Kamma determined birth ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Digity
Posts: 1385
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:13 am

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by Digity » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 am

Sam Vara wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:59 pm
cappuccino wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:42 pm
I wonder why you listen to a scholar and ignore the Buddha.
You're always listening to a scholar. The Buddha, apart from speaking very poor English, is unfortunately dead. We are always reliant upon a string of translators and interpreters.
That's the irony of the statement...without scholars would we even know the words of the Buddha?

User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by cappuccino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:56 am

Thank you scholars, yet I need not your opinion.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4604
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:25 am

cappuccino wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:56 am
Thank you scholars, yet I need not your opinion.
Whether an English word or phrase accurately and usefully translates a Pali word or phrase is an opinion. It's opinions all the way down, I'm afraid.

User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by cappuccino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:59 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:25 am
Whether an English word or phrase accurately and usefully translates a Pali word or phrase is an opinion. It's opinions all the way down, I'm afraid.
Not quite.

User avatar
TamHanhHi
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by TamHanhHi » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Polar Bear wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:12 am
In the same way, monks, few are the beings who, on passing away from the human realm, are reborn among human beings. Far more are the beings who, on passing away from the human realm, are reborn in hell.
“Therefore your duty is the contemplation, ‘This is stress… This is the origination of stress… This is the cessation of stress.’ Your duty is the contemplation, ‘This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.’”
This sutta just came to my mind, but looks like you already posted it. :goodpost:
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38 :candle: | Blog at http://dhammareflections.wordpress.com

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4604
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 pm

cappuccino wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:59 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:25 am
Whether an English word or phrase accurately and usefully translates a Pali word or phrase is an opinion. It's opinions all the way down, I'm afraid.
Not quite.
Do you have an opinion, or certain knowledge, of adhiccam idam?

User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by cappuccino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 pm
Do you have an opinion, or certain knowledge, of adhiccam idam?
I accept Buddha's certain knowledge.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4604
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:01 pm

cappuccino wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:58 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:23 pm
Do you have an opinion, or certain knowledge, of adhiccam idam?
I accept Buddha's certain knowledge.
And how do you know what he said?

User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by cappuccino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:01 pm
And how do you know what he said?
Word for word translation is one thing, second guessing is another.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4604
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:08 pm

cappuccino wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:03 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:01 pm
And how do you know what he said?
Word for word translation is one thing, second guessing is another.
That may be, but doesn't answer the question. How do you know what the Buddha said? If you accept his certain knowledge, how do you know what that knowledge is?

User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by cappuccino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:12 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:08 pm
How do you know what the Buddha said? If you accept his certain knowledge, how do you know what that knowledge is?
The translator wasn't accepting the teaching.

He provided a second guess.

I just accept it.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4604
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:16 pm

cappuccino wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:12 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:08 pm
How do you know what the Buddha said? If you accept his certain knowledge, how do you know what that knowledge is?
The translator wasn't accepting the teaching.

He provided a second guess.

I just accept it.
What do you accept it means?

User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by cappuccino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:18 pm

In other words, I have faith in the teaching, as it is.

User avatar
Sam Vara
Posts: 4604
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm
Location: Sussex, U.K.

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:30 pm

cappuccino wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:18 pm
In other words, I have faith in the teaching, as it is.
A faith in the fey, I think.

User avatar
cappuccino
Posts: 1656
Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:45 am

Re: Kamma determined birth ?

Post by cappuccino » Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:51 pm


Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DarrenM, Majestic-12 [Bot] and 95 guests