Repenting

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
thepea

Repenting

Post by thepea » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:38 am

thepea wrote:
I guarantee you my palace kicks gotama's ass

...What did that peasant have compared to me, a mud hut, stifling heat perhaps someone to fan him, did he have indoor plumbing? Probably some smelly hole to do his business or at best a bucket boy. Perhaps a polluted river to swim in to cool off.

Santa100 wrote:
I pity you for not knowing what you're saying and not seeing the horrific kammic retribution awaiting you. You have slandered the Buddha using the filthiest images and words. Repent now before it's too late. Please jot down today's date and time so you'll remember the horrible act you've done when kamma finally turns around and bite you. Remember this day: Friday 2018-02-09 6:28 pm.

As a path walker do you place importance on repenting or do you feel this is ritualistic behaviour?

santa100

Re: Repenting

Post by santa100 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:48 am

thepea wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:38 am
thepea wrote:

...What did that peasant have compared to me, a mud hut, stifling heat perhaps someone to fan him, did he have indoor plumbing? Probably some smelly hole to do his business or at best a bucket boy. Perhaps a polluted river to swim in to cool off.

Santa100 wrote:
I pity you for not knowing what you're saying and not seeing the horrific kammic retribution awaiting you. You have slandered the Buddha using the filthiest images and words. Repent now before it's too late. Please jot down today's date and time so you'll remember the horrible act you've done when kamma finally turns around and bite you. Remember this day: Friday 2018-02-09 6:28 pm.

As a path walker do you place importance on repenting or do you feel this is ritualistic behaviour?
It doesn't matter to label it repenting or ritualistic behaviour or what not, the fact is you have used exceedingly insulting language toward the Buddha on a Buddhist forum. The right thing to do, at the very least, is to apologize for the wrong thing you've said about the Buddha and the country of India.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:48 am

I think Santa is answering to an unfaithful or a non-Buddhist person in his own language.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:58 am

thepea wrote:
thepea wrote:

Hi The Pea

I did not find anything inappropriate in the context of your post. Your intention & message was clear to me.

Santa100 wrote:
Possibly, Santa100 can repent to Lord Yahweh D.N.S PhD.
These are the Dhamma Wheel Terms of Service. Violations of the Terms of Service

d. Unsubstantiated allegations against individuals or traditions - including psychoanalyzing other members, and predictions or threats of kammic retribution
:jumping:
I find repenting to myself &, when appropriate, to another, is beneficial & appropriate when I myself feel, in my heart, I have genuinely performed a hurtful & harmful action. In today's culture of political correctness, you can't spend your life repenting to over-sensitive people who are offended by the most trivial & trifling remark.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:08 am

The Buddha was born into a life of luxury by the standards of that time. You can't compare it to the quality and quantity of lifestyles today. The Buddha to be was not deprived by the standards of that time. Sociologists call it relative deprivation, for example, a person could technically feel 'deprived' living in a Mcmansion if the rest of the people in his neighborhood live in mansions, etc.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relative_deprivation

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:20 am

The sutta about Gotama's life of 'luxury' can be read, here: Sukhamala Sutta

Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 am

The pea.

Repent to yourself. Better to do so just in case you regret it later on.

No one needs to know. Do it for your own well being. Out of compassion to yourself.

Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:33 am

thepea wrote:
thepea wrote:

Santa100 wrote:

Look into your own heart to find the answer. One who feels no need to repent is no different then one who feels a need to repent. The one who knows how to walk the line between both is the one who truly understands the dhamma.

Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:36 am

Just so you know, the buddha asks devadata to repent for his actions out of compassion. If repentance was a hindrance to ones well being, then the buddha would have never asked.

As well, when a monk breaks a monastic code, he is to reveal that action to his fellow monastic brethren and make the commitment to stop that action. That code, the one that Buddha created, is a form of repentance which was created for the well being of his followers.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:55 am

Repentance is a personal matter, but could people please be reminded that threats of kammic retribution are a public matter, being contrary to the ToS of this site.

thepea

Post by thepea » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:34 am

santa100 wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:48 am
It doesn't matter to label it repenting or ritualistic behaviour or what not, the fact is you have used exceedingly insulting language toward the Buddha on a Buddhist forum. The right thing to do, at the very least, is to apologize for the wrong thing you've said about the Buddha and the country of India.
I think it’s pretty obvious that my intention was to impress the fact that with the modern advances today especially in western society that a modern home is way more luxurious than a princes palace 2500yrs ago.
As a professional home builder it’s my job to keep up with latest building practices and I can tell you that comfort levels are way more balanced today than 25yrs ago let alone 2500 yrs ago in home technology.
As my volition was purely to express this point in a colourful over the top thepea fashion, the kammic judges decision is no foul, thepeas kamma will remain pure and sweet.
I do not place any importance on repenting, unless the person knows themselves that their volition was impure.

thepea

Post by thepea » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 am

Strive4Karuna wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 am
The pea.

No one needs to know. Do it for your own well being. Out of compassion to yourself.
I’m very close with Buddha, we have no secrets. You could say friends. It’s cool 😎

Also I don’t think you can repent now in case of future repenting requirements.
Like if we die and facing judgement and Buddha says “hey thepea what about that peasant comment you made”. I can’t tell him oh I meant it but did a quicky repentance on the matter so you can’t hold that against me.

Strive4Karuna

Post by Strive4Karuna » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 am

thepea wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:46 am
Strive4Karuna wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:29 am
The pea.

I’m very close with Buddha, we have no secrets. You could say friends. It’s cool 😎

Also I don’t think you can repent now in case of future repenting requirements.
Like if we die and facing judgement and Buddha says “hey thepea what about that peasant comment you made”. I can’t tell him oh I meant it but did a quicky repentance on the matter so you can’t hold that against me.
Thepea. If you did not mean it is a non issue. I was not "there" when it happened so i took it as something you truly meant. You seem like a cool guy. Regards.

thepea

Post by thepea » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:37 am

No worries s4k.

2600htz

Post by 2600htz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:59 pm

Hello:

I disagree, i think modern luxury is being overestimated, and it doesn´t come close to the refinement experienced by the Buddha.

In today's world, even the richest man alive is awakened by the honks of cars, while reading the news on a tablet gets bombarded by ADs and tragedy, gets out to the street where he breaths smoke, is annoyed by paparazzis taking photographs of him, has a bad family, attends to university or school where he experiences social troubles,etc.

The Buddha had virtually only pleasant contacts. Every sight, every smell, every idea was pleasant.

Regards.