Gautama a.k.a. Buddha abandoning his wife and child - was it wrong?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
dylanj

Re: Gautama a.k.a. Buddha abandoning his wife and child - was it wrong?

Post by dylanj »

Saṃyutta Nikāya 4

Connected Discourses with Mara
8. He Delights

Thus have I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was dwelling at Savatthi in Jeta’s Grove, Anathapiṇḍika’s Park.

Then Mara the Evil One approached the Blessed One and recited this verse in the presence of the Blessed One:

“One who has sons delights in sons,
One with cattle delights in cattle.

Acquisitions truly are a man’s delight;
Without acquisitions one does not delight.”

The Blessed One:

“One who has sons sorrows over sons,
One with cattle sorrows over cattle.
Acquisitions truly are a man’s sorrow;
Without acquisitions one does not sorrow.”

Then Mara the Evil One … disappeared right there.
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

Udāna 1.8

Saṅgāmajīsuttaṃ 8
The Discourse about Saṅgāmajī

Thus I heard: At one time the Gracious One was dwelling near Sāvatthī, in Jeta’s Wood, at Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery. Then at that time venerable Saṅgāmajī had arrived at Sāvatthī to see the Gracious One.

Venerable Saṅgāmajī’s former wife heard: “Master Saṅgāmajī it seems has arrived at Sāvatthī”, and taking her little boy she went to Jeta’s Wood.

Then at that time venerable Saṅgāmajī was dwelling for the day sat at the root of a certain tree. Then venerable Saṅgāmajī’s former wife went to venerable Saṅgāmajī, and after going, she said to venerable Saṅgāmajī: “I have a little son, ascetic, you must take care of me.”

After that was said, venerable Saṅgāmajī was silent.

For a second time venerable Saṅgāmajī’s former wife said to venerable Saṅgāmajī: “I have a little son, ascetic, you must take care of me.”

For a second time venerable Saṅgāmajī was silent.

For a third time venerable Saṅgāmajī’s former wife said to venerable Saṅgāmajī: “I have a little son, ascetic, you must take care of me.”

For a third time venerable Saṅgāmajī was silent.

Then venerable Saṅgāmajī’s former wife, having put the boy down in front of venerable Saṅgāmajī, went away, saying: “This is your son, ascetic, you must take care of him.”

But venerable Saṅgāmajī did not look at the boy, nor did he speak to him.

Then venerable Saṅgāmajī’s former wife having gone not far away, looking round saw that venerable Saṅgāmajī was neither looking at the boy, nor was he speaking to him. Having seen that this occured to her: “This ascetic does not even have need of a son.” Therefore, after turning back and taking the boy, she went away.

The Gracious One saw with the divine-eye which is purified, and surpasses that of normal men, that venerable Saṅgāmajī’s former wife had such bad manners. Then the Gracious One, having understood the significance of it, on that occasion uttered this exalted utterance:

“In her coming he does not rejoice, in her leaving he does not grieve,
Saṅgāmajī ‘Victorious in Battle’, free from the shackle: him I call a brāhmaṇa.”
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

"Monks, these four types of individuals are to be found existing in the world. Which four? The one who practices neither for his/her own benefit nor for that of others. The one who practices for the benefit of others but not for his/her own. The one who practices for his/her own benefit but not for that of others. The one who practices for his/her own benefit and for that of others.

"Just as a firebrand from a funeral pyre — burning at both ends, covered with excrement in the middle — is used as fuel neither in a village nor in the wilderness: I tell you that this is a simile for the individual who practices neither for his/her own benefit nor for that of others. The individual who practices for the benefit of others but not for his/her own is the higher & more refined of these two. The individual who practices for his/her own benefit but not for that of others is the highest & most refined of these three. The individual who practices for his/her own benefit and for that of others is, of these four, the foremost, the chief, the most outstanding, the highest, & supreme. Just as from a cow comes milk; from milk, curds; from curds, butter; from butter, ghee; from ghee, the skimmings of ghee; and of these, the skimmings of ghee are reckoned the foremost — in the same way, of these four, the individual who practices for his/her own benefit and for that of others is the foremost, the chief, the most outstanding, the highest, & supreme.

"These are the four types of individuals to be found existing in the world."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

Then, Ānanda, the potter Ghaṭīkāra and the brahman youth Jotipāla, gladdened, roused, incited, delighted by the Lord Kassapa’s … talk on dhamma, having rejoiced in what the Lord Kassapa … had said, having given thanks and risen from their seats, greeting the Lord Kassapa … they departed keeping their right sides towards him.

Then, Ānanda, the brahman youth Jotipāla spoke thus to the potter Ghaṭīkāra: ‘How is it that you, dear Ghaṭīkāra, on hearing this dhamma, do not go forth from home into homelessness?’”

‘But, dear Jotipāla, do you not know that I look after my blind and ageing parents?’

https://suttacentral.net/en/mn81
"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

We need to remember that the life of the Siddhartha Bodhisatta was an example. The life it self helps to answer so many questions which arise in the follower. Him leaving his home, leaving his wife and baby behind was an act of renunciation.

Lets create a scenario in our minds thinking that the Siddhartha Bodhisatta did not marry and lived as a single man. Lets assume he left home whiles he was single.

Then those who are already married with children will question themselves "what would have happened if Prince Siddhartha was married? Does this mean that he would have just stayed with his wife instead of renunciation?"

But now that incident did happen these questions need not come into mind. It just shows that the quest for Enlightenment is the highest purpose of life even above the things that typical people value the most (such as one's spouse and children).

Please be aware that the commonly accepted version of the history is that Prince Siddhartha walked away without the consent of Princess Yasodara. But alternate version of the history say that the Prince Siddhartha did discuss about this with Princess Yasodara and they came to an agreement. That version of the history shows that Princess Yasodara was very understanding and was supportive to his decision. We do not have to be too attached to the idea that which version of the history is correct because well documented history with specific details is just less than 200 years old.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
thepea

Post by thepea »

In order for me to sit the long courses within Goenka tradition my wife must consent, if not I will be turned down.
Now I’m just picking away at my craving and aversion I’m not ready for a 12 day sitting of adhitthana with continuous awareness, absolutely crushing through cravings to arahantship.
But on these courses you do work with more refined states, I can’t imagine going for a month in silence if I knew I left my wife in a difficult situation with two kids to care for. I imagine it would be torturous and not very productive.
I can only go once a year now on retreat as the kids are at an age where they require a great deal of attention from both of us. If arahantship is in my future for this lifetime it will have to wait until the kids are older, and moved out, and my wife is healthy, and I’m ok with that.
I’ve done a great deal of introspection and life is much easier now it’s almost like dhamma works with your life situation you get out of it what you need and when you need it.
Mr gotama must have needed to meditate as a recluse and not merely wanted to. He may have wanted to stay and raise his son but needed to end suffering. I don’t think you can push off a spiritual calling or choose when it will call.
No_Mind

Post by No_Mind »

Dharmasherab wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 pm Please be aware that the commonly accepted version of the history is that Prince Siddhartha walked away without the consent of Princess Yasodara. But alternate version of the history say that the Prince Siddhartha did discuss about this with Princess Yasodara and they came to an agreement. That version of the history shows that Princess Yasodara was very understanding and was supportive to his decision. We do not have to be too attached to the idea that which version of the history is correct because well documented history with specific details is just less than 200 years old.
If I could go back to 2013 .. I wish I knew one fact about Buddhism back then

That there are alternative facts in Buddhism .. that there is no one voice, no single version.

:namaste:
"The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.”― Albert Camus
binocular

Post by binocular »

No_Mind wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 amthat there is no one voice, no single version.
Duh. Of course. What else?
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

Remember that the life of the Buddha was an example not like any other. Looking at the life of the Buddha helps to answer so many questions that might come to our mind when learning the Dhamma (the teaching).

Let's say that Prince Siddhartha left home before he got married and became a Buddha. A common question people will keep asking is "I am married, what would the Buddha say about renunciation if one is married with kids?". But now that the Buddha set the standard that all samsaric things which we value are insignificant compared to the pursuit of Nirvana, we don't even need to ask that question. Now those questions are not even brought up because what he did answers such questions to show that even our strongest attachments need to be abandoned - even the ones which are considered to be conventional by society's standards. His life was an example to demonstrate to us that the path to enlightenment starts with letting go.

Also if you look further into the life story of Buddha, his ex-wife Yasodara and son Rahula both ordained under him and both became enlightened to escape from Samsara for good. It just shows that whatever perils that happen in Samsara they are all insubstantial when we reach the summit of Nirvana. Everything in the Samsaric world seems so small and unimportant and even silly when looking at that from the point of Nirvana according to Buddhism.

Some misunderstand that the Prince Siddhartha’s departure from home was a selfish act. This is not true. It was actually a 'selfless' act and not selfish. This is because his intention during this time was not to find enlightenment only for himself but to find it for the sake of other sentient beings that were affected by the suffering of samsara. The Prince Siddartha left his wife and child for a Noble purpose of pursuing enlightenment for the benefit of other beings – he didn’t leave his wife to find 9 other different wives

Enlightenment means one is free from Craving (Lobha), Aversion (Dvesha) and Ignorance (Moha). Enlightenment can only happen in its complete form only when these three poisons are uprooted even in their most subtle forms and not only gross forms. This is called 'Anushaya'. Imagine a coal fire which is turned off. You can see the glowing coal among the ash heaps but even though this is not on fire it doesn't mean that it is safe to approach. Before removing the coal with your hands you must extinguish it absolutely to discard the coal and the ash without causing injury. So the fire has to be extinguished in its entirety. Likewise, all the 3 poisons along with all the mental defilements (Klesha) have to be uprooted in gross, intermediate and subtle levels for complete liberation which means there is no room or reason for any attachment.
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

No_Mind wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:36 am
Dharmasherab wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:01 pm Please be aware that the commonly accepted version of the history is that Prince Siddhartha walked away without the consent of Princess Yasodara. But alternate version of the history say that the Prince Siddhartha did discuss about this with Princess Yasodara and they came to an agreement. That version of the history shows that Princess Yasodara was very understanding and was supportive to his decision. We do not have to be too attached to the idea that which version of the history is correct because well documented history with specific details is just less than 200 years old.
If I could go back to 2013 .. I wish I knew one fact about Buddhism back then

That there are alternative facts in Buddhism .. that there is no one voice, no single version.

:namaste:
I know in our dualistic scientific world we are encouraged to accept one truth or the other. But it is important in Buddhism not to always have this way of looking at things. Remember this is history much older than the time of well-documented history. So there is no problem of taking up both versions or the truth as lying somewhere inbetween the two versions. It is the message that matters - that renunciation is an important part of the path.