eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
James Tan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by James Tan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:57 am

Greetings ,

Does it mean violation of first precept if eating eggs which is hatchable ?

SarathW
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by SarathW » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:37 am

No.
But there is a Buddhist story to show how painful for the bird to lose its eggs.
I can't recall the Sutta.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

James Tan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by James Tan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:41 am

SarathW wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:37 am
No.
But there is a Buddhist story to show how painful for the bird to lose its eggs.
I can't recall the Sutta.
So , there is unwholesome kamma involve .

SarathW
Posts: 9997
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:49 am

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by SarathW » Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:43 am

So , there is unwholesome kamma involve .
I think it is not allowed monks to eat hatchable eggs.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

James Tan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by James Tan » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:38 am

SarathW wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:43 am
So , there is unwholesome kamma involve .
I think it is not allowed monks to eat hatchable eggs.
Is it in the vinaya ?

User avatar
TamHanhHi
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:28 pm
Contact:

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by TamHanhHi » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:16 pm

Well, in general monastics are allowed to eat meat (which includes eggs) so long as it's offered and not killed specifically for them. They aren't allowed to eat raw meat, so presumably the layperson serving the egg would have cooked it. (See "Staple foods" in Ajahn Thanissaro's Buddhist Monastic Code). Lay people, however, break the first precept when they butcher an animal, for themselves or for others.

In terms of hatchable eggs, I don't think the texts mention it specifically, but a human embryo is considered living from the moment of conception. If that applies to hatchable eggs, then, yes, cooking/eating a hatchable egg might break the first precept.

We can refer to Bhikkhu Bodhi's summary of what involves breaking the precept then decide for ourselves. Or consult a teacher :)
A complete act of killing constituting a full violation of the precept involves five factors: (1) a living being; (2) the perception of the living being as such; (3) the thought or volition of killing; (4) the appropriate effort; and (5) the actual death of the being as a result of the action.
"Just as a large banyan tree, on level ground where four roads meet, is a haven for the birds all around, even so a lay person of conviction is a haven for many people: monks, nuns, male lay followers, & female lay followers."AN 5.38 :candle: | Blog at http://dhammareflections.wordpress.com

chownah
Posts: 7497
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by chownah » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:34 am

In thailand many of us eat ant eggs. Does anyone here know of a way to tell if an ant egg is hatchable?
chownah

thepea
Posts: 870
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by thepea » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 am

James Tan wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:57 am
Greetings ,

Does it mean violation of first precept if eating eggs which is hatchable ?
Yes.

form
Posts: 677
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:23 am

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by form » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:01 am

chownah wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:34 am
In thailand many of us eat ant eggs. Does anyone here know of a way to tell if an ant egg is hatchable?
chownah
What about bacteria and virus?

User avatar
No_Mind
Posts: 1911
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: India

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by No_Mind » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:16 am

James Tan wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:57 am
Greetings ,

Does it mean violation of first precept if eating eggs which is hatchable ?
Eating fertilized egg constitutes killing.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

James Tan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by James Tan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:19 am

thepea wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:48 am
James Tan wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:57 am
Greetings ,

Does it mean violation of first precept if eating eggs which is hatchable ?
Yes.
Any sutta to support ?

James Tan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by James Tan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:20 am

No_Mind wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:16 am
James Tan wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:57 am
Greetings ,

Does it mean violation of first precept if eating eggs which is hatchable ?
Eating fertilized egg constitutes killing.

:namaste:
Would you mind refer sutta if any ?

User avatar
No_Mind
Posts: 1911
Joined: Fri May 23, 2014 4:12 pm
Location: India

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by No_Mind » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:25 am

James Tan wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:20 am
No_Mind wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:16 am
James Tan wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:57 am
Greetings ,

Does it mean violation of first precept if eating eggs which is hatchable ?
Eating fertilized egg constitutes killing.

:namaste:
Would you mind refer sutta if any ?
The First Precept. Fertilized egg is living being (though perhaps not yet conscious)

I consume unfertilized eggs for this reason.

:namaste:
I know one thing: that I know nothing

User avatar
pilgrim
Posts: 1533
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by pilgrim » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:32 am

James Tan wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:20 am
No_Mind wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:16 am
James Tan wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:57 am
Greetings ,

Does it mean violation of first precept if eating eggs which is hatchable ?
Eating fertilized egg constitutes killing.

:namaste:
Would you mind refer sutta if any ?
Mahanama sutta
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .kuma.html

"Mahanama, inasmuch as a lay follower abstains from destroying living beings; abstains from taking what is not given; abstains from sexual misconduct; abstains from lying; and abstains from wine, liquor and intoxicants that are causes for heedlessness; in that way, Mahanama, a lay follower is virtuous."

James Tan
Posts: 850
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:26 pm

Re: eating hatchable eggs constitute killing ?

Post by James Tan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:41 am

No_Mind wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:25 am
James Tan wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:20 am
No_Mind wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:16 am


Eating fertilized egg constitutes killing.

:namaste:
Would you mind refer sutta if any ?
The First Precept. Fertilized egg is living being (though perhaps not yet conscious)

I consume unfertilized eggs for this reason.

:namaste:
How to determine fertilized or unfertilized ?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bundokji and 31 guests