Beautiful and inspiring words about Nibbana

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
manas

Beautiful and inspiring words about Nibbana

Post by manas »

As a counterbalance to all the debates about Nibbana here on DW, I would like to post something beautiful and inspiring, from the Buddha himself. It's from the Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta: An Analysis of the Properties.
"'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Thus was it said. With reference to what was it said? 'I am' is a construing. 'I am this' is a construing. 'I shall be' is a construing. 'I shall not be'... 'I shall be possessed of form'... 'I shall not be possessed of form'... 'I shall be percipient'... 'I shall not be percipient'... 'I shall be neither percipient nor non-percipient' is a construing. Construing is a disease, construing is a cancer, construing is an arrow. By going beyond all construing, he is said to be a sage at peace.

"Furthermore, a sage at peace is not born, does not age, does not die, is unagitated, and is free from longing. He has nothing whereby he would be born. Not being born, will he age? Not aging, will he die? Not dying, will he be agitated? Not being agitated, for what will he long? It was in reference to this that it was said, 'He has been stilled where the currents of construing do not flow. And when the currents of construing do not flow, he is said to be a sage at peace.' Now, monk, you should remember this, my brief analysis of the six properties."
Such beautiful words. Even thousands of years later, and translated into another language. Now, these words make me want to practice the Dhamma for the cessation of all stress.

I'm going to avoid the online debates, and just listen to the Blessed One's words on the matter. Anyone else, feel free to also post any quotes regarding Nibbana that bring inspiration and the will to practice for it, if you wish.

:anjali:

If this topic should be somewhere else, mods please feel free to move it. Maybe, as a page of quotes rather than arguments or discussion, it would be better suited elsewhere? Or maybe not.
To the Buddha-refuge i go; to the Dhamma-refuge i go; to the Sangha-refuge i go.
Lucas Oliveira

Re: Beautiful and inspiring words about Nibbana

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Verse 178. Being Stream-Winner Is Supreme

Than o’er the earth sole sovereignty,
than going to heaven,
than lordship over all the worlds:
better the Steam-winner’s fruit.

Explanation: The achievement of the stream-winner is the primary stage in the attainment of spiritual success. The state is greater than being a universal monarch, or reaching heaven.

http://www.buddhanet.net/dhammapada/d_world.htm

I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
equilibrium

Post by equilibrium »

Dhp VIII:
You can beat a thousand men in a thousand battles, but the true conqueror is the person who conquers himself.
Iti 43:
"The escape from that is:

calm, permanent,
beyond inference,
unborn, unproduced,
the sorrowless, stainless state,
the cessation of stressful qualities,
the stilling of fabrications,
bliss"
Last edited by equilibrium on Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

manas wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:58 pm
If this topic should be somewhere else, mods please feel free to move it. Maybe, as a page of quotes rather than arguments or discussion, it would be better suited elsewhere? Or maybe not.
Looks fine here, at least for the moment! Maybe someone else might suggest moving it later. But thanks for such a beautiful contribution and the spirit in which it was offered.
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

"Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?

"The eye is burning, forms are burning, eye-consciousness is burning, eye-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with eye-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.

"The ear is burning, sounds are burning...

"The nose is burning, odors are burning...

"The tongue is burning, flavors are burning...

"The body is burning, tangibles are burning...

"The mind is burning, ideas are burning, mind-consciousness is burning, mind-contact is burning, also whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant that arises with mind-contact for its indispensable condition, that too is burning. Burning with what? Burning with the fire of lust, with the fire of hate, with the fire of delusion. I say it is burning with birth, aging and death, with sorrows, with lamentations, with pains, with griefs, with despairs.

"Bhikkhus, when a noble follower who has heard (the truth) sees thus, he finds estrangement in the eye, finds estrangement in forms, finds estrangement in eye-consciousness, finds estrangement in eye-contact, and whatever is felt as pleasant or painful or neither-painful- nor-pleasant that arises with eye-contact for its indispensable condition, in that too he finds estrangement.

"When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated. He understands: 'Birth is exhausted, the holy life has been lived out, what can be done is done, of this there is no more beyond.'"

That is what the Blessed One said. The bhikkhus were glad, and they approved his words.

Now during his utterance, the hearts of those thousand bhikkhus were liberated from taints through clinging no more.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

1092. “For those standing in the midst of the stream,”
(said the Venerable Kappa),
“when a perilous flood has arisen,
for those oppressed by old age and death,
declare an island, dear sir.
Explain to me the island
so this might occur no more.” (1) [212]
1093. “For those standing in the midst of the stream,
(Kappa,” said the Blessed One),
“when a perilous flood has arisen,
for those oppressed by old age and death,
let me declare an island to you. (2)
1094. “Owning nothing, taking nothing:
this is the island with nothing further.
I call this ‘nibbāna,’
the extinction of old age and death. (3)
1095. “Having understood this, those mindful ones
are quenched in this very life.
They do not come under Māra’s control,
nor are they Māra’s footmen.” (4)

- Snp 5.11 Translation by Bhikkhu Bodhi
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

The Fish and the Turtle (Is Nibbana Nothingness?)
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=31162

:namaste:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
bodom

Post by bodom »

And for a disciple thus freed, in whose heart dwells peace, there is nothing to be added to what has been done, and naught more remains for him to do. Just as a rock of one solid mass remains unshaken by the wind, even so neither forms, nor sounds, nor odors, nor tastes, nor contacts of any kind, neither the desired nor the undesired, can cause such a one to waver. Steadfast is his mind, gained is deliverance.

A. VI. 55
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

"There is that dimension where there is neither earth, nor water, nor fire, nor wind; neither dimension of the infinitude of space, nor dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, nor dimension of nothingness, nor dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; neither this world, nor the next world, nor sun, nor moon. And there, I say, there is neither coming, nor going, nor stasis; neither passing away nor arising: without stance, without foundation, without support [mental object]. This, just this, is the end of stress."

— Ud 8.1
"There is, monks, an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, emancipation from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned."

— Ud 8.3
Where water, earth, fire, & wind have no footing:
There the stars do not shine,
the sun is not visible,
the moon does not appear,
darkness is not found.
And when a sage,
a brahman through sagacity,
has known [this] for himself,
then from form & formless,
from bliss & pain,
he is freed.

— Ud 1.10
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

"Then, Bāhiya, you should train yourself thus: In reference to the seen, there will be only the seen. In reference to the heard, only the heard. In reference to the sensed, only the sensed. In reference to the cognized, only the cognized. That is how you should train yourself. When for you there will be only the seen in reference to the seen, only the heard in reference to the heard, only the sensed in reference to the sensed, only the cognized in reference to the cognized, then, Bāhiya, there is no you in connection with that. When there is no you in connection with that, there is no you there. When there is no you there, you are neither here nor yonder nor between the two. This, just this, is the end of stress."

Ud 1.10

- BB
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

1086. “The dispelling of desire and lust, Hemaka,
for things here seen, heard, sensed, and cognized—
for whatever has a pleasing nature—
is the state of nibbāna, the imperishable. (3)
1087. “Having understood this, those mindful ones
are quenched in this very life.
And always peaceful, they have crossed over
attachment to the world.” (4)

-Snp 5.8 Translation by Bhikkhu Bodhi
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

my signature
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

Everywhere
the sage
independent
holds nothing dear or undear.

In him
lamentation & selfishness,
like water on a white lotus,
do not adhere.

As a water bead on a lotus leaf,
as water on a red lily,
does not adhere,

so the sage
does not adhere
to the seen, the heard, or the sensed;

for, cleansed,
he doesn't construe
in connection
with the seen, the heard, or the sensed.

In no other way
does he wish for purity,
for he neither takes on passion
nor puts it away.[2]

- Snp 4.6

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

“Happy indeed are the arahants!
No craving can be found in them.
Cut off is the conceit ‘I am,’
Burst asunder is delusion’s net.

They have reached the unstirred state,
Limpid are their minds;
They are unsullied in the world—
The holy ones, without taints.

“Having fully understood the five aggregates,
Ranging in the seven good qualities,
Those praiseworthy superior men
Are the Buddha’s bosom sons.

“Endowed with the seven gems,
Trained in the threefold training,
Those great heroes wander about
With fear and trembling abandoned.

“Endowed with the ten factors,
Those great nagas, concentrated,
Are the best beings in the world:
No craving can be found in them.

“The adepts’ knowledge has arisen in them:
‘This body is the last I bear.’
In regard to the core of the holy life
They no longer depend on others.

They are released from renewed existence.
Having reached the stage of the tamed,
They are the victors in the world.

“Above, across, and below,
Delight is no more found in them.
They boldly sound their lion’s roar:
‘The enlightened are supreme in the world.’”

- SN 22.76

Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

"And this, monks, is the noble truth of the cessation of stress: the remainderless fading & cessation, renunciation, relinquishment, release, & letting go of that very craving...

"Vision arose, insight arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before: 'This is the noble truth of the cessation of stress'... 'This noble truth of the cessation of stress is to be directly experienced'... 'This noble truth of the cessation of stress has been directly experienced.'..

Knowledge & vision arose in me: 'Unprovoked is my release. This is the last birth. There is now no further becoming.'"

- Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta