What is self ? What is soul ?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
sentinel

What is self ? What is soul ?

Post by sentinel »

Greetings to all ,

What does it mean , self and soul ?
When we said not self , is it similar to not soul ?
Can the translation of anatta be regarded as
Not self , No self , Not soul , No soul ?
Are they all same or different from each other ?

Thanks .
chownah

Re: What is self ? What is soul ?

Post by chownah »

"Soul" is one idea of what a permanent self could be.
chownah
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Well in terms of Buddhism self is somewhat like this projection on the wall

It seems to exists but does not .. it is coming together of the movie film strip, projector lens, screen and light that creates this illusion of something being there but nothing actual exists.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Both terms have such a wide range of definitions that people here on DW and elsewhere tend to talk past one another because they are very likely to be using very different conceptions. They are not simple concepts like "cup" or "table".

I'm sure there are many people who will be only too glad to provide you with their favourite definition of either or both these terms, but it probably makes more sense to ask the question "How is this term used in a particular defined context?"
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

If the word "soul" simply refers to an incorporeal component in living things that can continue after death, then Buddhism does not deny the existence of the soul. Instead, Buddhism denies the existence of a permanent entity that remains constant behind the changing corporeal and incorporeal components of a living being.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul#Buddhism
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

James Tan wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:22 am What does it mean , self and soul ?
A good question, but also a tricky one since there are different ideas about what is being negated by anatta.

Looking at how atman is described might help? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C4%80tman_(Hinduism)
Buddha save me from new-agers!
thepea

Post by thepea »

What is the immaterial part of soul include?
Is the immaterial permanent?
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Soul is a mystery, not denied in the scriptures,
it's only a mystery.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Sam Vara wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:19 pm Both terms have such a wide range of definitions that people here on DW and elsewhere tend to talk past one another because they are very likely to be using very different conceptions. They are not simple concepts like "cup" or "table".

I'm sure there are many people who will be only too glad to provide you with their favourite definition of either or both these terms, but it probably makes more sense to ask the question "How is this term used in a particular defined context?"
Form(feeling perception volition consciousness) is anatta , Form etc is not atta (self) ?

Does atta here refer to self/permanent entity/soul/essence/fundamental principle ?

Does anatta here refer to Not (self/permanent entity/soul/essence/fundamental principle) ?

Thanks .
Last edited by sentinel on Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Buddhism denies the existence of a permanent entity that remains constant behind the changing
corporeal and incorporeal components of a living being.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:44 pm Buddhism denies the existence of a permanent entity that remains constant behind the changing
corporeal and incorporeal components of a living being.
If you could refer me the sutta ?
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:28 pm
If the word "soul" simply refers to an incorporeal component in living things that can continue after death, then Buddhism does not deny the existence of the soul. Instead, Buddhism denies the existence of a permanent entity that remains constant behind the changing corporeal and incorporeal components of a living being.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul#Buddhism
I think soul/spirit is not materiality and associated with essence that continues from one life to another .
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

No_Mind wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:51 am Well in terms of Buddhism self is somewhat like this projection on the wall

It seems to exists but does not .. it is coming together of the movie film strip, projector lens, screen and light that creates this illusion of something being there but nothing actual exists.

:namaste:
Well , there is a background do you think not so ?
Perhaps we could take the whole of universes/multiverses is the totality of the aggregates , doesn't the empty space is the background ? But of course this is speaking in terms of materiality .
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

Ananda Sutta: To Ananda
(On Self, No Self, and Not-self)
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

cappuccino wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:10 pm Ananda Sutta: To Ananda
(On Self, No Self, and Not-self)
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Here the last part of Ananda sutta :

“If, Ānanda, when I was asked by the wanderer Vacchagotta, ‘Is there a self?’ I had answered, ‘There is a self,’ would this have been consistent on my part with the arising of the knowledge that ‘all phenomena are nonself’?”

“No, venerable sir.”

“And if, when I was asked by him, ‘Is there no self?’ I had answered, ‘There is no self,’ the wanderer Vacchagotta, already confused, would have fallen into even greater confusion, thinking, ‘It seems that the self I formerly had does not exist now.’”

The problem with this part is :

Why do you think that there was an inclination of the Buddha on making an Assumption on Vacchagotta that he was Incapable of Understanding his teachings ?
This doesn't really make sense , does it ?

Even everyone will ask this similar question !