Past life regression

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Meezer77

Past life regression

Post by Meezer77 »

Is there anything in it? Or is it just nonsensical quackery designed to exploit and profit from people who happen to believe in rebirth.
Virgo

Re: Past life regression

Post by Virgo »

Good question.

Kevin
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

I am a qualified hypnotherapist (amongst other things) and a number of years ago I asked my late Tibetan teacher about the practice of past life regression hypnotherapy. He said he wouldn't advise doing it because he said that its very unreliable and "people can make things up." ....meaning that people can imagine things that happened the past.

:anjali:
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Aloka wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:32 pm I am a qualified hypnotherapist (amongst other things) and a number of years ago I asked my late Tibetan teacher about the practice of past life regression hypnotherapy. He said he wouldn't advise doing it because he said that its very unreliable and "people can make things up." ....meaning that people can imagine things that happened the past.

He had an interesting opinion.

Kevin
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

Aloka wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:32 pm I am a qualified hypnotherapist (amongst other things) and a number of years ago I asked my late Tibetan teacher about the practice of past life regression hypnotherapy. He said he wouldn't advise doing it because he said that its very unreliable and "people can make things up." ....meaning that people can imagine things that happened the past.

That's what I think too. You hear people describing who they were and it sometimes sounds like a character from a period drama on tv.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I have a friend who is thinking of doing this. He has been having a lot of trouble dealing with the death of his relative, and he asked my opinion on it since he knows I am a Buddhist. I thought about it before answering, and even read a book on the subject, but I came to the opinion that If you aren't meditating or doing any kind of concentration practice, your mind is going to be all over the place during hypnosis, making it very unlikely, in my opinion, anything you come up with can be trusted or utilized. Its likely made up. There is also a significant Judeo-Christian overlap to a lot of this past life hypnotherapy stuff-- new agey, etc. In other words, there is a significant skewed lens through which the hypnotherapy is done. So I told him that he really should try to meditate and engage with his grief. To my great surprise and pleasure, he began a daily meditation practice (!).
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:58 pm I have a friend who is thinking of doing this. He has been having a lot of trouble dealing with the death of his relative, and he asked my opinion on it since he knows I am a Buddhist. I thought about it before answering, and even read a book on the subject, but I came to the opinion that If you aren't meditating or doing any kind of concentration practice, your mind is going to be all over the place during hypnosis, making it very unlikely, in my opinion, anything you come up with can be trusted or utilized. Its likely made up. There is also a significant Judeo-Christian overlap to a lot of this past life hypnotherapy stuff-- new agey, etc. In other words, there is a significant skewed lens through which the hypnotherapy is done. So I told him that he really should try to meditate and engage with his grief. To my great surprise and pleasure, he began a daily meditation practice (!).
Good for him! It was probably cheaper and more effective.