Is it possible to learn true dhamma without Pali ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
DNS
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to learn true dhamma without Pali ?

Post by DNS »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:31 pm Chinese characters are logograms and cannot be correctly translated always
Here are some "epic fails"
Here are some names of real chinese restaurants here in Vegas:

First comes fat, then the dung....

I'm sure in Chinese it has a much better meaning.
Circle5

Post by Circle5 »

binocular wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:30 pm
James Tan wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:26 pmTherefore , I couldn't figure out the true meaning of sanna , that is If I only refer to English or Chinese only . I may get the wrong message .
And learning Pali doesn't really do away with this problem either. Hence one doesn't seem to have much choice but to study with a teacher, someone who actually has some expertise in the matter.
Why not translate it whoever you want ? Why not translate it in such a way that it fits your already established views, no matter how ridiculous the translation might end up, and simply refuse to address any kind of criticism you might receive ? I've seen a couple of gurus/teachers doing pretty good using this method.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

To be fair, David, you are pointing out a different problem from translation - cases where words from another language sound like English words (or vice versa). In some cases this can lead to embarrassing encounters when it sounds like one is swearing in the local language.

I fondly remember a business in Hong Kong called Wong Kee Construction. And I was devastated when I broke my Fu King Hammer (that is literally what it said in the handle...). :cry:

:heart:
Mike