Buying alive fishes to leave them in the river.

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JC938

Buying alive fishes to leave them in the river.

Post by JC938 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:50 pm

Hello,

I use to buy alive fishes and leave them in a river near a temple where catching fish is not allowed.

But I heard and thought about it, they say if you buy 10 fishes, 10 extra which wouldn't have been eaten would die, because no matter how much I buy, the consumption remain the same, and the supply is always more than demand.

So, does this mean, I should not be helping fishes lives in this way?

Thanks.

Sam Vara

Re: Buying alive fishes to leave them in the river.

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm

It is always really difficult to work out how much "good" we are doing, in terms of the results and consequences of our actions. (For example, you might release ten fish into the river, and they might immediately get eaten by a bigger fish!) In these cases, it might be better to think about the merit that it makes, especially in terms of our intentions. If it makes you feel good, and increases your reverence for life and respect for the Buddha's teachings, then I would carry on doing it.

JC938

Post by JC938 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:13 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:01 pm
It is always really difficult to work out how much "good" we are doing, in terms of the results and consequences of our actions. (For example, you might release ten fish into the river, and they might immediately get eaten by a bigger fish!) In these cases, it might be better to think about the merit that it makes, especially in terms of our intentions. If it makes you feel good, and increases your reverence for life and respect for the Buddha's teachings, then I would carry on doing it.
Thanks.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:39 pm

I use to buy alive fishes and leave them in a river near a temple where catching fish is not allowed.
This will make another demand channel to the fishing industry and will increase the profit hence more fish will be caught.
Releasing captured animal is not solve the problem unless selling live anima make illegal.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Nwad

Post by Nwad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:14 am

Good and bad actions comes from delusion. In absolute statement.
In relative statement, if you want to save animals the best way os to be vegan : no meat, no leather, no whool, no honney, no milk. Doing like this you will save a lot of leaving beings. :redherring: :group:

JC938

Post by JC938 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:05 pm

Nwad wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:14 am
Good and bad actions comes from delusion. In absolute statement.
In relative statement, if you want to save animals the best way os to be vegan : no meat, no leather, no whool, no honney, no milk. Doing like this you will save a lot of leaving beings. :redherring: :group:
Thank you.

bodom

Post by bodom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 pm

For the Buddha, love and compassion were incomplete if they were not extended to all sentient beings. He said that if a monk found an animal in a trap and out of compassion set it free, he would not be guilty of theft, even if conventional opinion considered the animal to be the property of the hunter who had set the trap

(Vin.III,62)
Whether what your doing has any major impact on supply and demand doesn't matter. What its doing for your mind has an even greater impact.

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan