If you could ask the Buddha one question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
No_Mind

Re: If you could ask the Buddha one question

Post by No_Mind »

alan wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:28 amIs Kamma true?
Yes/no questions are not allowed
SarathW wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:48 am I have posted 8889 posts on Dhamma Wheel. Why I still can't be enlightened?
:cry: :computerproblem: :hug: :tantrum:
This one is rather easy. Because of the 8889 posts you are not enlightened. The debates and answers that came with most of them created a thicket of views in your mind.

If you want to be enlightened read Dhamma books, listen to Dhamma audio and do not discuss it in a forum .. discuss it in person if needed ..or if you have a knowledgeable friend here ask him by PM.

Do you not see those with advanced study of suttas like culaavuso and ancientbuddhism are not here anymore (and not any other forum too as far as I know).

Do you not see the Bhantes at times do not participate here (and other forums) for months?

As you may know there is a self proclaimed "arahant" who runs a forum. But he was not running one when he was meditating for hours and hours and hours .. he was doing that in seclusion and also reading up significant amounts of the Pali Canon. When he became an "arahant" he opened a forum.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

As you may know there is a self proclaimed "arahant"
Sorry, I do not know.
What is the forum?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

No mind : What would you ask Him ?

Yes mind : dear Lord Buddha , forget about the whole Pali Canon's things and the authenticity of the suttas and traditions ,
I supposed you can live forever here and give dhamma teachings endlessly for the welfare of all sentient beings ?
alan

Post by alan »

Why has this post been changed, and what the hell is the point of asking a question if you can not get a Yes or No answer?
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

alan wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:58 am Why has this post been changed, and what the hell is the point of asking a question if you can not get a Yes or No answer?
The yes/no precondition has not been changed. It was there in beginning. I might have corrected spelling error. Any fundamental changes would be by writing Edit Add

"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
alan

Post by alan »

Ok, then, I would ask why other teachers are wrong. Tell me everything wrong about them.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:28 am Do you not see those with advanced study of suttas like culaavuso and ancientbuddhism are not here anymore (and not any other forum too as far as I know).

Do you not see the Bhantes at times do not participate here (and other forums) for months?

As you may know there is a self proclaimed "arahant" who runs a forum. But he was not running one when he was meditating for hours and hours and hours .. he was doing that in seclusion and also reading up significant amounts of the Pali Canon. When he became an "arahant" he opened a forum.
Members here stop posting for intermittent periods of time for a variety of reasons:

1. Pastoral duties (monks and nuns)
2. Lack of internet access for various periods of time (lay and monastics)
3. IRL duties and responsibilities
4. Retreat times
5. Conflicting time with work schedules
6. And probably some other reasons, many do return from time to time

Some leave permanently and this can also be for a variety of reasons:

1. Some get too attached to the thicket-of-views and don't respond well when attempting to defend their positions, for example
2. Not the best temperament for discussing and debating contentious issues
3. Some get banned for being disruptive or for spamming, etc.
4. Some have passed away (I can think of at least 2 members who have passed away, unfortunately at young ages)
So a person who self-proclaims to be an arahant and opens a forum is an arahant? This is verified by mere self-proclamation?
I guess there sure are a lot of Western Buddhist arahants then, all male too. :lol:
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

DNS wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:55 am
So a person who self-proclaims to be an arahant and opens a forum is an arahant? This is verified by mere self-proclamation?
I guess there sure are a lot of Western Buddhist arahants then, all male too.
But he is a hard core meditation guy .. and supposedly at least a sakadgami (because of a post he holds in a lineage for which one has to be a sakadgami) .. you have heard of him of course but let us not use his name.

alan

Post by alan »

#7, They get frustrated by the lack of intelligent responses.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

alan wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 am #7, They get frustrated by the lack of intelligent responses.
Also:
#8 They switch traditions (there are some members who stop posting here and then post at DW Mahayana and vice versa)
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:02 am But he is a hard core meditation guy .. and supposedly at least a sakadgami (because of a post he holds in a lineage for which one has to be a sakadgami) .. you have heard of him of course but let us not use his name.
Which lineage is for only sakadagamis or higher?

I have heard of several people claiming to be arhants on the internet and in-person, a large proportion of claimants are Western Buddhists and male but as I said, mere claiming proves nothing.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

DNS wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:12 am
alan wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:06 am #7, They get frustrated by the lack of intelligent responses.
Also:
#8 They switch traditions (there are some members who stop posting here and then post at DW Mahayana and vice versa)
And to be honest some cannot keep up with Buddhism. I have a sticking point with Precept 1 (both Hinduism and Buddhism)

Some have similar problems .. and decide to be a humanist

No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

DNS wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:14 am
No_Mind wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:02 am But he is a hard core meditation guy .. and supposedly at least a sakadgami (because of a post he holds in a lineage for which one has to be a sakadgami) .. you have heard of him of course but let us not use his name.
Which lineage is for only sakadagamis or higher?

I have heard of several people claiming to be arhants on the internet and in-person, a large proportion of claimants are Western Buddhists and male but as I said, mere claiming proves nothing.
You misunderstood me .. he is a "certified" teacher of a lineage (certified by his teacher that is) .. and that lineage requires a teacher to be a sakadgami

It is in the internet that lineaged teacher in the Mahasi Sayadaw would have to be a sakadgami .. do not know if it is true or not

Last edited by No_Mind on Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

No_Mind wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:17 am You misunderstood me .. he is a "certified" teacher of a lineage (certified by his teacher that is) .. and that lineage requires a teacher to be a sakadgami
Which lineage is that?
ganegaar

Post by ganegaar »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:14 pm I'd ask "What's the very best teaching to suit me?" Because he can read minds he'd look at my mind and tell me the absolute perfect teaching to fit my mind and personality. And I'd get enlightened there and then!
:goodpost:

That is what I would ask as well!
Sīlepatiṭṭhāya naro sapañño, cittaṃ paññañca bhāvayaṃ;
Ātāpī nipako bhikkhu, so imaṃ vijaṭaye jaṭanti.