Dana

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DCM

Dana

Post by DCM » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:52 pm

Sorry for my ignorance regarding the Vinaya but I want ensure I do not insult any Monks. Can a Monk be asked and give the answer if they have any preference of books that they would like to read, with the idea to send some books out? Otherwise how would one know what to send? How does this apply then to things such as food or other items?

justindesilva

Re: Dana

Post by justindesilva » Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 pm

DCM wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:52 pm
Sorry for my ignorance regarding the Vinaya but I want ensure I do not insult any Monks. Can a Monk be asked and give the answer if they have any preference of books that they would like to read, with the idea to send some books out? Otherwise how would one know what to send? How does this apply then to things such as food or other items?
In giving dana the best results are achieved at first instance if the receiver is satisfied and happy and secondly by the satisfaction of the donor , that he has looked after the need. Thereby inquiring about the need of the monk is preferred rather than deciding what one should donate haphazardly . With the increase of diabetes among the sangha community ( sri lanka) the lay buddhists are careful in order to find the items of foods to be served at the dana ceremonies.

perkele

Post by perkele » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:35 pm

I don't know about specific rules now, but I think as far as I have heard, monks are not allowed to ask for many things directly, except when they are invited to do so, and, in case of an emergency, like starving, freezing, dehydrating, sickness: for food, water, shelter and medicine, i.e. the four requisites.

So a good approach might be to express clearly and unmistakably such an invitation to ask for certain things, such as: "May Bhante feel invited to ask me in case that any need in regard to XYZ may arise", so then they can do this without committing a fault.

But I might remember something incorrectly. So if any of the venerable monks here would see something to correct here, out of compassion, this would be welcome and appreciated.

:anjali:

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:31 am

perkele wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:35 pm
I don't know about specific rules now, but I think as far as I have heard, monks are not allowed to ask for many things directly, except when they are invited to do so, and, in case of an emergency, like starving, freezing, dehydrating, sickness: for food, water, shelter and medicine, i.e. the four requisites.

So a good approach might be to express clearly and unmistakably such an invitation to ask for certain things, such as: "May Bhante feel invited to ask me in case that any need in regard to XYZ may arise", so then they can do this without committing a fault.

But I might remember something incorrectly.
I’m neither venerable nor a monk but water is basically the only thing that monks can ask for from anybody at any time. Replace water with robes and you have the 4 requisites.
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."