Astral Projection

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
BlueLotus

Astral Projection

Post by BlueLotus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:53 pm

Has anyone here had an out of body experience, with or without conscious effort? I'm just looking to hear what the experience is like. I know there's a lot of resources out there but, I want to hear from someone here as well...

Pondera

Re: Astral Projection

Post by Pondera » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:23 am

There’s IMO a tendency, when people talk about OBE’s, to imagine that the astral body will leave the material body with a very lucid view of the material body. The reality is not as stark.

Anyone can have an OBE granted that they stop trying to actually leave their body. The OBE actually happens in the mind. The person may be sitting cross legged anticipating “space” - and their space chakra opens. If this happens a natural effect is that the astral body will float into space.

With eyes closed, the practitioner views “something” leaving the body through the top of the head. He sees his physical body becoming more and more distant. However this is viewed in the mind’s eye. You haven’t actually left your body.

For some people, the claim is that it is far more lucid. Like a near death experience. Personally I haven’t had one of these outrageously vivid OBE - but most every time I dwell on space I leave through the top of my head. From there I leave the atmosphere, the solar system, the galaxy, and then I arrive in a certain green-blue heaven.

It’s always the same journey for me. If I go beyond the green-blue heaven I come up against a wall of conscious beings (millions of them) attempting to exit the universe. So, for what it’s worth that is what I can tell you about OBE’s.

Your “space chakra” is above your “crown chakra”. It opens when one dwells on the outward manifestation of space. And then the OBE happens entirely in the mind’s eye. But don’t get me wrong - by the time you’ve “left” your body you will certainly have forgotten that you used to have one. Ie. the experience is genuine.

Good luck.

TamHanhHi

Re: Astral Projection

Post by TamHanhHi » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:39 pm

I've heard a number of teachers also caution about entering those experiences prematurely. Just like in the physical realm, there are dangers out there. I'd proceed carefully.
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38 :candle: | Blog at http://dhammareflections.wordpress.com