosmology explained

Post by cappuccino »

Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

cappuccino wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:16 pm
Nice! I actually just started watching this too.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

Nagas and yakkas are believed to be clans of people who lived in Sri lanka probably with south Indian relationships in pre vijaya era. Yakkas and nagas are mentioned in mahavsmsa ( sri lankan history) and mahabaratha and some other historical indian literature. These yakkas and Nagas are represented by current traditional dancing of Sri lanka and India. These dances are linked by verses relating budda's arhat qualities and is used to cure patients of various sicknesses ( now not popular as of western medicine) .
A popular picture in sri lankan buddhist temples shows a cobra giving shelter to lord budda during a rain. And this cobra is believed to be a humsn king of a cobra clan.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

justindesilva wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:52 pmNagas and yakkas are believed to be clans of people who lived in Sri Lanka
No
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:55 pm
justindesilva wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:52 pmNagas and yakkas are believed to be clans of people who lived in Sri Lanka
No
When Vijaya landed in Sri lanka he met a royal from the then yakka clan and married her. They tigether were the people who started the sinhala nation. The mahavamsa , book of sri lanka, notes this history, available in black and white. In the same manner the naga tribes are also referred to books of history and may refer to naga clans of sri lanka ( wikipedia) on the internet. Naga vihara in north of sri lanka in Jaffna is believed to have haf links with naga tribes. Any body denying these facts have to disprove mahavamsa ( sri lankan history).
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Well, Tolkien's races are partial parts of humanity.

Therefore, I guess it may be the same in Buddhism.
justindesilva

Post by justindesilva »

cappuccino wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:31 pm Well, Tolkien's races are partial parts of humanity.

Therefore, I guess it may be the same in Buddhism.
I am not much aquanted with tolkien' s races unless it is not realistic. I would like to know if we are talking of reality or legend.
However the mahavamsa ( history of sri lanka) are written with real facts starting from King vijaya, about 2600 years. The veddas of sri lanka also have an sncestral link to yskkas as they generate from Kuveni, who really lived hisorically.
I am following this not for argument but to find out whether Tolkien's races have any link with yakkas and naga clans who had really existed in sri lanka.