If you could ask the Buddha one question

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
justindesilva

Re: If you could ask the Buddha one question

Post by justindesilva »

one_awakening wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 am Does Dependent Origination operate over three lifetimes?
DO will operate as long as one exists in Kama loka or sensual worlds. If I remember correct , there are eleven sensual worlds ( realms),out of the total of 31 realms.
EmptyShadow

Post by EmptyShadow »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:28 am If you want to be enlightened read Dhamma books, listen to Dhamma audio and do not discuss it in a forum .. discuss it in person if needed ..or if you have a knowledgeable friend here ask him by PM.
You forgot the most important part, after you read or hear some dhamma you have to practice it.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

EmptyShadow wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 am
No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:28 am If you want to be enlightened read Dhamma books, listen to Dhamma audio and do not discuss it in a forum .. discuss it in person if needed ..or if you have a knowledgeable friend here ask him by PM.
You forgot the most important part, after you read or hear some dhamma you have to practice it.
That I took as given

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
LotusTara3

Post by LotusTara3 »

I would ask him, "Venerable Sir, if there is no self and Nirvana is attained shouldn't by interconnectedness of all beings, all of life would also reach Nirvana and samsara should cease for all at the moment of enlightenment of just one Buddha?" Then rebirth should not be able to exist no?
ganegaar

Post by ganegaar »

LotusTara3 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:38 pm I would ask him, "Venerable Sir, if there is no self and Nirvana is attained shouldn't by interconnectedness of all beings, all of life would also reach Nirvana and samsara should cease for all at the moment of enlightenment of just one Buddha?" Then rebirth should not be able to exist no?
Let me give an analogy. There are black holes in the universe, even super massive black holes. They become ever more powerful by absorbing surrounding matter. Then why not everything are consumed by them? simply because stars that are too far are not sucked in, they are too far!

A buddha is not a magician, but a teacher, who shows the path. Individuals them selves need to walk that path, there is effort needed. Those who posses the qualities required, would succeed, others are simply too far away!
When a samma sambuddha teaches, that will draw all near by to nibbana, but only those who are "near". Should stress though, buddha is only the teacher, attainment of nibbana is by "dhamma" - laws of nature.
Sīlepatiṭṭhāya naro sapañño, cittaṃ paññañca bhāvayaṃ;
Ātāpī nipako bhikkhu, so imaṃ vijaṭaye jaṭanti.
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

justindesilva wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:10 pm
one_awakening wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:43 am Does Dependent Origination operate over three lifetimes?
DO will operate as long as one exists in Kama loka or sensual worlds. If I remember correct , there are eleven sensual worlds ( realms),out of the total of 31 realms.
Hello:

Are you saying that DO will not operate in the fine-material, inmaterial and deprivation realms?.

Regards.
pyluyten

Post by pyluyten »

if Buddha was here, just in face of me, this would not help me in any way. i already know what to do.
i mean, do it or do not it's up to you.

[ note 1 - well ok obviously external world has an impact, eg if you dye right now because of an earthquake, but it does not change the principle ]
[ note 2 - i know some people disagree and sutta disagree with what i wrote. think by yourself and believe what you want. ]