Stream Entry

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
chownah

Re: Stream Entry

Post by chownah »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:02 am
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amWhen I quote a sutta that is pertinent to me
A questionable translation is not a "sutta". It seems you were only quoting your personal ideas & interpretation rather than a sutta.
Saengnapha wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:58 amwhy would I need 'your' interpretation of what the sutta means?
I do not recall offering any interpretation. I merely posted some unambiguous suttas that appear to clearly show the meaning of the word "mannati".
Other people's understanding of the suttas is just a personal idea and interpretation....
BUT....your understanding of the suttas is unambiguous and clear.......

delusion,
chownah
bodom

Post by bodom »

jasday wrote: How do I experience stream entry?

I want to know what it will take to attain stream entry. I enjoy the increasing benefits of happiness the path brings in this life, but I would be very disappointed to find that I fall backwards either in this life or after this life.
Please help.
I'm am very surprised to see all of these answers given but none that really directly answers your question.

The Buddha said that there are four factors for gaining Stream Entry:

1. Association with people of integrity is a factor for stream-entry.

2. Listening to the true Dhamma is a factor for stream-entry.

3. Appropriate attention is a factor for stream-entry.

4. Practice in accordance with the Dhamma is a factor for stream-entry.

— SN 55.5

How will I know when I've experienced stream entry?
There are also four qualities one will be endowed with after reaching stream entry:

1. "There is the case where the disciple of the noble ones is endowed with unwavering confidence in the Awakened One.

2. ...unwavering confidence in the Dhamma...

3. ...unwavering confidence in the Sangha...

4. He/she is endowed with virtues that are appealing to the noble ones: untorn, unbroken, unspotted, unsplattered, liberating, praised by the wise, untarnished, leading to concentration."

— AN 10.92

I highly recommend the study guide Into the Stream by Thanissaro Bhikkhu who goes into detail about about these lists above.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/stu ... tream.html

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

bodom wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:15 am
jasday wrote: How do I experience stream entry?

I want to know what it will take to attain stream entry. I enjoy the increasing benefits of happiness the path brings in this life, but I would be very disappointed to find that I fall backwards either in this life or after this life.
Please help.
I'm am very surprised to see all of these answers given but none that really directly answers your question.

The Buddha said that there are four factors for gaining Stream Entry:

1. Association with people of integrity is a factor for stream-entry.

2. Listening to the true Dhamma is a factor for stream-entry.

3. Appropriate attention is a factor for stream-entry.

4. Practice in accordance with the Dhamma is a factor for stream-entry.

— SN 55.5
i wanted to post it but figured it was not essential because we fulfilled the 1, 2 by answering and 3rd is good instruction for Sati, which i did not give because it is not easy in a few words, i told him to watch the videos and book and 4th he has to do himself.

Also lazy probably did not want to look for it. How i rationalized it, since you were surprised.
:anjali: