visiting Wat Metta late February, suggestions?

A discussion on all aspects of Theravāda Buddhism
JMGinPDX

visiting Wat Metta late February, suggestions?

Post by JMGinPDX »

Hello all -

I'll be visiting Wat Metta in late February (2/22-26).
This will be my first overnight stay in a monastery and one of few visits to any monastic site (I visited Mahapajapati a few years ago and have made occasional visits to the Pacific Hermitage...I haven't even been able to get to Abhayagiri yet!)

I've of course pored over the daily schedule and rules and recommendations and all that, but I wonder if anyone here has any suggestions for overnight monastery visits in general, or specifically for Wat Metta.

I've attended two multi-day non-residential retreats with Ajahn Geoff here at PFOD (nice consequence of being the official videographer and YouTube admin - I get full permission from my family to attend everything :)) and of course listened to his talks and read his books more times than I can count, so I'm familiar with his teaching and style. I also was able to participate in strategizing and purchasing a new sound system for the monastery, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in action!

Thanks!
Right now, it's like this...
Idappaccayata

Re: visiting Wat Metta late February, suggestions?

Post by Idappaccayata »

I was just there for a week! Do you have any specific questions? It's a beautiful place.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
Polar Bear

Post by Polar Bear »

I'd suggest you bring your own tent if you have one and your own meditation cushion if you use one. Also, make sure to wear shoes when doing afternoon chores or you might wind up with poison oak on your feet, which happened to me when I wore flip-flops one time.
:anjali:
"I don't envision a single thing that, when developed & cultivated, leads to such great benefit as the mind. The mind, when developed & cultivated, leads to great benefit."

"I don't envision a single thing that, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about such suffering & stress as the mind. The mind, when undeveloped & uncultivated, brings about suffering & stress."
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

polarbear101 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 pm I'd suggest you bring your own tent if you have one and your own meditation cushion if you use one. Also, make sure to wear shoes when doing afternoon chores or you might wind up with poison oak on your feet, which happened to me when I wore flip-flops one time.
You think so? I actually found the selection of cushions to be quite variegated. Good call on the shoes too. Plus there's a lot of walking, which might be hard in flip flops.

You might not want to camp in February though. I hear it's gonna get quite cold at night. Plus the guest house is very nice.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
JMGinPDX

Post by JMGinPDX »

polarbear101 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 pm I'd suggest you bring your own tent if you have one and your own meditation cushion if you use one. Also, make sure to wear shoes when doing afternoon chores or you might wind up with poison oak on your feet, which happened to me when I wore flip-flops one time.
Thank you!
I'm actually already booked into the guesthouse, so no worries there. Taan Peter has been quite helpful with details.

Thanks for the shoes reminder! I don't wear sandals usually and I have some nice hiking boots that will probably work.
I'll probably rely on their meditation cushions, both from a "space in my rucksack" and "learning to live with things as they are" perspective :)

I actually don't have many SPECIFIC questions, just mostly interested in the experience of others who have gone, and any tips or things you found useful about that or any other monastery. Sorry to be vague :)
Right now, it's like this...
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Do they still have relics at Wat Metta?
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

LG2V wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:43 am Do they still have relics at Wat Metta?
Like Buddha images in the sala?

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Idappaccayatā wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 pm
Like remains of Buddha and famous teachers.
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

LG2V wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 am
Idappaccayatā wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:52 pm
Like remains of Buddha and famous teachers.
Not that I know of. No one mentioned it at least, or they aren't displayed anywhere I saw. Where did you hear that they did?

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
Moanah03

Post by Moanah03 »

JMGinPDX wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:03 pm Hello all -

I'll be visiting Wat Metta in late February (2/22-26).
This will be my first overnight stay in a monastery and one of few visits to any monastic site (I visited Mahapajapati a few years ago and have made occasional visits to the Pacific Hermitage...I haven't even been meilleur taux able to get to Abhayagiri yet!)

I've of course pored over the daily schedule and rules and recommendations and all that, but I wonder if anyone here has any suggestions for overnight monastery visits in general, or specifically for Wat Metta.

I've attended two multi-day non-residential retreats with Ajahn Geoff here at PFOD (nice consequence of being the official videographer and YouTube admin - I get full permission from my family to attend everything :)) and of course listened to his talks and read his books more times than I can count, so I'm familiar with his teaching and style. I also was able to participate in strategizing and purchasing a new sound system for the monastery, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in action!

Thanks!
lucky you :anjali:
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Idappaccayatā wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:01 pm
Not that I know of. No one mentioned it at least, or they aren't displayed anywhere I saw. Where did you hear that they did?
Ajahn Thanissaro is a disciple of Ajahn Fuang, who was one of Ajahn Lee's disciples. Ajahn Lee was famous for his affinity with relics. I think that I've seen relics on display on the Wat Metta website, and I may have heard them mentioned as being there as well (I can't remember).
Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata »

LG2V wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:41 am
Idappaccayatā wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:01 pm
Ajahn Thanissaro is a disciple of Ajahn Fuang, who was one of Ajahn Lee's disciples. Ajahn Lee was famous for his affinity with relics. I think that I've seen relics on display on the Wat Metta website, and I may have heard them mentioned as being there as well (I can't remember).
Hmm that's interesting. I've heard Ajahn Thanissaro mention relics as well, but from my understanding, they were from Ajahn Fuang, and still in Thailand.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

I was there for an ordination in July.
The official ordination was held at Wat Bhuridattavanaram in Ontario (east of LA).
At the Ontario temple, I recall that there is a separate building with many, many relics.
So, if relics call to you, that's a possibility.
Personally, I'd stay at Wat Metta, but thought I would mention it just in case.
(If I could get a job driving Ajaan Geoff to the Ontario temple for some reason, that would be different!)
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
Walter

Post by Walter »

Hello all!

I'm also visiting the monastery, but in late March. For those of you who have been there (or who are currently in touch with the place):

What could be a useful gift for the monks?

Admirable friendship, admirable companionship, admirable camaraderie is actually the whole of the holy life.
When a monk has admirable people as friends, companions, & comrades, he can be expected to develop & pursue the noble eightfold path.

SN 45.2 Upaddha Sutta - Half (of the Holy Life)
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Idappaccayata wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:49 pm Hmm that's interesting. I've heard Ajahn Thanissaro mention relics as well, but from my understanding, they were from Ajahn Fuang, and still in Thailand.
Ok. Thanks for explaining.