How to address wrong view?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
binocular

Re: How to address wrong view?

Post by binocular »

DNS wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:28 pmYes, I agree and there are clear examples of people expressing wrong views, but that doesn't mean one should post exclusively in a belittling manner every time someone posts and constantly admonishing other posters. Then it just makes the person look arrogant (as if they know all the answers) and gives appearance of passive-aggressive attacks.
I don't take issue with that.
Secondly, if someone belittles others, then they are not practicing Right View to begin with, so there's no issue.
If they look arrogant in their admonishing of others, then that's for them to deal with.

I'm in favor of the "Let the kids sort it out for themselves, without the intervention of adults" approach. Meaning that I think people should look after themselves even in difficult situations, without relying on institutions such as elders or social rules to protect them. Because in reality, those institutions cannot protect a person, especially not in religious matters.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Hiheyhello

Post by Hiheyhello »

:alien:
Last edited by Hiheyhello on Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binocular

Post by binocular »

Hiheyhello wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:01 pmI think it's also good to remember that another person's wrong view is their problem. If you start to engage with them about it and that engagement goes sideways, it then also becomes your problem. Lol.
Well, yes. And I think letting these things play out, is the correct(ive) measure.
Take for example this entire thread where the OP got offended and left. No one attacked him personally but having his views challenged despite the fact that he never actually solicited feedback on them did not sit well and resulted in some sort of meltdown.

I don't agree with this interpretation of the OP's intentions. I think he even said somewhere things to the effect that we're not devoted to the Dhamma enough and that it's a waste for him to try to associate with us. I can hardly blame him. And I agree when he says that many people make trade with the Dhamma, not just in terms of money, but in terms of using the Dhamma in an effort to gain praise and status.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

How to address wrong view?
But you, O foolish man, have misrepresented us by what you personally have wrongly grasped. You have undermined your own future and have created much demerit. This, foolish man, will bring you much harm and suffering for a long time.
Alagaddupama Sutta
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.