Convincing my family to stop selling insecticides, pesticides

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
Aloka

Re: Convincing my family to stop selling insecticides, pesticides

Post by Aloka » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:15 pm

i fear the kammic result would be even worst.Would it not be better that they do not know and continue selling rather then me telling them it is bad kamma and they continue to do so
While I believe that intentional actions can have consequences of one kind or another, I don't really believe in "punishment system" kamma stretching across different lifetimes. The Buddha also said that the precise results of kamma are unconjecturable:

https://suttacentral.net/en/an4.77

Why don't you just tell your parents that you think its wrong to kill other life forms and is there any way they'd consider not selling those products. If they're not Buddhists, I don't think there's much value in tellling them that they're going to have "bad kamma"!

Just my personal opinion of course, others may disagree.

Be well and happy,

Aloka :anjali:

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm

If you aren't in total control of the store, and don't have complete say in what is done, then I don't see what can be done other than voicing your opinion reasonably and clearing, but not persisting on it. This is mainly a concern of right livelihood in that selling poisons is not a trade that is recommended.

If it goes nowhere, then you can consider switching jobs if it bothers you enough.

James Tan

Post by James Tan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi there strive ,

Perhaps you can try suggest to them change to selling health products instead .
And share with them long term close contact with poisonous products could be harmful to ourself and others .

Regards .

Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:44 am

James Tan wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:45 pm
Hi there strive ,

Perhaps you can try suggest to them change to selling health products instead .
And share with them long term close contact with poisonous products could be harmful to ourself and others .

Regards .
James i like that idea, dont know how much they would like it though. Thanks for the response

Nwad

Post by Nwad » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:13 pm

If you are not vegan yourself it will be difficult to tell others not to kill/harm someone while you do it... :roll: